Buying physical gold/silver
258,577 Views | 1828 Replies
jetch17
8:35p, 1/1/24
I'd probably be interested in non-IRA physical bullion for now

I do like texmetals site, very informative
jetch17
2:49p, 1/2/24
Well i guess I'm going to jump in and start with picking up some Silver Eagles - $23 spot to start the year seems ok to me to start small and start watching dips etc

just a newb here but looking forward to some beginner stacking
Aggiemike96
2:23p, 1/3/24
Nice dip today to add 20 oz to the silver stack.
Todd 02
2:28p, 1/3/24
I'm officially in the game. Monument Metals is offering a Monument Starter Pack - 5 Silver Rounds at Spot Price of Golden State Mint Buffalo 1oz Silver Rounds for first time customers for anyone else that is interested.

I also got a Walmart card and have been waiting and hoping for APMEX 1 oz gold bars to drop back below $2,100 before picking up a few. Was within about $4 this morning but back up to $2,116.99 at the time of this post.

ETA: Thank you all for this very educational thread!
jagvocate
6:46p, 1/3/24
In reply to Todd 02
Todd 02 said:

I'm officially in the game. Monument Metals is offering a Monument Starter Pack - 5 Silver Rounds at Spot Price of Golden State Mint Buffalo 1oz Silver Rounds for first time customers for anyone else that is interested.

I also got a Walmart card and have been waiting and hoping for APMEX 1 oz gold bars to drop back below $2,100 before picking up a few. Was within about $4 this morning but back up to $2,116.99 at the time of this post.

Todd, I own some APMEX gold and silver bars. If I had it to do over again, I'd buy 1oz Gold Eagles, 1oz Silver Eagles, and 1oz Gold Buffalo coins. Some dealers will tell you that buying APMEX bars means advertising for their competition when they try to sell so they'll undercut market

Just a few thoughts, good luck!
joekm3
7:33p, 1/3/24
In reply to jagvocate
jagvocate said:

Todd 02 said:

Todd, I own some APMEX gold and silver bars. If I had it to do over again, I'd buy 1oz Gold Eagles, 1oz Silver Eagles, and 1oz Gold Buffalo coins. Some dealers will tell you that buying APMEX bars means advertising for their competition when they try to sell so they'll undercut market

Just a few thoughts, good luck!

I have a few silver rounds and bars, but the majority of my collection is 1oz Silver and Gold Eagles.
Todd 02
7:36p, 1/3/24
Thanks for that advice!!!
BonfireNerd04
11:34p, 1/3/24
BTW, palladium and platinum are cheap (compared to gold) right now.
LMCane
8:30a, 1/4/24
In reply to Todd 02
Todd 02 said:

when the collapse comes, why would anyone care about silver?

when it could be that only gold becomes the currency of trading.
LMCane
8:32a, 1/4/24
In reply to jagvocate
thanks

what is the advantage to buying from a private party instead of just going to the Mint in DC and buying from there?

https://www.usmint.gov/about/mint-tours-facilities/washington-dc
LMCane
8:35a, 1/4/24
another question- when the collapse comes...

how is having an entire 1 Ounce Gold Buffalo coin going to help? it's worth nearly $3000 today.

so you will need something much smaller.

it's like trying to pay with an entire Bitcoin- you need much smaller for daily life of food and shelter.

what is the best way to handle being able to have useful and valuable gold you can actually buy things with?
Captain Winky
8:41a, 1/4/24
In reply to LMCane
Are people buying gold and silver in anticipation of a "collapse"? If that is truly your biggest concern it seems like other things would be more valuable since we would go back to a barter system. Booze, ammo, food, and poon tang would be the most tradable things I would think.

I am a small-time stacker compared to most, but I collect because I like how they are shiny and have cool designs. I just purchased my first gold coin yesterday and did so because I like the look of the buffalo coins. I am also working on filling out the Queens Beast collection in silver and also bought a 10oz red dragon because it looks awesome.

I see this as something fun to do that I would pass down or something I could sell in a pinch if I was really hurting for money. Not because I think the end times are coming.
LMCane
8:45a, 1/4/24
In reply to Captain Winky
Captain Winky said:

Are people buying gold and silver in anticipation of a "collapse"? If that is truly your biggest concern it seems like other things would be more valuable since we would go back to a barter system. Booze, ammo, food, and poon tang would be the most tradable things I would think.

I am a small-time stacker compared to most, but I collect because I like how they are shiny and have cool designs. I just purchased my first gold coin yesterday and did so because I like the look of the buffalo coins. I am also working on filling out the Queens Beast collection in silver and also bought a 10oz red dragon because it looks awesome.

I see this as something fun to do that I would pass down or something I could sell in a pinch if I was really hurting for money. Not because I think the end times are coming.

I do think of physical gold more of having some preparation for the "end times" -

because if it was just for an investment, why not just buy GLD from my trading brokerage account?
Captain Winky
8:47a, 1/4/24
In reply to LMCane
LMCane said:

because if it was just for an investment, why not just buy GLD from my trading brokerage account?
Because I can't take it out of my safe to look at or show someone.
Jabin
9:01a, 1/4/24
There are as many different reasons to buy precious metals as there are people. All may be valid reasons.

And buying gold and silver to trade in end times does not mean that one cannot also buy commodities to trade. The primary reason for gold and silver is that they have been used as currency since the beginning of human history, as best we can tell. Someone who may not want booze will gladly accept gold or silver.
TTUArmy
10:21a, 1/4/24
In reply to LMCane
LMCane said:

another question- when the collapse comes...

how is having an entire 1 Ounce Gold Buffalo coin going to help? it's worth nearly $3000 today.

so you will need something much smaller.

it's like trying to pay with an entire Bitcoin- you need much smaller for daily life of food and shelter.

what is the best way to handle being able to have useful and valuable gold you can actually buy things with?
I saw you post on the F16 "Debt" thread and came over here to look at this thread.

By the way, these are very reasonable questions when looking into gold and silver.

There are smaller denominations of coins and bars, which would make trading much easier. Be very aware that the premiums, difference between spot price and seller markup, for smaller denominations can be fairly stiff. Still, it is good to have some. Look into gold by the gram and 1/10th oz silver bars/coins to cover small transactions.

Last year I bought, (10) of the 1/10th oz gold Monarch PM "Cranes" and several hundred silver coins in less than 1 oz denominations, just for such trade.

EDIT: Bitcoin purchases can be carried out in fractions.
joekm3
11:49a, 1/4/24
I just started stacking in 2023. My motivation is a combination of diversification, preparation, and recreation. I primarily buy 1 ounce gold and silver Eagles. I believe them to be the most recognizable for trade/currency if a collapse. I'm also interested in teaching my grandchildren the value of saving/stacking. To that end I'm accumulating Silver Eagles for each of my grandchildren to include one dated for each of their birthdays through 18. That means each will have a total of 18 (dated birth through 18). I will present that to them at high school graduation or stipulated in my will. I have developed a great working relationship with a local silver and gold dealer who gives me great prices and advice. I also hit pawn shops and estate sales and have picked up a few decent deals. So far all is 100% non-IRA.

So there you go. That's the why and how for me.
TXAggie4Christ
11:58a, 1/4/24
In reply to joekm3
joekm3 said:

I just started stacking in 2023. My motivation is a combination of diversification, preparation, and recreation. I primarily buy 1 ounce gold and silver Eagles. I believe them to be the most recognizable for trade/currency if a collapse. I'm also interested in teaching my grandchildren the value of saving/stacking. To that end I'm accumulating Silver Eagles for each of my grandchildren to include one dated for each of their birthdays through 18. That means each will have a total of 18 (dated birth through 18). I will present that to them at high school graduation or stipulated in my will. I have developed a great working relationship with a local silver and gold dealer who gives me great prices and advice. I also hit pawn shops and estate sales and have picked up a few decent deals. So far all is 100% non-IRA.

So there you go. That's the why and how for me.

Love this. Just started that for a niece and a few close fam friend kiddos. Got nativity scene silver and birth year for Christmas. Will start the each alive year too thanks to your post.
topher06
4:21p, 1/5/24
In reply to LMCane
Don't think you can buy from the Mint, you have to be an authorized dealer or something
topher06
3:17p, 1/9/24
Costco has 20 silver eagles for $600. Not sure what they are going for there, seems like a terrible deal compared to Walmart.
jetch17
3:25p, 1/9/24
In reply to topher06
topher06 said:

Costco has 20 silver eagles for $600. Not sure what they are going for there, seems like a terrible deal compared to Walmart.
walmart has 10 for $280 at todays spot
jagvocate
3:27p, 1/9/24
Just bought a tube of 20 SE's from Wal Mart, $550
TTUArmy
4:22p, 1/9/24
In reply to jagvocate
jagvocate said:

I bought 100 ASEs from Bullion Exchange (Ebay) on 8/21/2023 for $2,772; which I thought was a pretty good price. Right now they have 100 ASEs for sale at $2,736.67. I'd buy them, but I want to add another 3 oz of gold first.

