*** AGGIES on Tour 2024 ***
20,363 Views | 174 Replies
Budruex3
4:24p, 1/23/24
Walker and Sam will both be in the final group tomorrow. Both 2 strokes off the lead. Walker will have to play the Par 5s much better tomorrow to have a chance.
Fish-N-Chips
9:12a, 1/24/24
Kyle Westmoreland was my Jr. High QB (I was the center) at Cinco Ranch JH in Katy. While I hope the best for him, we really need an Aggie 1-2 today!
MAROON
10:11a, 1/24/24
is this not on tv anywhere?
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
GigEmJake17
10:18a, 1/24/24
In reply to MAROON
Nope. Sadly. I think they show the final hole for the final group but that's it.
AgLA06
10:45a, 1/24/24
And we're off. Good start as all 3 birdied the first hole.

It's early, but -1 is the average score on the course this morning.
Kansas Kid
11:20a, 1/24/24
Video of our boys. Worth the 2 minutes.

https://www.pgatour.com/korn-ferry-tour/video/video/6345440336112/texas-am-teammates-bennett-and-lee-chase-win-at-the-bahamas-great-abaco-classic
Seven Costanza
11:46a, 1/24/24
Bennett currently T1. Winning would go a long way on the path to a Tour Card. You get 500 points for a win. Around 800 points for the entire season was enough to get a card last season over 30 events, so he would be a great position this early to qualify with even a "decent" rest of the season. And, it's a long shot, but winning 3 times earns an automatic promotion.
GigEmJake17
12:08p, 1/24/24
I was wondering how Sam was going to get into KFT events since in q school finals he didn't do great, but he appears to be in on the "150-200 FedEx cup standings" from last year
Fish-N-Chips
12:53p, 1/24/24
Sammy B in 1st! 1 shot lead through 8.

Edit: Jinxed him and he bogey'd 9. No more updates from me.
Aggie95
1:03p, 1/24/24
Chandler Phillips off to a good start at Farmers as well
SouthAustinAgSwag
1:18p, 1/24/24
In reply to Aggie95
Why is this tournament starting on a Wednesday?
SW AG80
1:21p, 1/24/24
In reply to Fish-N-Chips
How are you following this tournament?
Aggie95
1:24p, 1/24/24
In reply to SouthAustinAgSwag
SouthAustinAgSwag said:

Why is this tournament starting on a Wednesday?
The PGA moved it up so they don't have to compete with the NFL games on Sunday. The championship games are at 3pm and 6:30pm EST I believe.
Aggie95
1:25p, 1/24/24
In reply to SW AG80
SW AG80 said:

How are you following this tournament?
https://www.pgatour.com/korn-ferry-tour/tournaments/2024/the-bahamas-great-abaco-classic-at-the-abaco-club/H2024125/leaderboard
PJYoung
2:13p, 1/24/24
In reply to Fish-N-Chips
Fish-N-Chips said:

Sammy B in 1st! 1 shot lead through 8.

Edit: Jinxed him and he bogey'd 9. No more updates from me.
GigEmJake17
2:41p, 1/24/24
Sam with a very rough back 9....
Kansas Kid
3:12p, 1/24/24
In reply to GigEmJake17
Both are having rough days today. Hopefully they learn from it and come back stronger.
GigEmJake17
3:14p, 1/24/24
In reply to Kansas Kid
Yep. They'll have plenty more tournaments to win! I fully expect them both to be near the top of the leaderboard consistently.
SouthAustinAgSwag
3:36p, 1/24/24
Congrats to Sam on a top 10 finish. Both he and Walker have a lot to be proud of and build from.
Kansas Kid
3:37p, 1/24/24
Chandler and Burgoon are T16. They need to put up a big day today since they are on the easier north course today.

