Reims/Champagne

483 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 17 days ago by Danger Mouse
Danger Mouse
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
During my June trip to France, we are gonna spend a weekend in Reims. Have already scheduled a tour of one Champagne house (Pommery), and will do a few others. Any suggestions and recommendations (lodging, dining, tours) would be most appreciated.
Class of '91 (MEEN)
CowboyGirl
AG
Reins is fantastic and Pommery is a great choice to start. I only got to spend one day touring and tasting and we were still able to see a lot. The Cathedral/Palace of Tau/Basilica/Museum are must sees.

I would suggest picking only a few "big name" places to tour and spend more time finding smaller/family wineries to taste at. The tours will be pretty much the same at all properties. I really enjoyed Lanson and Tattinger. This list is a good place to start: https://www.champagne-booking.com/en/champagne-houses/?fromPoint=49.26528,4.02861,25&sort_by=asc%3Adistance&title=Champagne%20Houses%20in%20Reims%20and%20nearby

Also, it's fun to walk in the vineyards and see which houses have grapes in certain rows. A few rows up or down and the soil/sun/fog/etc. affect the vines differently.

If you want to balance champagne and history, Verdun is about an hour train ride away.

Danger Mouse
AG
Thanks greatly for the information. We are generally spontaneous, so your suggestions align with that perfectly.
Class of '91 (MEEN)
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.