Well done!
idAg09
7:00p, 1/9/24
In reply to jagvocate
jagvocate said:

Same here! Also had a $15 Walmart.com chase offer that hopefully works too
Apache
7:08a, 1/10/24
Has there ever been an instance in the last 100 years where a country collapsed or devalued and gold/silver became widely used for legal tender or trade? Thinking of the Argentine collapse, post WW1/2 or maybe the collapse of Yugoslavia.
TTUArmy
8:04a, 1/10/24
In reply to Apache
Apache said:

Has there ever been an instance in the last 100 years where a country collapsed or devalued and gold/silver became widely used for legal tender or trade? Thinking of the Argentine collapse, post WW1/2 or maybe the collapse of Yugoslavia.
History is littered with busted fiats.
Apache
8:38a, 1/10/24
In reply to TTUArmy
Quote:

Right. And I listed some examples. Was gold/silver used widely to trade in such instances is my question.
maddiedou
8:47a, 1/10/24
Just my opinion

Gold/ silver is something to hoard and if you have the ability to sell when it gets in the 50s

It will never be a barter item because there is little value if the world collapse
Jabin
8:52a, 1/10/24
In reply to TTUArmy
TTUArmy said:

Apache said:

And history is littered with busted currencies based on metals.

In fact, so far history is batting 1000 on busting all countries, no matter their currency.

The problem with countries isn't their currency, it's uncontrolled deficit spending.
lobopride
9:28a, 1/10/24
IMO looking at history of other collapses won't be much use. I fully expect a hard reset for almost all fiat currencies in order to bring in a new world order. In that scenario both gold and silver will be useful for trading for the new fiat currency whatever that currency happens to be.
I am a slave of Christ
topher06
9:36a, 1/10/24
In reply to idAg09
idAg09 said:

jagvocate said:

Same here! Also had a $15 Walmart.com chase offer that hopefully works too
Nice call on the Walmart offer, I have it as well on my Sapphire Reserve. Will you let us know if it posts the refund? I might try it regardless.
jagvocate
9:38a, 1/10/24
In reply to Apache
Apache said:

I'll fill these in as work allows.

Recent / Current:
Venezuela
1. https://financialpost.com/news/economy/in-venezuela-people-break-off-flakes-of-gold-to-pay-for-meals-and-haircuts
Zimbabwe
2. https://mg.co.za/article/2007-07-06-zims-return-to-a-barter-economy/ (this is more about barter writ-large when currencies fail (like Zimbabwe's) ... people turn to anything that holds value for trading)
South Africa
3. https://www.investopedia.com/terms/k/krugerrand-gold-coin.asp (The Krugerrand is legal tender valued at the price of gold or silver, not at "face value" like some sovereign coins)

Andrew Dufresne
10:22a, 1/10/24
In reply to maddiedou
maddiedou said:

Just my opinion

Gold/ silver is something to hoard and if you have the ability to sell when it gets in the 50s

It will never be a barter item because there is little value if the world collapse

Weren't you the guy telling us that smart people are the ones that wait to buy Silver at $5 or $10 per troy ounce? We are still waiting on those dips man. I'm not feeling too smart.
maddiedou
12:13p, 1/10/24
Maybe. Who knows I am not a silver buyer I am a coin collector that does have silver and if a decent president gets in office it could very well come back to the 15 dollar range

But only a fool would try to predict the market The ones who guess silver will get to 40 and it does will say I told you so

If it drops to 15 the same people will tell you to buy because silver is headed to 40

Buy because You want to and buy whatever gold Silver platinum Hell I think i got 200 oinces of titanium. It will probably never go anywhere

Edit ounces of titanium
Aggiemike96
10:46a, 1/15/24
Bullion Exchanges has Argor Heraeus silver kilo bars for spot. Currently $23.40 X 32.15-oz = $752.31. Shipping is free, and there is no sales tax in Texas.

Bullion Exchanges - Argor Heraeus Kilo Bar
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 44 of 53
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off