A&M WBB named No. 3 seed in NCAAs, hosts Wichita St. in round one
6,639 Views | 32 Replies
Gabe Bock
Sponsor
7:30p, 3/18/13
The Aggie women's basketball team has been named a No. 3 seed in the Norfolk Region of the 2013 NCAA Tournament and will host Wichita State, Nebraska and UT-Chattanooga on opening weekend, starting on Saturday at Reed Arena. A&M will play No. 14-seeded Wichita State in the opening round Saturday at 3:05 p.m.

If the Norfolk Region goes to seed, the Aggies will face No. 2-seeded Duke in the Sweet 16 and then would likely play top-seeded Notre Dame for a chance to advance to New Orleans for the Final Four.

Ronnie Woodard is on-hand for post-selection reaction from A&M head coach Gary Blair and players so look for that here shortly.

Special thanks to Mac Resource Computers for their sponsorship of all women's basketball content produced throughout the season at TexAgs.com! For the third consecutive year, all WBB content will be available to you for free!

[This message has been edited by gabe_bock (edited 3/18/2013 10:42p).]
busdriver88
7:34p, 3/18/13
3rd Generation Ag
7:36p, 3/18/13
Thought they would put us with Baylor for the ratings and crowd.
johnson06
7:37p, 3/18/13
Great draw for the Aggies......We draw the weakest two seed (ACC was down) and avoid Baylor until the NC Game! Whoop
atm0812
7:37p, 3/18/13
rafkennel
7:40p, 3/18/13
Good luck ladies!
Tall Texan
7:48p, 3/18/13
Duke is the highest ranked # 2 seed.It will be a challenge for us to defeat them in Norfolk,Va.I like our chances to make the Sweet 16.
johnson06
7:59p, 3/18/13
Rankings dont mean anything....Duke has not beaten anyone all year. With the schedule that we have played we match up well with Duke.
cs69ag
8:21p, 3/18/13
yep...UCONN beat the Ags and Duke by 30...but Duke was still in the game at the half...our Ags were not. Duke will be favored, and not a good match up for the Ags. Should be close.
johnson06
8:30p, 3/18/13
You do remember that four freshman played substantial minutes in the third game of their college careers against arguably the greatest program in WBB history (not to even mention two new assistant coaches). GB used the extremely difficult non-conference schedule to mold this team and especially those freshman. UCONN was the only game we were not competitive and the frosh just were not ready. Bone and Gilbert take away the inside strength of Duke and the CW's will own the wings. If you look a little deeper then records and rankings the Ags actually match up well with Duke.

[This message has been edited by johnson06 (edited 3/18/2013 7:31p).]
reineraggie09
8:31p, 3/18/13
Way way way ahead of myself here, but.....How epic would an A&M/Baylor National Championship Game be. I don't usually bring the hate to women's athletics, but HATE would be in full force for that match-up. I mean serious HATE. About the only thing that could top that would be Ags vs. tu for a MNC in football, but I don't see that happening any time soon.
Tall Texan
8:36p, 3/18/13
Johnson 06 I hope you are right!
mullokmotx
9:45p, 3/18/13
This is the 6th straight year we have been at least a 3 seed, and in 2007 we were a 4 seed.
jeffreyj05
10:37p, 3/18/13
Nice! Congrats ladies...
BillOnCapitolHill
11:42p, 3/18/13
We gotta go through ND, BU to get to the NC game. I will be burning everything I see that is green and gold!
BillOnCapitolHill
11:44p, 3/18/13
j/k put me down for $20 for UT over BU in OKC.
BillOnCapitolHill
11:55p, 3/18/13
quote:
Duke has not beaten anyone all year.

#6 Cal
#10 Maryland

oh and they beat #18 UNC three times. UNC is 28-6. Half of their losses are from Duke. Duke is a dangerous S16 opponent.

If it wasnt for out SECT run, people would be saying "TAMU hadnt beat anyone all year"
aggiedrjdub
10:02a, 3/19/13
Wondering out loud why they couldn't have scheduled game two of the College Station regional on Sunday when many of us with young children could have traveled to support the team?

BTHO NCAA tournament!!
aggiedrjdub
10:13a, 3/19/13
Again, thinking out loud, but as I look at the draw, am I wrong to think the South Carolina -vs- Notre Dame match-up looks intriguing? I think SC could pull an upset.

[This message has been edited by aggiedrjdub (edited 3/19/2013 9:13a).]
AggieTickets
Sponsor
11:02a, 3/19/13
quote:
Wondering out loud why they couldn't have scheduled game two of the College Station regional on Sunday when many of us with young children could have traveled to support the team?

The women's rounds are split between Saturday/Monday and Sunday/Tuesday play through the Regional. The Final Four is played Sunday/Tuesday. Since the 2 tournaments run simultaneously, this is just how it works out.
aggiedrjdub
11:03a, 3/19/13
Thanks! And dang! Hopefully the games will be televised.
cs69ag
11:19a, 3/19/13
I don't think SC can shoot well enough, especially free throws, to upset ND. I think ND leads the NCAA in made free throws per game, and will likely make more than SC shoots. But, it could be an interesting match up. As Bio said, maybe SC can wear ND down some, and if our Ags get by the Dookies, maybe that will help us in a rematch with ND.
DrQuincy
1:36p, 3/19/13
Looking at the brackets, we will not meet Baylro until the Championship game, so we can spoil their two-fer! Kept from a championship by the Ags two years out of the last three...

mullokmotx
2:19p, 3/19/13
In the last NCAA RPI on the 18th, we were #10, Nebraska was #16, Chattanooga was #37 and Wichita State was #54. Nebraska as a 6 seed is way lower than their RPI which would indicate a 4 seed.
aggiedrjdub
6:22p, 3/19/13
Everyone see the picture of the Nebraska women's basketball team when their seed and who they would be playing was announced? Classic!!! If I knew how to add a picture in here, I would share it!
agent-maroon
6:51p, 3/19/13

Is this the pic you're talking about DrJDub?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
aggiedrjdub
6:53p, 3/19/13
There is another one that is just as hilarious. Look on the topic i started about intriguing match-ups. I created a hyperlink to it. How did you post JUST the picture???
agent-maroon
7:01p, 3/19/13

Edit to add image

http://texags.com/main/forumcode.asp

forum code guide ^^^^

[ img ]insert image url address here[ /img ]

example (no spaces)^^^^

[This message has been edited by agent-maroon (edited 3/19/2013 6:04p).]
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
mullokmotx
9:37a, 3/20/13
Nebraska was, to say the least, surprised that they were a 6 seed. They now feel disrespected and may be coming here to prove the committee wrong.
aggiedrjdub
9:54a, 3/20/13
I understand they may feel that way, but they were ranked 24/25 in the polls, so a 6 seed somewhat fits. I realize their RPI was 16 but it seems like the committee had a difficult time this year with seeding accurately in combination with managing location. They will be a tough opponent, nonetheless. Looking forward to facing them once again. Gig'em!
cs69ag
12:33p, 3/20/13
I would not be surprised if Chattanooga shucks the Huskers. Ags will be favored by about 8 points
if/when we play Nebraska.

FWIW....they lost by 15 at home to Penn State and by 12 at Penn State...Ags lost very early to PSU by 5 at Reed.
Texker
11:41p, 3/25/13
Huskers 74
Ags 63

AggieZee
12:30a, 3/26/13
Mullokmotx was on the spot
KBK60
10:24a, 3/26/13
Poor Husker girls look scared to death.
CLOSE
Cancel