Chicago Hotel for Small Family

591 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 9 days ago by Fairview
10andBOUNCE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking for hotel recommendations for my wife, son and I to spend a long weekend in Chicago. Plan is to check out a few of the museums in addition to a Sunday afternoon Cubs game on his birthday. Priorities would be a clean and safe area that we could walk where we need to go. Hoping to keep it to less than ~$300 per night.

As far as transport to/from ORD - would Uber be our best bet?
Garrelli 5000
AG
Take the trash out staff.
apoglo12
AG
We have done the Chicago Athletic Association multiple times. Not sure how old your kid is (mine are very little) but it's across the street from the Bean and Millenium Park. Very unique hotel as well.
AustinCountyAg
stayed at Londonhouse before. Thought the hotel was very nice, great location (close to museums), large rooms, and affordable.
The Milkman
AG
apoglo12 said:

We have done the Chicago Athletic Association multiple times. Not sure how old your kid is (mine are very little) but it's across the street from the Bean and Millenium Park. Very unique hotel as well.
CAA is great and my fav hotel (and rooftop bar) in Chicago. But unless going at an off time probably not going to get it under $300/night
Martin87
AG
We have stayed at the Residence Inn - Downtown, Magnificent Mile - several times. Close to everything.
Fairview
AG
I always like the Palmer House. It's a Hilton property and I'm a Marriott guy but it's a cool historic hotel. Only warning is because it's historic room sizes vary a lot.

Blue line is you best best to get into town. Traffic to and from Ohare is always crap and the blue line is super straightforward and the fastest (and cheapest) way into town. Even when I'm not paying traveling for work I take the blue line.
10andBOUNCE
AG
I'd love to be able to take the train into town, but this is the year 2024 and we can ignore the current political and social climate regarding safety. What's your take on this being a safe option? Maybe it's overblown?
Fairview
AG
I guess it's where you draw the line. I've never felt unsafe on the blue line. Most of the people on are going to or from Ohare on it. Are there weird people on them occasionally for sure but nothing different now than 10 years ago in my experience.

I was in NYC last year with my family when the Israel Hamas stuff happened and we took the subway when it was rush hour and it was fine. It was honestly worse on the streets because of protests there. Are US subways worse than European? 1000%, but it's always been that way.

At Ohare they are housing illegals in the building they used to be where you wait for hotel shuttles. Now you wait for hotel shuttles outside that building and see in where they have them all staying. Thats a little uncomfortable but you won't be by that area.

My point being is that if what you said is a real concern just being out in tourist places are equally as concerning. All that said do what you are comfortable with. An Uber will be more comfortable but may take 30 minutes longer and cost a bit more. No big deal. Just follow your gut.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.