Buying physical gold/silver
258,606 Views | 1828 Replies
Outdoorag011
4:28p, 4/11/22
In reply to Esteban du Plantier
Generally a good rule of thumb, but I've known him a long time and he knew me when I was a dealer in precious metals…. so cats already out of the bag when it comes to him knowing haha
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
7:25a, 4/12/22
Esteban du Plantier said:

Red Pear Realty said:

Year over year

Gold up 12% vs a year vs SPY up 6%.

But why does that matter? Gold is not an investment so why compare to an investment?

It matters when/because your real return in the stock market is negative.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
jagvocate
2:14p, 4/13/22
Gold and Silver quietly inching up.

Gold and Silver miners showing signs (volume + price movement) of institutional buying.

Buying opportunities for precious metals will only last so long and then it's off-putting bragging posts that no one likes
Post removed:
by user
7:24p, 4/13/22
jagvocate
8:39p, 4/13/22
In reply to [removed post]
I have auto purchases 2x a month but am about to get cashed out on some land that I sold on owner financing. I plan on putting it all into 100oz silver bars, but am afraid the prices will be a lot higher by the time we close next week. Oh well, it's for the long term and I don't need to touch anything for years (if it goes up).

In short, I'm keeping the dollar cost averaging purchases going but putting as much as I can into physical silver and some gold until prices rise another 20 percent ...
bkag9824
9:10p, 4/13/22
In reply to jagvocate
I think you've shared it before on this thread, but where do you purchase?
Outdoorag011
9:27p, 4/13/22
I think it would be cool if we got a group text or group email chain going or whatever platform where we can share "in an easier format than Texags" some of the pieces of our stacks. Anyone down for this? We can make it anonymous like here, make it more safe/secure but be able to talk and show cool coins/bars with a group. Or we don't have to make it anonymous. We could decide as a group.

Would anyone want to do this, or no?
Post removed:
by user
10:51p, 4/13/22
jagvocate
12:51a, 4/14/22
In reply to bkag9824
bkag9824 said:

I think you've shared it before on this thread, but where do you purchase?
I use APMEX mostly and a local coin dealer sometimes. I buy for myself and a few family membersI'm the first to admit that lower prices can often be had by patiently searching the net but since 2007 they've never messed up an order for me and their website user interface is simple and easy and that counts in my book.
mwp02ag
5:35a, 4/14/22
I'm in!
Definitely Not A Cop
6:30a, 4/14/22
What's your favorite form of gold to buy? Just bars, or do you prefer a specific coin, like a krugerrand or maple leaf? And why?
aunuwyn08
9:09a, 4/14/22
For my tastes nothing beats a gold buffalo. US sovereign coin, and such a timeless and handsome design.
jthonen
9:23a, 4/14/22
In reply to jagvocate
jagvocate said:

I have auto purchases 2x a month but am about to get cashed out on some land that I sold on owner financing. I plan on putting it all into 100oz silver bars, but am afraid the prices will be a lot higher by the time we close next week. Oh well, it's for the long term and I don't need to touch anything for years (if it goes up).

In short, I'm keeping the dollar cost averaging purchases going but putting as much as I can into physical silver and some gold until prices rise another 20 percent ...
If you've mind lugging around and storing a 70 bar, this is the better bang for the buck than those 100 oz bars.

https://sdbullion.com/silver/silver-bars/1000-oz-silver-bars
ChiefKiefton
9:25a, 4/14/22
In reply to Outdoorag011
Outdoorag011 said:

I think it would be cool if we got a group text or group email chain going or whatever platform where we can share "in an easier format than Texags" some of the pieces of our stacks. Anyone down for this? We can make it anonymous like here, make it more safe/secure but be able to talk and show cool coins/bars with a group. Or we don't have to make it anonymous. We could decide as a group.

Would anyone want to do this, or no?
Discord would be great!
Post removed:
by user
9:29a, 4/14/22
Esteban du Plantier
10:34a, 4/14/22
In reply to Definitely Not A Cop
Definitely Not A Cop said:

What's your favorite form of gold to buy? Just bars, or do you prefer a specific coin, like a krugerrand or maple leaf? And why?

British sovereign, French rooster, Mexican 2.5 peso, etc.

Lower premium, small denominations.
Outdoorag011
11:31a, 4/14/22
The page is started on discord! It is title PM Stacking. This is the link to join.

https://discord.gg/T4d689uR

I figured it would be easiest if everyone signed up with the username that you use here on Texags. You don't have to put your real name or info if you want to be as safe/cautious as possible.

Once again this will be an easier platform to talk all things precious metals, post pics/videos of cool coins/bars you have in your stack or that you just bought. Any and all are welcome. You don't have to be a seasoned precious metals person to join! I'm excited to get this going and talk PMs!
jagvocate
12:53p, 4/14/22
by user
11:59p, 4/15/22
HarleySpoon
10:04a, 4/26/22
Any of you guys ever buy sterling flatware......92.5% silver? Any thoughts?
Esteban du Plantier
11:08a, 4/26/22
In reply to HarleySpoon
I have a big 'ol sack of sterling.

I've cast some as ingots to save space, other stuff is as-is.
HarleySpoon
12:01p, 4/26/22

Do you cast it yourself or take to a smelter? Cost to do your own casting? Cost of smelter....options for casti ng at smelter?
Esteban du Plantier
12:27p, 4/26/22
In reply to HarleySpoon
HarleySpoon said:

Do you cast it yourself or take to a smelter? Cost to do your own casting? Cost of smelter....options for casti ng at smelter?

Cast myself. I have an oxy/propane rig set up to cast gold and silver. I already had the gasses, so the torch itself was a couple hundred bucks, a crucible and graphite mold are under $20 on Amazon.

I didn't refine it, so it's still sterling, just sterling bricks instead of spoons and cups.
oklaunion
3:57p, 5/12/22
Silver below 21 now.
Owen Kellogg
6:06p, 5/12/22
Why isn't inflation increasing gold/silver prices?
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
6:28p, 5/12/22
In reply to Owen Kellogg
BackRoad Dan said:

Why isn't inflation increasing gold/silver prices?

Inflation is, but a lot of folks are very scared right now, and are moving into the dollar as a safe haven, which is driving the price of gold and silver down against the dollar. Look at gold priced in Yen over the last year as a contrast to USD.

I also believe silver is one of the most manipulated assets on planet earth, so that factors in as well. The attacks on crypto over the last week were definitely coordinated and similarly done on silver as well.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
Post removed:
by user
6:31p, 5/12/22
oklaunion
5:00a, 5/13/22
Of course you aren't going to be able to purchase at spot but buffaloes are to be had at 4-5 bucks over. I gave up on SAEs.
Post removed:
by user
11:58p, 5/15/22
aunuwyn08
1:21a, 5/16/22
In reply to [removed post]
Or numismatics so your investments are insulated against spot price movements.
Post removed:
by user
2:00a, 5/16/22
Post removed:
by user
2:53p, 5/16/22
maddiedou
4:13p, 5/24/22
I am getting ready for Russia to invade USA
I am seriously more excited about the grade than it being a gold coin
Mas89
7:27a, 5/25/22
In reply to maddiedou
Good idea to verify I D with the grading service. Years ago I purchased a rare 3$ gold coin and a trade dollar. Decide later to sell both thru Heritage Auctions. Both turned out to be fakes after I shipped to Heritage.

Luckily, the local coin shop I had purchased them from refunded my money and took the coins back.
jagvocate
10:34p, 6/6/22
Went for the random 10oz bullion deal at APMEX and got these. Not angry at all.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 19 of 53
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings