48 hours in Brussels

1,222 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by Ovalo
04aggiegirl
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have another work tour de EU coming up this (early) summer. Looking for an easy trip (ie train) from Amsterdam. I've never been to Brussels so I was thinking that would be a good/ easy weekend trip.

Any suggestions on must see things or places to avoid?

I typically book a food/drink walking tour when I'm a new location, but very open to suggestions.
Danger Mouse
AG
I strongly suggest Bruges over Brussels. Very quant city with canals, very nice restaurants, and lots of history.

Should you goto Brussels visit the Grand Place. Mannequin Pis is nearby. Lots of restaurants and pubs. As a huge Belgian bier fan, I highly suggest tasting some of the finest beers in the world.
Class of '91 (MEEN)
Marauder Blue 6
AG
Have a sandwich at Tonton Garby.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g188644-d5826726-Reviews-Tonton_Garby-Brussels.html
TX04Aggie
AG
Yeah you can so Brussels in a day to be honest.
FancyKetchup14
AG
Danger Mouse said:

I strongly suggest Bruges over Brussels. Very quant city with canals, very nice restaurants, and lots of history.

Should you goto Brussels visit the Grand Place. Mannequin Pis is nearby. Lots of restaurants and pubs. As a huge Belgian bier fan, I highly suggest tasting some of the finest beers in the world.

Yeah. Do Bruges over Brussels. It's one of the coolest little towns in Europe.
ATM9000
AG
Brussels is fine. I live in London and been a couple times for various reasons. But if I'd liken it to something in the States, going there instead of just heading to London or Paris on the Eurostar I'd liken to if you were in New York and opted to do a weekend trip to Hartford instead of going to Boston for example because it happens to be a little bit closer.

Living this side of the world, the family and I have been to a fair amount of places. The first time I went to Brussels, it was with the family and we did it last minute because there was a great deal to go there on the Eurostar packaged with a nice hotel near Grand Place. It was definitely a nice weekend but not a very memorable one. I remember it being a good time with nice food and beer and going to a place with a bunch of miniatures of different countries and walking by Mannequin Pis a couple of times… other than that? I can't recall exactly how we killed the time that weekend which means it is really a very run of the mill place.

Outside of that, agreed Bruges is a nice call to go from Amsterdam.
Aggie71013
AG
Bruges is over touristed. I went in December. Even early in the day in the off season on a weekday by about 10 or 11 am it was too crowded to have charm.
Aggie87
AG
I went to Bruges in September last year (first visit was in 1980, and more recently in 2003), and it had charm. Yes it's touristy, but it's more interesting IMO than Brussels. Beautiful scenery, architecture, tasty food and beer.

Stop in the Church of Our Lady and see the Madonna of Bruges sculpture. It is the first work by Michelangelo to be displayed outside of Italy in his lifetime. It was stolen during the French Revolution, and later returned after Napoleon was defeated. Then it was stolen by Hitler's troops, and later recovered by the Monuments Men (and features in the movie).
karmapoliceman
AG
I would definitely vote for Bruges.

If you visit, consider watching the movie "In Bruges" before you go. It's a great movie, I felt like I knew the city a bit afterward (even though I really didn't), and having watched it added a bit of fun to the visit.
ATM9000
AG
Aggie71013 said:

Bruges is over touristed. I went in December. Even early in the day in the off season on a weekday by about 10 or 11 am it was too crowded to have charm.

I always like this criticism by tourists for tourists.

'It's important that I'm the only person in this place wearing cargo shorts, New Balance shoes and a baseball cap!'
Aggie71013
AG
I'm certainly part of the problem and realize the irony in that.
FbgTxAg
AG
ATM9000 said:

Brussels is fine. I live in London and been a couple times for various reasons. But if I'd liken it to something in the States, going there instead of just heading to London or Paris on the Eurostar I'd liken to if you were in New York and opted to do a weekend trip to Hartford instead of going to Boston for example because it happens to be a little bit closer.

Living this side of the world, the family and I have been to a fair amount of places. The first time I went to Brussels, it was with the family and we did it last minute because there was a great deal to go there on the Eurostar packaged with a nice hotel near Grand Place. It was definitely a nice weekend but not a very memorable one. I remember it being a good time with nice food and beer and going to a place with a bunch of miniatures of different countries and walking by Mannequin Pis a couple of times… other than that? I can't recall exactly how we killed the time that weekend which means it is really a very run of the mill place.

You don't have stars or I'd PM you. Sorry to derail.

What's the best option to get off a cruise ship in Southampton and get to the Heathrow vicinity? Just a solo traveler debarking a ship and flying back to Dallas early the next morning. One suitcase and a backpack.

Cruise shuttle only takes you if you fly out day of debark.

Gracias.
Marauder Blue 6
AG
FbgTxAg said:

ATM9000 said:

What's the best option to get off a cruise ship in Southampton and get to the Heathrow vicinity? Just a solo traveler debarking a ship and flying back to Dallas early the next morning. One suitcase and a backpack.

Gracias.
Train.

https://www.southwesternrailway.com/train-times/southampton-central-to-london-waterloo

You can also take the cruise line transfer. They'll want flight info if you book it prior to departure but you can just book it onboard at Guest Services and they will make the arrangements. They also may leave a form in your cabin to let them know if you require transportation.
ATM9000
AG
FbgTxAg said:

ATM9000 said:

Gracias.

I've only been down to Southampton like one time and don't know that area really well so I might not be much help here. What I do know is the Southwestern Rail runs there to London Waterloo. You can get to Waterloo then take the Northern Line to Tottenham Court then take the Elizabeth Line to Heathrow. Suspect that's a really long journey though… probably 2 hours or so but probably the most optimal for you through London at least.

Other thing to look at is Southwestern Rail on the Southampton route goes through Woking. Woking is a pretty big interchange and I wouldn't be shocked if they've got a shuttle to Heathrow. Even if not, Woking isn't that far from Heathrow and in a busy area so getting a cab or Uber the rest of the way shouldn't be too bad or super expensive.
I bleed maroon
AG
Danger Mouse said:

No doubt, Bruges is great. If you can do a day or two there, it's time well spent. I haven't been since 20 years ago, but it's on my list for a return visit.

I might be in the minority, but I think Brussels is also a wonderful place, in fact, I strongly prefer it to Paris (it's kind of a more compact, much safer feeling place, with nicer people). Definitely sample a number of Belgian beers (maybe a few trappist or monk beers), as it makes things like the Manekin Pis statue or a Marionette show more fun. Have some waffles (if you must) or french fries with mayonnaise, and sample some chocolate. There are very good restaurants throughout the center city area. We visit the Sablon neighborhood every visit, and it's a great place to stroll and relax.
04aggiegirl
AG
Thanks all for the responses.

TBH the only thing I know about Bruges is the Colin Ferrel movie. Recently went to London and I'm not too keen on Paris.

Glad to hear Brussels seems safe, I've heard mixed reviews and as a female traveler, it's always something to consider.
Aggie71013
AG
Brussels has had a history of terrorist activity, but not sure it's unsafe for other crime. Enjoy!
ATM9000
AG
04aggiegirl said:

Thanks all for the responses.

TBH the only thing I know about Bruges is the Colin Ferrel movie. Recently went to London and I'm not too keen on Paris.

Glad to hear Brussels seems safe, I've heard mixed reviews and as a female traveler, it's always something to consider.

Brussels has some rough areas but if you are there for 48 hours, you are probably staying pretty central which is just fine.

Curious on your phrasing re: Paris. Is it just no interest in going or you've been and don't want to go back?

Paris is a ridiculously polarizing place. Loads of people I know here either absolutely love it or completely loathe it. When I moved to this side of the world, I'd never been and had zero interest in going ever just picturing boring art, snobby people in berets having their cigarettes and coffee breakfast.

My wife had been multiple times and really loved it. I gave it a chance and have been multiple times. It's big, it's crowded, but it is a really fun city and is still pretty safe unless you venture out of the centers of the city.
KRamp90
AG
Love Paris! But I would not try to see it in just a weekend.
Danger Mouse
AG
Finding a major city on this planet without any sketchy areas would be a first. Don't let that deter you from traveling.
Class of '91 (MEEN)
04aggiegirl
AG
It's more of a 'been there done that' a few times and no desire to go back. Similar sentiments for other cities in France, however they said, I've never been to southern France, so that's still on the list.
Jock 07
AG
By far the coolest brewery I've toured.

https://www.cantillon.be

Oh and I'd certainly make a play to take the short drive over to Bastogne as well.
FancyKetchup14
AG
Cantillon rips.

Also, 't Brugs Beerje in Bruges is just about the greatest beer bar in the world.
FriscoAg
AG
If you stick with Brussels, would recommend the Coudenberg Palace underground tour. We also did a day trip to Bruges and Gent which I'd recommend.
Ovalo
AG
If you want to take a day trip and you really enjoy beer, I'd suggest a trip to the monastery at Westvleteren. At one time, this beer was rated best beer in the world for 11 of 16years. Now they are rating new beers (sours and such) as #1 beers in the world. I once saw a single beer from this monastery at a beer shop in Brussels priced at 23 euros. A six pack at the monastery will cost 30 euro but it's always worth it to me. You'll also find other Trappist beer in Brussels that are also good.
For what it's worth, I'm in Frankfurt and heading home on this Friday with a case of Westvleteren beer in my suitcase.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.