Portal news
19,211 Views | 148 Replies
Aldo the Apache
4:50p, 4/25/24
In reply to aggiedrjdub
aggiedrjdub said:

MJ signed will Ball State
Good luck to her. To be honest, I expected a more high-major move.
AggieSports
5:07p, 4/25/24
In reply to Aldo the Apache
Aldo the Apache said:

aggiedrjdub said:

MJ signed will Ball State
Good luck to her. To be honest, I expected a more high-major move.

I'm not surprised at all. She never was a major factor in our program. She averaged 3 pts/3.1 rebs this season.
Aceswimmer09
12:29a, 4/26/24
In reply to Aldo the Apache
Really? She isn't very good…can't hit a layup or shoot the ball, but athletic so….
AggieSports
4:28p, 4/26/24

So now she says it's official. Oh brother!
AggieSports
8:18p, 4/27/24

Wonder if we have a chance at any of these players?
taylorswift13_
8:51p, 4/27/24
In reply to AggieSports
Maybe not with number 4
AggieSports
10:04p, 4/27/24

This was pretty much expected.
fitzwatema
5:34p, 4/28/24
Just saw where Kaitlyn Chen of Princeton is going to UConn. The rich get richer!
AggieSports
1:55p, 4/29/24
I'm seeing lots of commitments being announced from the portal today. Still waiting to hear our name called.
aggiedrjdub
3:57p, 4/29/24
What happens to the girls that are transferring from our team if they aren't picked up by a team?
AggieSports
4:12p, 4/29/24
In reply to aggiedrjdub
aggiedrjdub said:

What happens to the girls that are transferring from our team if they aren't picked up by a team?

If no one picks them up, they are most likely done.

"Hundreds aren't picked up. They are simply passed over and are done with their careers. Stats show less than half the number of players who enter actually every play the sport again. Almost half don't even enroll at other schools, in fact."
aggiedrjdub
4:15p, 4/29/24
In reply to AggieSports
AggieSports said:

aggiedrjdub said:

"Hundreds aren't picked up. They are simply passed over and are done with their careers. Stats show less than half the number of players who enter actually every play the sport again. Almost half don't even enroll at other schools, in fact."
So do we think Barker hasn't found a home, or do you think she's waiting for NIL stuff? I can't imagine a big school won't pick her up.
AggieSports
4:22p, 4/29/24
In reply to aggiedrjdub
aggiedrjdub said:

AggieSports said:

aggiedrjdub said:

So do we think Barker hasn't found a home, or do you think she's waiting for NIL stuff? I can't imagine a big school won't pick her up.

Oh she'll definitely get picked up by someone. Several of the top transfers announced today. I would think she'll announce pretty soon. Wish she'd never left but here we are.
Kbeauty63
7:05p, 4/29/24
I'm not tech savvy - but Kyndall & Chelsea Newton posted on Instagram we signed SMU transfer Amirah Abdur-Rahim
aggiedrjdub
7:58p, 4/29/24
https://www.instagram.com/p/C6XUNPAA2qO/?igsh=MWFlZmEzMzNmc3BnMg==

Gap
8:18p, 4/29/24
Solid pickup. 6'3" forward. Started her career at Notre Dame and then to SMU. Sister of long-time NBA'er Shareef Abdur-Rahim. She basically missed all of the 2021-22 season with a knee injury. Started 28 games last year at SMU averaging 11.3 points, 6.4 rebounds, and blocked 50 shots on the season.

https://instagr.am/p/C6XUNPAA2qO
taylorswift13_
8:47p, 4/29/24
I wonder if she plays with Ware and we go big or does she back up Wade and provide amazing depth! Either way good to have another big body in the lineup!!
Ag4eva95
11:08p, 4/29/24
In reply to taylorswift13_
To be fair, I think they did kind of need to blow it up. Outside of the 3 transfers starters this year, everyone else was lack luster. The ability to be coached and focus isn't present.
Ag4eva95
11:11p, 4/29/24
In reply to Aceswimmer09
MJ I had so much hope for, you can definitely see her athletic ability. There were so many times she got her self wide open with great post moves only to miss easy lay ups. Had to of missed 25+ bunnies this year
AggieSports
12:50a, 4/30/24
Welcome to Aggieland, Amirah!! Glad to have you!!
aggiedrjdub
9:28a, 4/30/24
Does anyone know if we have room for anyone else?
WBBALLFAN84
9:46a, 4/30/24
In reply to aggiedrjdub
aggiedrjdub said:

Does anyone know if we have room for anyone else?
By my count we have room for 4 more players.
Ag4eva95
9:53a, 4/30/24
In reply to WBBALLFAN84
We need impact guards in the worst way. With bringing Jada molone back, the 5 is looking strong.

