I Really Cant Stand Watching Golf When Jim Furyk is Leading

1,325 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 14 yr ago by Corporal Punishment
Corporal Punishment
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
...don't get me wrong, I recognize that he's an excellent golfer with a solid swing, but my goodness, I can't stand to watch it.

I never root for that guy.

All I can say is "Go, Goose!" Now that's a swing that is an absolute joy to watch!

Edit: ...and good luck to Jeff Maggert today, btw.

[This message has been edited by mtepera (edited 3/21/2010 1:09p).]
Our-turn-to-rule
AG
like watching ice melt

talkin heads were praising him yesterday because of his routine

slow as sheet

GO BOO!!
Corporal Punishment
AG
quote:
slow as sheet

+1

Forgot to mention that. Painful to watch from the tee, fairway, and the green.

Nice call.
Kjodie
His routine has definitely slowed down in the last few years.

Got to play in his foursome in the Byron Nelson Pro-Am a few years ago. He is actually a great guy who is genuinely interested in what you do and gives pointers on how to improve. Played in the pro-am 4 times and Jim is by far my favorite and would play with him again in a minute. The other 3, not so much.

one of the crazy things about Jim is how big he actually is verses how skinny he looks on TV. Im 6'1" 185 (which is also Tigers stats, for further comparison) and he was easily 2" over me and about 25 lbs heavier.

[This message has been edited by Kjodie (edited 3/22/2010 10:46a).]
HouAggie
AG
Kjodie, who were the other three, out of curiosity?
Kjodie
JL Lewis - introvert, doesn't say much.
Mark Brooks - *******.
DJ Trahan - Nice enough kid. not much to say.
Kramer
AG
Pro-Ams are always tough for the pros. They're out there really having to fulfill two roles: pro golfer and host. The first they do very well most of the time. The later, it just depends. Some of the guys that play the Pro-Ams are really grinding and so they just focus on trying to learn everything they can about every putt, chip, and bounce. Guys like Jim F. and the more established pros can afford to be more cordial and not grind so hard.

If you play a Pro-Am and the pro is real ace hole, mention that to the people that put on the Pro-Am. They will, in turn, mention it to the PGA and the PGA can have a discussion with the player if they feel it's warranted. Especially these days, sponsors and the people that pay the big money to play those events don't grow on trees, so if a pro is being an ass, the PGA wants to know about for fear that guy pisses off a big sponsor and they don't come back the next year.

[This message has been edited by Kramer (edited 3/22/2010 12:00p).]
DadAG10
I caddied twice in the Nelson Pro Am for 2 friends. First time, we had KJ Choi. This was my friends second time being paired with KJ, and he said his English had improved dramatically, but he didn't say 20 words the whole round. On every green, he would drop 3 or 4 balls in the center of the green and put towards the 4 corners where he thought pin placements might be for that weekend.

Next time we got Jerry Kelly. Great guy and really enjoyed it. He read putts, joked around and made it enjoyable even for the caddies. The Cleveland rep showed up with 2 new drivers for him on one hole, he proceeded to hit 4 balls (2 each club) and the four balls were all in the fairway all within about 8 feet of each other.
BarryProfit
KJ not come to America to make nice face with round eye.
Matsui
AG
^
|
|
|

funny
Corporal Punishment
AG
Furyk shot an 80 in the 1st round. Thumbs up for not having to watch him on top of the leaderboard.
t - cam
AG
David Schultz (Former Ag Golfer) was a buddy of mine in High School and into college. He caddied for Nick Price while in high school at the Byron. Not sure if the enjoyed Nick or not but I know he got to go into the Cleveland or Mizuno Club Truck and build a driver for free after the round. Seems like a pretty good gig.

[This message has been edited by t - cam (edited 4/9/2010 4:56p).]
Danny Duberstein
Nick Price was actually one of the best ones to be paired with. I played with him in the Nelson Pro-Am in 2003. Great guy.

[This message has been edited by Danny Duberstein (edited 4/9/2010 6:29p).]
Prexys Moon
AG
It's fun to go on pro-am day. Lots fewer fans and some of the pros are really nice. I walked with Tom Watson's group on pro am day at the Nelson back in 97 and it was amazing. He chatted, took pics and signed for fans between holes even. One of the holes had a huge green that was probably 90 feet back to front. The hole was at the very bottom and the worst amateur was on the back fringe. 90 footer with about 5 breaks. Watson looks over it, walks to a spot about a third of the way down the hill, puts his putter down and says "hit it here, and barely hit it". The guy gets up there, I mean he is overweight, knee braces, old blade putter, the works. He says "OK" and dinks it down to where Watson told him to hit it. The putt gathers speed, breaks left , then right, then back, and dies right in the middle of the hole. Gallery, players, Watson go nuts. Great memory for that guy I am sure.

Ditto on Price- while waiting for Watson's group, watched Price and the Faldo go off with their groups. Price acts like everybody is his best friend. Faldo..he shook hands with his guys and then never said another word to them.

Talking about pro-ams, I think the older guys that came up in the 70's really "get it" about pro ams. They came up in a time where they made good money but got the importance of sponsor relations, fans, etc. There was more camraderie on tour and overall. Today's guys make so much money right away, and they have all been coached to have their blinders on and not talk to anybody.

I went to a senior tour event in Florida a couple years ago...those guys make it fun and constantly talk to the fans. Fuzzy, Jacobsen, Price, etc.

[This message has been edited by Prexy's Moon (edited 4/12/2010 10:24a).]
Kramer
AG
Furyk looking to win again.
Danny Duberstein
Another win for Furyk. Interesting playoff too with Brian Davis calling the 2 shot penalty on himself.

Agree 100% that Furyk's putting routine is a complete lifeforce drainer though.
Corporal Punishment
AG
Did not watch a single stroke...

Being in the last group, I'll bet there were empty holes in front of his group on the back nine.

Painful.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.