Champ is already in trouble of missing the cut at 148th.
SouthAustinAgSwag
3:45p, 1/24/24
In reply to Kansas Kid
He missed 17 of 29 cuts last season, and so far he's 0 for 2 this season.
Kansas Kid
3:10p, 1/26/24
Nice break for Chandler
https://www.pgatour.com/video/competition/6345656552112/chandler-phillips-makes-a-cliffhanger-of-a-birdie-at-farmers

Nate Lashley with an even bigger break. I have never seen a putt do what this one did other than in Caddyshack

https://www.espn.co.uk/video/clip/_/id/39394940
AgLA06
3:30p, 1/26/24
In reply to Kansas Kid
Torrey is a beautiful course, but it's a very frustrating course. It's not really long and doesn't seem difficult, but my score generally reflects the opposite. There are 4 prongs of defense for Torrey. The weather. Narrow fairways with ridiculous rough. 3 tier elevated greens with deep pot bunkers often over your head. And putts break all over the place regardless of read.

If you play anytime close to the major tournaments they host, the rough is a next level. It's not overgrown like some of the famous tournaments but it's so damn thick it's impossible to play out of. You often can't cut corners because the fairway is too narrow eve if your a big hitter. If you're in a bunker or on the wrong tier of the green, it's danger zone of a 3 shot / 3 putt. And what the green looks like often isn't how it breaks. Some break to the ocean, some break to the revine, some break based on what the green looks like. Only residents that get to play often really have a good idea.

That last putt is a great demonstration of what Torrey Pines putts are like. They never seem to go straight no matter the read and often break 90 degrees opposite of expectation at the end. People say they're bumpy because of the Poa, and they are. What gets me is they are squishy like a sponge. It's just weird for a bermuda guy.
Chipotlemonger
12:28a, 1/27/24
In reply to AgLA06
Well said. Going from Texas back in 2019 and playing Torrey was a mind warp for sure. Completely different kind of golf!
_lefraud_
8:33a, 1/29/24
Bennett and Lee are in Panama this week.

Arnaus, Nacho, Pavan and Veerman in Bahrain.

No Ags will be at Pebble beach this year
GigEmJake17
3:19p, 2/2/24
Sam -3 on first 9 today. Good for tie for 3rd and two shots off lead. Course is playing hard today too so he is doing well.

Walker at +4 with 9 to go. Two shots off cut.
_lefraud_
9:27a, 2/7/24
Champ in PHX for the Waste Management

Bennett & Lee in Columbia

Nacho, Pavan and Veerman in Qatar
watty
9:57a, 2/7/24
In reply to _lefraud_
_lefraud_ said:

Palmer in Waste Management too, unless something changed.
MAROON
10:01a, 2/7/24
In reply to watty
he is not. Never was in.
AgLA06
10:09a, 2/7/24
In reply to watty
watty said:

_lefraud_ said:

Palmer in Waste Management too, unless something changed.
Last I saw he was (almost) begging for an exemption and had to go through qualifying for the last 4 spots.

I love Ryan, but I can't wait until he turns 50. I'm really hoping he takes the Champions Tour by storm.
jja79
10:14a, 2/7/24
In reply to AgLA06
He played the monday Q. -7 made it in and he shot -4.

It's cold this week. 40's this morning and only supposed to be mid to upper 50's for the tournament. It has also been raining so the course is going to play differently that it usually does.
watty
10:39a, 2/7/24
I had just assumed he was in when he posted his tweet with the golf balls wrapped in money. Dang.
I Am A Critic
11:07a, 2/7/24
In reply to AgLA06
AgLA06 said:

I love Ryan, but I can't wait until he turns 50. I'm really hoping he takes the Champions Tour by storm.
You might be on to something. He's usually only good for three rounds out of four.
Username checks out.
jja79
4:26p, 2/7/24
Hopefully better weather tomorrow for the start.

AgLA06
4:28p, 2/7/24
In reply to I Am A Critic
I Am A Critic said:

AgLA06 said:

You might be on to something. He's usually only good for three rounds out of four.

Sad, but true.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 2 of 5
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off