Real Estate
Sponsored by

Should we sell?

1,721 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 12 days ago by NoahAg
AndAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm in a good, but annoying situation. We bought some land in late 2019 in Spring. Proceed to build a house, luckily signed the contract before covid pricing hit so we got a comparably good deal.

With the covid pricing boost the house was taxed significantly higher than we were expecting. Boosted again this year by over 25%. It is limited to the 10% but will obviously hit hard again next year.

We both work from home almost always so don't really need to be close but I don't think my wife would want to move too much further out.

We could sell and rent something until the market cools down. I feel like we're due for a little retraction at some point. The additional value we could pull out could be invested until that point.

Am I crazy for considering this? Haven't rented since I got my first place and would feel weird but I'm thinking there may be some longer term benefits.
TXTransplant
Have you been protesting your property taxes? I'm also in Spring (Harris Co side), and HCAD has been over-valuing houses in my neighborhood for the last couple of years. I've protested the last several years and been successful every time. I'm opting to pay a service to do it for me this year, but it's definitely something you can do yourself, with the right information and a healthy dose of patience.
Diggity
AG
People (myself included) have been waiting for the market to cool down for the past 5 years. No guarantee it will.

As long as folks keep moving to Texas, they'll need homes.

Factor in the cost to sell, cost to buy, cost to move (and hastle of all 3) and I doubt it would be a winning proposition
AndAg
AG
I'm in MCAD but won my appeal last year. Even if I win this year there's no way it would drop below the 10% max so I know that will be hitting.

Will definitely be appealing though.
AndAg
AG
That's what I'm worried about. Despite the significant amount of equity we've added (and could re-invest), we'd still need to find somewhere else in the somewhat future. And no guarantee somewhere will be more affordable to make it worth it.
Jay@AgsReward.com
Sponsor
AG
Trying the time the market, any market, is a tough business to be in.
AgsMyDude
AG
AndAg said:

We could sell and rent something until the market cools down. I feel like we're due for a little retraction at some point. The additional value we could pull out could be invested until that point.

We could be but what if we're not? What if the market doesn't "cool down" for a decade.

Hopefully you reinvest your equity into something that at least match what your current home would do, in this scenario.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Do not do this. Texas is growing and will continue to grow.

Also, what interest rate is the mortgage?
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Don't do it. It would take a correction of greater than 40% for you to get back to what you paid in 2019. In the great financial crisis, which was the worst recession since 1930, values in Houston fell about 8%. And when you drill down on the micro level data, "core" Neighborhoods were actually up about 10%, average neighborhoods were basically flat, and tertiary markets as well as speculative land fell about 40%. But everything had recovered from peak to trough to recovery in a total of about four years. So as others have said, Trying to time the market can be a tough game to play.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
Kenneth_2003
AG
One thing to keep in mind regarding appraisals. They're hitting EVERYONE.

The counties and the school's bond obligations aren't changing much. Klein had a few bonds pass, and a few fail. Don't know what the other schools did but can't think of anything BIG off the top of my head. As appraisals go up bond tax rates go down because the bond payments don't change.

As for M&O budgets without going on the ballot, the taxing entities cannot increase their budgets by more than 3% annually.

So appraisals go up, rates will dip. Now I don't trust Harris County "leadership" to not look for ever increasingly dumb ways to spend/waste money, but that'll take a few years. Don't know how we'll ever take CC back though with the gerrymandering that was done prior to the last election.

You could sell... But where will you go? Increasing appraisals will hit rentals/landlords even harder as us homeowners got an extra $60,000 in homestead. So taxes on rentals will rise and get passed on in rents. Unless you're looking to significantly downsize (and you're not getting that pre-covid interest rate either), I don't see a scenario where you come out ahead.
jopatura
AG
My best friend did this at the height of COVID to pay off debt. It worked out for them as far as paying everything off and having some money to invest. Currently they are in a smaller rental, but it's about the same as their previous mortgage payment. The market has dropped some in our area, but they can't get back into a house purchase because the interest rate is too high. They have a decent rental who hasn't raised the rates yet, but they are definitely locked out of buying a new house until prices drop even more (not likely) or interest rates come down (not likely).
NoahAg
Quote:

Am I crazy for considering this?
Yes.

The overall market (Texas) may cool - as in, the rate of appreciation slowing - but I don't anticipate prices dropping, save for some type of economic crash. Then we'll have other, bigger problems to worry about.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.