How do you know what first class will be serving?

1,538 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 20 days ago by ChoppinDs40
Four Seasons Landscaping
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've flown first class about half a dozen times over the past six years. I typically just do it at the end of trips that I know are going to exhaust me a bit.

The service has ranged from a decently solid meal down to picking three snacks from a tray.

How do you know in advance what kind of service will be provided?
DallasAggie89
AG
I know on American you can select your meal starting 30 days out on the app.
Scruffy
AG
Depends on length of flight.
I forget what it exactly is for American, but in general anything under 3 hours is just picking snacks.
Depending in the cabin crew you might get pre-departure drinks...or if not they might (if go getters) take your order so once in the air they can get drinks out quick.
Kind of a crap shoot.
94chem
I just walk up and peer through curtain to see. Try not to get hit with a jewel-encrusted fart before I can get back to steerage.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
cr06gis
AG
lazuras_dc
AG
So just did 1st with American for the first time this past weekend and got a meal on both outbound and returning flights and we were sub3 hours for both. Didn't ever see a place to choose on the app or website prior to trip. Also, Not sure it has to do with timing either because one was at 1pm (too late for lunch I would think) and then 6pm (makes sense for dinner). Outbound offered alcoholic drinks prior to take off. Return only gave us water prior to take off but of course offered alcoholic drinks once in the air.
JMac03
AG
United I usually get a prompt a few days before to select my meal.

Last time I flew first class with American I was very underwhelmed. Over an hour into the air before even offered a drink (and it didn't come til meals).
agdaddy04
AG
On United it'll tell you at time of booking if it's breakfast, lunch, dinner or snack. I'm in Denver so many of our flights moved from meal to snack service this year. When getting a meal, you get notification at 5 days to pre order if you want.
lazuras_dc
AG
JMac03 said:

United I usually get a prompt a few days before to select my meal.

Last time I flew first class with American I was very underwhelmed. Over an hour into the air before even offered a drink (and it didn't come til meals).

Wow , we had a completely different experience! It's crazy how it can vary so much.
Jock 07
AG
agdaddy04 said:

On United it'll tell you at time of booking if it's breakfast, lunch, dinner or snack. I'm in Denver so many of our flights moved from meal to snack service this year. When getting a meal, you get notification at 5 days to pre order if you want.

Assuming this is for paid tickets? Only time I fly 1st is on an upgrade. Even if the upgrade miraculously clears a couple days before departure I never get the option to pick a meal.

Quality seems to vary widely and in my experience hub to hub upgrades typically have the better meals. All I got for my "meal" last time I got upgraded from DIA to SBA was a cheese plate, don't recall the other offering but it wasn't hot either.

Flying DIA to SAT next week and if I clear an upgrade I'm assuming it'll only be a snack on that one.

I know UAL spells out the flight distance that rates a meal vs just a snack but don't recall the number off the top of my head.
DropDemNuggetz
AG
Obligatory…

https://images.app.goo.gl/tyuMHRTDc93gvfXF6
agdaddy04
AG
Used to be 800 and is now 900 with no exceptions. It's made a pretty big impact, especially from Denver.

Last year, if I got upgraded soon enough I'd get meal choice - only happened twice. Once to LAX and once to San Diego. LAX falls in the new range, so no meals now.
Jock 07
AG
That's some bull*****
ChoppinDs40
AG
Lots of things can impact that. Most importantly, the type of plane, length of flight, weather, current schedule, and then also the hub.

For a prepared meal, you'll need a plane with a galley, so a 737 (airbus equivalent) and above, I believe.

I've had hot meals served on 2 hour flights, however, if weather is bad, they won't have enough time.

I think booze before take-off is purely up to the first class attendant and how much they want to hustle. Also, some planes have to board faster based on delays or whatever.

American lets you choose in the app prior to flying but I don't think I've ever had the option when upgraded.

A hot omelette and 4-5 mimosas on the way to Mexico is a nice way to kickstart vacation.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.