Southwest pulling out of IAH

1,177 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 11 days ago by YouBet
TXTransplant
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This really sucks. I've flown SW out of IAH several times. To Orlando, through Nashville, and through Vegas. Flights were all packed. They are the only legit competition for United who is charging ridiculous fares out of IAH, especially to smaller airports.
BSD
AG
IAH to Vegas always had good times for me. But even worse (for me), they pulled out of Cozumel. If you don't go direct on United now, you'll have to fly into Cancun, catch a shuttle to Playa Del Carmen, and then hop the ferry over. Ugh.
SoTheySay
S
Noooooo. This is awful news for me.
TXTransplant
They have pulled out of airports before and then returned (Jackson, MS comes to mind), so we can hope this is only temporary. United really needs the competition out of Bush on domestic flights.
CDub06
AG
I hated flying out of that SWA gate at IAH. But I imagine they'll be back. Boeing is cutting the number of deliveries, so all airlines are having to pull back. This was a no brainer as they've already got a huge presence in the Houston market.
TXTransplant
That gate arrangement is a disaster. It's too small. At any given time, there are 2-3 flights leaving within close proximity of each other. There is not enough room for people to line up, the people coming down the escalator step off directly into the group of people lined up trying to board, and there isn't enough seating.

We were there week before last, and I could tell it was a frustrating situation for the gate agents. They were very annoyed with passengers (some of whom were being idiots), but the overall chaos of the situation just makes it worse.
HtownAg19
AG
CDub06 said:

I hated flying out of that SWA gate at IAH. But I imagine they'll be back. Boeing is cutting the number of deliveries, so all airlines are having to pull back. This was a no brainer as they've already got a huge presence in the Houston market.

I think the approximately 50% load factor has more to do with pulling out of IAH than anything else
YouBet
AG
TXTransplant said:

They have pulled out of airports before and then returned (Jackson, MS comes to mind), so we can hope this is only temporary. United really needs the competition out of Bush on domestic flights.

This is the second time they've left IAH.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.