Sand Valley - Wisconsin
3,541 Views | 27 Replies
Quinn
9:44a, 4/19/22
Has anyone here done a golf trip to Sand Valley? https://sandvalley.com/

My dad and I are looking to book a summer trip and think we are going to pull the trigger on this one. We will use a caddie and we are looking to play 36 holes two days in a row. How is the walk? We did 36 at Erin Hills last year, which was a beast (they said that they get fewer than 50 replay rounds a summer). I'm hoping that this will be a slightly easier walk so that we can play both courses twice.
aggieiniowa
10:02a, 4/19/22
Have a reservation set in Sept to play 18 and then the par 3 and then the next day play the other 18. My challenge is that they are booked and I can not get a room for more than one night. If it is anything like Bandon it will be phenomenal. Good luck booking and getting it set up.
Quinn
10:15a, 4/19/22
In reply to aggieiniowa
Hopefully we didn't wait too long to book, but we'll see. Trying to nail it down this week.
BigLeftMiss08
5:27p, 4/19/22
My traveling group will be at Sand Valley in about a month. Cant wait and will return with some details on our trip and what we thought about it.
Westicles
7:09p, 4/19/22
We did Sand Valley courses, EH and all the Kohler courses summer of 2018. Erin was by far the hardest walk of the 7 courses we played so if you did 36 there you'll be fine.

Mammoth and Sand Valley aren't horrible walks but there is some elevation change. Also the ground is hard (just like the Bandon courses) so that has an affect too (gave me and other shin splints both there and Bandon).

The other thing to consider is the heat/humidity. Pretty silly considering we're from Texas but it was ~85 with 80-90% humidity when we played in July and it takes its toll walking basically a half marathon playing 36. I had a good case of chaffed ass after.
Westicles
7:45p, 4/19/22
Man you have me day dreaming about a Sand Valley trip. Mammoth Dunes is so much damn fun to play. It's probably not the second best of the 7 courses we played but it was definitely my second favorite behind Erin Hills. Didn't care for the Kohler courses too much.

Jealous of you all going this year.
Quinn
9:45a, 4/20/22
Good to know, thanks guys. I had my tracker on for Erin Hills and we walked 13 miles (from the range to the end of our second 18), so you're right about it being a half marathon.

We were able to book 36 on back to back days in mid July, though we might end up doing 36-18. We're going to play the Sandbox the afternoon we arrive, too. Can't wait!
cb1919
10:15a, 4/20/22
Hopefully you mean a summer '23 trip
grego
7:10a, 4/22/22
Did it a couple of years ago. Very good trip. Nicest lodging I've stayed in. That said I liked the courses better at Koehler and if you go there expecting Bandon you will be disappointed. But certainly worth the trip. Skip the par 3 unless you like hitting 40 yard shots.

I think it's closed right now (hosting a senior pga I think?) but sentry world about 45 minutes north is a gem. Google the flower hole. Amazing
The Milkman
12:58p, 2/10/23
FYI, reservations for 2024 opened up on Wednesday. I just booked for 8 of us first weekend of May 2024. They did not have 3 nights available for a group of 8 anytime between May 10th and mid September.

If you are interested in 2024, try to book it asap.

Will be my first time out there. I'm very excited. The Lido is opening this year, and Sedge Valley will be open next year to give them 4 18's plus the par 3.
E
1:30p, 2/10/23
A buddy and I are signed up to do their summer solstice event this year! Looking forward to torturing my body again this year. Last year at Chambers Bay was brutal but an awasome experience.
AgOutsideAustin
2:44p, 2/10/23
In reply to The Milkman
The Milkman said:

FYI, reservations for 2024 opened up on Wednesday. I just booked for 8 of us first weekend of May 2024. They did not have 3 nights available for a group of 8 anytime between May 10th and mid September.

If you are interested in 2024, try to book it asap.

Will be my first time out there. I'm very excited. The Lido is opening this year, and Sedge Valley will be open next year to give them 4 18's plus the par 3.

Flying to Bandon today and trying to book Sand Valley for end of May '24. Had to get off the phone after several long hold times but they are emailing me. Need this booked today. They are going to sell out the year in a matter of days. Incredible.
The Milkman
2:59p, 2/10/23
In reply to AgOutsideAustin
I had hoped to get the 8 person cottage but she said those were almost entirely gone to groups, which sold before it opened up this week.

Best of luck!
The Milkman
1:56p, 2/13/23
Did you get it booked?
AgOutsideAustin
7:03p, 2/13/23
In reply to The Milkman
I did for the end of May. Lido was already booked and in my getaway day there was some tournament there so that sucks. Plus she said when Sedge reservations open up that will affect all the tee times and everything will change anyway. Will see but if I can't get Sedge, Sand, and Mammoth times I like I will probably cancel and try again another year when it works out better.
The Milkman
7:59p, 2/13/23
I booked an extra time for Mammoth in anticipation of swapping it for a Sedge Valley time when those become available.

I'm nervous early May is going to be cold or not great conditions. But I'm sure they know what they are doing in terms of when they open up.
StEdsCOOG
12:37a, 2/14/23
I've got an Erin Hills/Sand Valley trip planned for the end of May this year. Catching a couple Astros/Brewers games before starting the golf portion of my trip. Staying the night at Erin Hills with a round the day I arrive and the day I leave before heading to Sand Valley for a three night stay and 5 rounds there (3-Mammoth/2-SV).
AgOutsideAustin
8:17a, 2/14/23
In reply to StEdsCOOG
Wow that's an incredible trip!
Aside from the baseball……… kidding
The Milkman
11:45a, 2/14/23
We'll likely try to add on Erin Hills or Lawsonia to the day before or after our trip
StEdsCOOG
12:23p, 2/14/23
My original plan was to play one round at The Straits and then either The Bull at Pinehurst Farms or Lawsonia the next day on my way to Sand Valley but decided to go with Erin Hills instead. I plan on catching the Astros at Wrigley in '24 so I think I'll drive on up and stay at Whistling Straits for a few days.
The Milkman
9:42p, 7/1/23
Lido opened up for public play this week. Early shots and reviews are incredible.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CuKv7KcuSvH/?igshid=Y2I2MzMwZWM3ZA==
AgOutsideAustin
6:45a, 7/2/23
In reply to The Milkman
Looking forward to it, Canada better not have these fires when we are up there next May. I think I arrive the day after your group leaves.
The Milkman
7:43a, 4/30/24
AgOutside: Y'all ready?
AgOutsideAustin
10:21a, 4/30/24
In reply to The Milkman
I'm ready, clubs are in Fort Worth on their way up.
Save some Spotted Cow for me please.
The Milkman
11:30a, 5/7/24
I know no one here needs to be told this, but get out to Sand Valley as soon as possible. What a fantastic set of courses and wonderful experience. Unfortunately we missed out on Sedge since it doesn't open until July 1, but The Lido, Mammoth, SV, and the Sandbox were all outstanding.

We flew to Chicago Friday AM and drove to Sand Valley for times at the Sandbox Friday afternoon. They let us go out as an 8 some (which is common) and was the relaxed barefoot start we needed.

36 Saturday with Sand Valley and Mammoth Dunes. While Sand Valley is a a tough more difficult, I think it might be the course I'd like to play the most often. Not sure, but both are a blast.

36 Sunday with Mammoth again and then Lido to end. Lido is absolutely one of the most unique courses I've ever seen and I think will remain that way. It definitely feels like it was dropped straight in from Long Island and certainly unlike any modern course. Versus somewhere like Mammoth which can be playable for nearly any skill level, but can give good players some challenge too if they want to really go low. Lido on the other hand is a very long day if you aren't a good player, but can reward someone who thinks their way through a course and can execute pretty specific shots. I was thrilled with my 86 out there (After an 81, 81, and 77 on the others).

Overall perfect weekend. One of the guys in our group even had an ace on Mammoth Dunes and I was thrilled with an eagle on a par 4

A few pics!

Doc4rock
4:30p, 5/7/24
Going to sand valley next month, playing lido, mammoth and sand valley twice. Worried about the lido.
E
6:32p, 5/7/24
In reply to Doc4rock
What are you worried about with the Lido? You're about to play one of the coolest courses out there!
Quinn
8:58a, 5/8/24
I was reading this thread and realized that I was the one that started it and never came back with an update. My dad and I were able to get on and play in June of 2022 and had a fantastic trip. I'll echo everyone's compliments about the courses, food, facilities, etc.

I'm not a great golfer, so Sand Valley was more challenging to me, but Mammoth was very gettable. I really loved Mammoth, though I think I had a four putt on one of the ginormous greens! Part of that might have been that my caddie and I did not see eye to eye on how to read putts. He was a nice guy, but we never gelled on the greens.

Really cool experience and I hope to get back and check out the new courses sometime.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings