First time to Europe suggestion

1,777 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by HollywoodBQ
valvemonkey91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Planning a trip in October. 10 days. Looking for suggestions.

What is best recommendation for a 10 day trip without spending too much time traveling between places. There is so much to see and I'm trying not to spread myself too thin. TIA for the suggestions by those who've "been there done that".

wangus12
AG
What do you like to do? Your interests?
2wealfth Man
AG
Pick a place / region and focus on that. Especially for 10 days. In October I would tend to focus on Southern Europe (Spain, Italy or Greece)

Spain -Barcelona, Madrid to Sevilla all have high speed rail connections.

Italy - Florence, Venice Rome

Greece - Athens and a couple of Islands (Santorini and Crete or Rhodes)
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
I second the pick a region suggestion. We did our first European trip last fall, 13 days, did 3 days in Rome, a cruise covering the Amalfi Coast and Sicily in Italy, Santorini and Mykonos in Greece, Ephasus in Turkey, and then we finished with 2 days in Athens.

Fantastic trip, got to see a ton, but all those places are pretty close.

That being said, we opted for that because it being our first trip to Europe, I wasn't confident in my ability to put together a "do it yourself" trip on my own. People encouraged me to do it, but I just preferred the ease of transportation provided by a cruise. I'd not shy away from a do it on your own itinerary if you are thinking about it. Navigating the trains and subways was as easy as can be. Everything was provided in English, and your phone maps will even give you step by step instructions.

JobSecurity
AG
Spain and Portugal
valvemonkey91
AG
Completely open to most everything except hiking (bad knee). Good with museums, war stuff, wine, art, festivals, etc.
will Christmas markets in Germany be open in October?
2wealfth Man
AG
No Christmas markets until after Thanksgiving
Greener Acres
AG
Most Christmas markets wont open until the end of November.

If you haven't booked flights yet, start there. Pick one of the many cities you can fly direct to from your closest international airport.

For a first trip I'd look at either flying to Madrid, Paris, Rome, or London. You wont have to worry about a language barrier for most of this as there is enough tourism from English speaking places that its widely accepted though Paris will be the most difficult but wont be a problem.

Paris/France. For your first trip this will feel like a bit of an adventure because the language and food is different enough. Plus you have easy access to fantastic War/History sites, great food, wine and art. You can go to Normandy and any of the wine regions. I'd pick one wine region and do several days in Paris, give yourself a day plus to go see Normandy, then a few days in a wine region. Then back to Paris to head home.

Madrid/Spain - To me this is harder as I've spent several different weeks in Spain and still haven't seen everything. You could fly to Madrid (great art and food) then either go south (Sevilla/Granada/Cordoba)(great history and food) or head north to San Sebastian and possibly over to Barcelona. The southern route will give you old history (Moors/Catholics/Jews and the real history of how Spain became a country). In the north you'll get fantastic food and wine plus some WWII history and the rebellious regions of the Basque and Catalans.

Rome/Italy - this is the second easiest option. You'll get great food, wine, art, and history. Plus its easy as the food as is all pretty recognizable or you can at least always get something you know. Fly to Rome and either take the high speed train up through Florence then Bologna then to Venice and spend a few days in each. Or go up to Milan and see Pisa and the Cinque Terre. For a first trip I'd recommend the Florence/Bologna/Venice trip as the Cinque Terre may be rough on your knees.

London/England - This is the easiest as you'll have no language problem, the world's food is here so you can eat anything. The old axiom about British food not being good is fairly accurate, but they have Chinese/Indian/Italian/whatever else they tried to conquer. Great history if you're into the Monarchy and WWII. There's also good access throughout the City on the Tube.

Of all of these, I think France/Spain/Italy will give you the best vibe of being in a European city. London is a great place to go see, there is tons of history and its easy. But walking through most of London wont give you that real iconic look/feel you'll get in the others.
StinkyPinky
AG
Regional is definitely the way to go. For a first time I'd also recommend the southern region, but would also include Switzerland to the list below. A future trip could be Ireland, Scotland, England. I'd also plan one day for eastern Europe with Prague being the crown jewel. Such a totally different but amazing experience.
MAROON
AG
2wealfth Man said:

Vienna markets are open before Thanksgiving, so were some in Salzburg. But I see the OP asked about Germany. Munich was setting up but, yes they were after T-Day.

Vienna is fantastic by the way.

But yes, pick a region to explore as opposed to a lot of long train rides.

Provence is a great spot.
FancyKetchup14
AG
Greener Acres really did a solid here. I think everyone will recommend picking a region. If you want warmth, stick to the Med, if you want a real fall, you'll get that pretty much anywhere north of Milan.

IMO, if I had 10 days I'd pick one of the following countries/regions:

• France
  • Spain (specifically Andalusia) and maybe add on Lisbon
  • Italy
  • Switzerland/Bavaria
  • Netherlands/Denmark or Netherlands/Belgium
  • Munich/Salzburg/Vienna
  • Greece

barbacoa taco
AG
2 countries max, 3 cities max. do not try to do more than this or it will make your trip less fun and more stressful.

fly into one city and out another.

which places you go is up to you. for Europe first timers, the classic destinations are London and Paris. Both major tourist hubs with a ton to do, and both have major international airports. Traveling between the two is easy and fast via the chunnel.

Other country/city pairings that would be fun:

Rome/Barcelona
Rome/Florence
Madrid/Barcelona
Amsterdam/Munich
Paris/Amsterdam
London/Dublin
London/Edinburgh

Going in the fall will be nice because the busy tourist season will be over and places won't be near as crowded. But be sure to bring warm clothes. Europe gets chilly outside the summer months.
MAROON
AG
FancyKetchup14 said:

Greener Acres really did a solid here. I think everyone will recommend picking a region. If you want warmth, stick to the Med, if you want a real fall, you'll get that pretty much anywhere north of Milan.

IMO, if I had 10 days I'd pick one of the following countries/regions:

• France
  • Spain (specifically Andalusia) and maybe add on Lisbon
  • Italy
  • Switzerland/Bavaria
  • Netherlands/Denmark or Netherlands/Belgium
  • Munich/Salzburg/Vienna
  • Greece

did that trip in reverse order this past November. it was a fantastic week. Really love Vienna after that trip.
McNasty
AG
Oktoberfest in Munich may be an option - early October, I think.
FancyKetchup14
AG
It's the last two weeks of September. And if you don't have accommodation by now you won't find anything in Munich unless you feel like paying out the ass.
HollywoodBQ
AG
MAROON said:

2wealfth Man said:

Vienna markets are open before Thanksgiving, so were some in Salzburg. But I see the OP asked about Germany. Munich was setting up but, yes they were after T-Day.

Vienna is fantastic by the way.

But yes, pick a region to explore as opposed to a lot of long train rides.

Provence is a great spot.
I was in Vienna on US Election Day in 2016 and the Christmas Markets were just starting to open.

Really enjoyed wearing my MAGA hat around the next day and breaking Euros minds.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Totally agree with the not more than 3 cities advice.

First question is: Do you plan on going back?
Second question is: Do you just want a sampler platter, or is there a particular country you're really interested in?
Third question is: Do you care more about ancient history or modern culture?

If you're only going to make it to Europe once, my recommendations are:
  • Rome
  • Paris
Then, based on the airline you're flying pick one of:
  • Amsterdam
  • Munich (or Berlin)
  • London
  • Vienna
  • Budapest
  • Madrid
Back in 1978, we flew in to Amsterdam and then took the train to Heidelberg, then to Paris, then back to Amsterdam. The Rhine was in a 500 year flood so that was memorable.
TexasAggie81
2wealfth Man said:

Pick a place / region and focus on that. Especially for 10 days. In October I would tend to focus on Southern Europe (Spain, Italy or Greece)

Spain -Barcelona, Madrid to Sevilla all have high speed rail connections.

Italy - Florence, Venice Rome

Greece - Athens and a couple of Islands (Santorini and Crete or Rhodes)

High speed rail exists between Valencia and Madrid and Barcelona. About 1:45 for both trips.
barbacoa taco
AG
the Renfe is awesome

A great trip I did once is start in Madrid then take the train to Granada and Seville. Those cities are freaking AWESOME and should be great weather in the fall. Then train back and spend one night in Madrid then fly out.

Spain is one of those countries I could spend weeks in and never get bored.
jh0400
AG
Alsace in the fall is a blast. Fly to Paris and take the train up to Colmar. You can rent a car and visit surrounding towns like Eguisheim or Riquewihr, or take a train to Strasbourg or Basel.
chick79
AG
If you're "old" like 55+ you can't go wrong with a Viking River cruise. Try the Danube or Rhine.
valvemonkey91
AG
HollywoodBQ said:

Second question is: Do you just want a sampler platter, or is there a particular country you're really interested in?

• Rome
  • Paris
  • Amsterdam
  • Munich (or Berlin)
  • London
  • Vienna
  • Budapest
  • Madrid
Back in 1978, we flew in to Amsterdam and then took the train to Heidelberg, then to Paris, then back to Amsterdam. The Rhine was in a 500 year flood so that was memorable.

1. Yes I plan on returning. I really want to do the Camino de Santiago (but not this trip). Getting my knees back in shape this year.

2.sampler platter or one region is cool. Either way

3 would like to focus on some WWII stuff without boring the hell out of my wife and some ancient history. We are 55+ and not into any modern culture or hipster places. Would like to focus on WWII, food wine and art.

I know Paris and Rome fits this criteria but any advice to stay away from Paris or Rome due to the things I see about how dirty and somewhat dangerous they have become? Should I go to Austria to see Bertesgarten instead?
Aggie87
AG
valvemonkey91 said:

HollywoodBQ said:

• Rome
  • Paris
  • Amsterdam
  • Munich (or Berlin)
  • London
  • Vienna
  • Budapest
  • Madrid

1. Yes I plan on returning. I really want to do the Camino de Santiago (but not this trip). Getting my knees back in shape this year.

3 would like to focus on some WWII stuff without boring the hell out of my wife and some ancient history. We are 55+ and not into any modern culture or hipster places. Would like to focus on WWII, food wine and art.

I know Paris and Rome fits this criteria but any advice to stay away from Paris or Rome due to the things I see about how dirty and somewhat dangerous they have become? Should I go to Austria to see Bertesgarten instead?

Rome has always had pickpockets, so you need to be aware of that. It's been that way forever, at least as far back as my first visit in 1980. Use common sense and don't carry valuables, and don't keep your wallet in your back pocket. You should be fine otherwise. Don't let that reputation scare you off from what is an amazing city.

Paris is also a large city, so like any large city use common sense there as well.
Mas89
AG
London and then different destinations in the England countryside. We stayed 5 days in the city but plan to see other areas the next time we go. We went a couple months ago and had a great time. Highlights:
1. They speak English and were very friendly. The city was very clean. Loved the old statues. Especially the ones with Lions.
2. There was a pub on every block it seemed like. Found some great ones and really liked the pub food.
3. Uber and the subway were very easy to use. The open air bus tours with the ear piece were great.
4. The old churches and buildings are amazing. Just so much history to see.
5. My favorite were the museums with old arms and armor. 1,000 year old metal swords and spears, metal armor. Our country's Indians would have never had a chance against those guys.
6. We saw all of the tourist highlights and had fun.
7. Did I mention the pubs were great, everyone was friendly, and they all spoke English? What more could a valve monkey ask for?
bones75
AG
For a first-time trip to Europe, consider a 5-star travel tour (like Insight Travel). This is what my wife and I did years ago. We have since, always travelled independently (enjoy the great train service or rental car), but, we felt like the tour was a great way to get a "taste" of Europe, and would also be a way to see some highlights in case you don't get a chance to go back anytime soon. They handle your luggage, hotels, etc., but also give you free time to explore. Our guide spoke multiple languages and gave us a lot of insight into the various cultures, while on the bus. In certain areas, they have arranged local guides, all of whom were excellent.

If you wanted more time on your own, you could plan several days, before or after the tour, in France, Germany, Italy, or wherever.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
wildcat08
AG
Aggie87 said:

valvemonkey91 said:

HollywoodBQ said:

• Rome
  • Paris
  • Amsterdam
  • Munich (or Berlin)
  • London
  • Vienna
  • Budapest
  • Madrid

Rome has always had pickpockets, so you need to be aware of that. It's been that way forever, at least as far back as my first visit in 1980. Use common sense and don't carry valuables, and don't keep your wallet in your back pocket. You should be fine otherwise. Don't let that reputation scare you off from what is an amazing city.

Paris is also a large city, so like any large city use common sense there as well.
We were just in Rome (with Insight, who another poster recommended). I was paranoid about pickpockets, to the point I bought Clothing Arts pants for their security features, but we were never in a situation where it would be an issue. That's the only time we have been there, so maybe it was the slow season, but we never had anyone close enough to us to get anything.
TXCityAggie
AG
Italy. Start in Rome and then spend a few days in Tuscany before ending in Venice. For me, nothing in Europe comes close to matching Italy.
HollywoodBQ
AG
I forgot to mention, if you're planning on going this summer, Paris is hosting the Summer Olympics from Fri, Jul 26, 2024 Sun, Aug 11, 2024, so you'll definitely want to avoid Paris then.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.