We don't have a lead guard on the roster. Next year is looking a little scary AS OF NOW
AggieSports
2:11p, 4/30/24
This was shared by a friend who attended the Brazos County Coaches Night….

"Joni said that we lost a player in the transfer portal because we didn't have $400,000 to spend, and we can't compete with that."

I hate that college athletics has come to this. I wonder if any rich Ag would like to donate to WBB NIL. It's going to be hard to compete with lsu, South Carolina, and others who can offer so much $$
aggiedrjdub
2:19p, 4/30/24
In reply to AggieSports
AggieSports said:

"Joni said that we lost a player in the transfer portal because we didn't have $400,000 to spend, and we can't compete with that."

I hate that college athletics has come to this. I wonder if any rich Ag would like to donate to WBB NIL. It's going to be hard to compete with lsu, South Carolina, and others who can offer so much $$

That has to be Janiah and that tells me she's already found a new home. I get that money is a big factor but I really thought Janiah was different. She really seemed connected to coach Joni but it seems most are more connected to money. Hard to blame them but it just goes to show that a few aren't at A&M for the right reasons (IMO)
Ag4eva95
2:23p, 4/30/24
In reply to aggiedrjdub
But everyone has a price though. Considering she may never touch that in a year as a pro player, money talks. Even the best of them have a price. $400k is life changing money for many people on this earth.
aggiedrjdub
2:27p, 4/30/24
In reply to Ag4eva95
I don't disagree. She's got to do what she's got to do. There seemed to be a disconnect with her and the program this year to be honest.
AggieSports
3:50p, 4/30/24
In reply to aggiedrjdub
aggiedrjdub said:

I don't disagree. She's got to do what she's got to do. There seemed to be a disconnect with her and the program this year to be honest.

I agree about the disconnect. Something seemed to be off with her. Maybe just unhappy here? She has the physical ability to be such a dominate player but we rarely saw that. Expected so much more from her. Maybe the next coach can get it out of her.
AggieSports
3:58p, 4/30/24
https://www.on3.com/nil/news/hailey-van-lith-inks-nil-deal-with-lacroix-tcu-horned-frogs-womens-basketball-transfer/
So many of the top players are signing deals with brands. I had no idea HVL had worked with so many brands. That would be another way for athletes to earn NIL money but you have to be an elite athlete to get those deals. I'm sure most kids see the path to getting there is easier when you play with other elites at a big name program. Unless you're Caitlin Clark and then you just put your program on your shoulders and rise up into the rarified air. Lol How special is she?
WBBALLFAN84
4:25p, 4/30/24
In reply to aggiedrjdub
aggiedrjdub said:

I agree there seemed to be a disconnect not with just her. When you lose 4 guards, there seemed to be some sort of disconnect there also. I agree, Joni may need to go out and get a pg for a year while, Erica, Kyndall, or Sole get acclimated to running the point. Wow 400k!!. Is that the going rate these days for a good women's player with great upside?
Bucketrunner
4:32p, 4/30/24
And that situation is probably what will totally drive our group away from the sport.
Ag4eva95
4:36p, 4/30/24
In reply to WBBALLFAN84
Sole jsnt a pg, I don't know if she has the mindset to move an offense around. She's a 2/3
fitzwatema
6:20p, 4/30/24
In reply to AggieSports
AggieSports said:

It is really disappointing that the Aggie women's team can't compete with NIL. I certainly don't have answers because I certainly don't have the money to contribute.
Bucketrunner
8:08p, 4/30/24
In reply to fitzwatema
And if I did, I wouldn't be giving it to an athlete in a non revenue generating sport who is already getting a great free education
Rudybryan
10:42p, 4/30/24
In reply to AggieSports
AggieSports said:

https://www.on3.com/nil/news/hailey-van-lith-inks-nil-deal-with-lacroix-tcu-horned-frogs-womens-basketball-transfer/
So many of the top players are signing deals with brands. I had no idea HVL had worked with so many brands. That would be another way for athletes to earn NIL money but you have to be an elite athlete to get those deals. I'm sure most kids see the path to getting there is easier when you play with other elites at a big name program. Unless you're Caitlin Clark and then you just put your program on your shoulders and rise up into the rarified air. Lol How special is she?

Last figure I heard was HVL hauled over $500,000 at LSU Her social media numbers were third behind Reese and Johnson

Just Womens Sports Article Sept last year------ With 9.9 million people watching LSU basketball win the national title in April, both players' profiles skyrocketed. Reese's NIL valuation has reached an estimated $1.7 million, per On3. Johnson's is at $1.1 million, per On3, and the star player told Sports Illustrated her agreements are around "the mid-seven figures."
And both players tout their NIL success to high school recruits. They didn't need to underscore the point for star transfer Hailey Van Lith, who brings a valuation of $546,000 with her to the Tigers.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 3 of 5
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings