Masters TV ratings down significantly....

4,311 Views | 63 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by Lonestar_Ag09
Aggie95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I know golf is struggling with viewership in general but I'm not sure why at this point, especially for The Masters. There was no LIV vs PGA issue as the important LIV players were playing.

The 3rd round was great and it setup a pretty compelling leaderboard and tight battle to start the final round. What can the PGA do about the declining ratings?
AggieDruggist89
AG
Aggie95 said:

I know golf is struggling with viewership in general but I'm not sure why at this point, especially for The Masters. There was no LIV vs PGA issue as the important LIV players were playing.

The 3rd round was great and it setup a pretty compelling leaderboard and tight battle to start the final round. What can the PGA do about the declining ratings?
Clone Tiger
The Milkman
AG
I'm sure streaming through the Masters app took a lot of the tv numbers too
lazuras_dc
AG
The Milkman said:

I'm sure streaming through the Masters app took a lot of the tv numbers too
If ratings don't count Masters.com or following featured groups, etc. on watch ESPN. Then 100% this.

Otherwise, Augusta can get ball magnets under the greens to control and guide Tiger's putts in and get him in contention on Sunday. With the leaderboard how it was, if Tiger was even 1 under par Sunday morning, interest and viewership would have been bananas. In my humble opinion.
1872walker
lazuras_dc
AG
Haha Geno and Joel have really made a name for themselves. Great to see.
Ag_07
AG
Just a thought...Did they increase the number of lottery tickets? Seemed like a lot more folks I know and on this board won tickets this year.

More people there = less people watching on TV
NColoradoAG
Scheffeler is dominating and he has practically zero personality or fire. People want heroes and villains in golf as well. Maybe if one of the LIV guys had a better chance going into Sunday the ratings would have been a bit better.
E
AG
NColoradoAG said:

Scheffeler is dominating and he has practically zero personality or fire. People want heroes and villains in golf as well. Maybe if one of the LIV guys had a better chance going into Sunday the ratings would have been a bit better.
Bryson tried his best

DannyDuberstein
AG
Ag_07 said:

Just a thought...Did they increase the number of lottery tickets? Seemed like a lot more folks I know and on this board won tickets this year.

More people there = less people watching on TV

Couldn't be enough to make a dent in tv ratings, but that said, reports of crowds seem like they did admit more. The number of people there by 6-6:30am, lines, etc sound very different than pre-covid. Not that there weren't lines before, but sounds like things were more extreme this year. At least for practice rounds
Gigem314
AG
NColoradoAG said:

I don't think it has anything to do with Scotty's personality.

No one has captured the ratings and attention like Tiger - who had zero personality in the first phase of his career. He sent golf into the stratosphere because he truly dominated - and did it with a lot of exciting shots. As in, was in the hunt for every major and was expected to win at least 1-2 a season. No one has touched that.

Scotty, Rahm, Bryson, Brooks, Dustin, Thomas, Spieth, Rory - all damn good players. Brooks had a run of 4 majors in three seasons, Spieth won 2 in one season, but golf has come back down from the 'Tiger years' to more of the norm where the best players are dominate for maybe 2-3 of the majors over the course of a season and they'll win a major - but not every year. The 'Brooks vs. Bryson' thing was fun - but it never led to the ratings like Tiger vs. Phil or Tiger vs. The Field.
jja79
AG
A lot of avid golf watchers I know, myself included, watch very little golf anymore. The fracture, the talk about money, etc has taken a lot of the fun out of it.
Aggie Therapist
AG
Is it because I spent 3/4 days watching the Masters on their website feeds instead of TV?

I found it really nice to have that functionality on their website. Best I have seen it in years. Especially while at the office.
DannyDuberstein
AG
jja79 said:

A lot of avid golf watchers I know, myself included, watch very little golf anymore. The fracture, the talk about money, etc has taken a lot of the fun out of it.

I think this is a chunk of it. I know it's lessened my interest week to week and I'm watching less overall. Now I'm an avid fan and I still watched the Masters as much as usual, but I could see it wearing on less avid fans and they just get used to not tuning in at all.
Ag_07
AG
It's not so much the case for The Masters because they have very limited commercials but I watch very little golf because the amount of commercials are unbearable.

This whole playing through thing makes them think they can just play commercials non stop and we should watch on a small screen with no sound.

It's awful
The Milkman
AG
NColoradoAG said:

People like to see dominance or a dynasty. It doesn't have to be a "personality".
NColoradoAG
The Milkman said:

NColoradoAG said:

People like to see dominance or a dynasty. It doesn't have to be a "personality".
Just my opinion. Scottie is boring as hell. Certainly an amazing talent but he is not bringing viewers to golf.
hunterjr81
I wish people playing golf was down 20%. Not easy finding tee times at my home course until really late.
Yesterday
AG
The back nine in the final round at the Masters is the most exciting golf to watch. Unfortunately one of the most boring golfers was dominating leading to zero drama.

Put Rory up by one with Reed just behind him and you have ratings records. Just the way it is.
Ag_07
AG
hunterjr81 said:

I wish people playing golf was down 20%. Not easy finding tee times at my home course until really late.

And expensive AF

If you want to play something besides a goat ranch full of beer drinkers in denim it's $100+.
bowhuntr
If only people would lose enough interest to make the ticket lottery more achievable. I could honestly care less about growing the game.
NColoradoAG
bowhuntr said:

If only people would lose enough interest to make the ticket lottery more achievable. I could honestly care less about growing the game.

Going to keep beating the same drum. They should make you pay for whatever you request up front and refund if you don't win the lottery. Would solve a lot of problems.
bowhuntr
NColoradoAG said:

bowhuntr said:

Going to keep beating the same drum. They should make you pay for whatever you request up front and refund if you don't win the lottery. Would solve a lot of problems.
Agree…start at $600 a ticket per day and see what happens. Bet we would all get to go to the Masters once every 3-4 years.
DargelSkout
AG
NColoradoAG said:

bowhuntr said:

Like they do for elk hunting in New Mexico? I didn't get drawn for that either this year.

I do like that idea though. It would weed out a lot of shenanigans.
jonj101
DannyDuberstein said:

jja79 said:

I think this is a chunk of it. I know it's lessened my interest week to week and I'm watching less overall. Now I'm an avid fan and I still watched the Masters as much as usual, but I could see it wearing on less avid fans and they just get used to not tuning in at all.

Bingo. I'm a working man, and I tune in to be entertained by great competition and golf shots. I don't care about how much money they're clearing, or any social/political issues they feel like emphasizing.

Maybe its my middle aged mindset talking, but they've practically choked the fun out of it.
Yesterday
AG
NColoradoAG said:

bowhuntr said:

100%. Everyone and their mom applies because it's a guaranteed ~$4k profit if they hit. There needs to be some skin in the game to apply.
jja79
AG
Exactly. Being a fan of professional golf is no longer fun. Money and politics in sports will crush it. There are lots of things to do instead of watching golf. I watched a little of the Masters but just a little..
Tom Kazansky 2012
AG
I am just going to say, compared to almost all the other tournaments this season, this masters this season was a snoozer, especially on Sunday. Looked like Scottie slept walked his way to the win.

Compared to him sweating it out at the Players and missing the putt to tie in Houston.
CyclingAg82
AG
Yesterday said:

The back nine in the final round at the Masters is the most exciting golf to watch. Unfortunately one of the most boring golfers was dominating leading to zero drama.

Put Rory up by one with Reed just behind him and you have ratings records. Just the way it is.
There were 4 tied for the lead at the turn. Amen corner was dramatic and entertaining.

I don't get the "boring" golfer comments about Scheffler, he is doing what Tiger did in that great run from 2000 -2002 except without the screams or fist pumps. He doesn't have the majors stacked up but my feeling is he will win a few in the next years.

If Scheffler is boring what are Homa, Morikawa or McIroy? Or any of the golfers....they all do about the same thing and react the same way.

Definitely missed Rahm being contention, he is more animated. The angry elf (Hatton) cracks me up, because every missed putt is a complaint fest. Spieth is the most entertaining from a talking before and after the shot POV.

Scheffler is fantastic for the game, class act.

jckrjr7
AG
I think it's 3 things:

1) people streaming through ESPN+ and masters.com
2) Some have been turned off by money/drama
3) People are just out playing golf instead of watching. Tee sheets are slammed every weekend including this past Sunday
Aggie Therapist
AG
Ag_07 said:

hunterjr81 said:

And expensive AF

If you want to play something besides a goat ranch full of beer drinkers in denim it's $100+.

Just move to Southern Pines, North Carolina. I was stationed at Fort Bragg and lived in SoPines/Pinehurst area.

$20 got you a round of golf at a beautiful course.

I can't remember the exact statistics but it was an absurd amount of golf courses in a small amount of square miles.

Truly the cradle of golf.
bowhuntr
Aggie Therapist said:

Ag_07 said:

hunterjr81 said:

And expensive AF

Just move to Southern Pines, North Carolina. I was stationed at Fort Bragg and lived in SoPines/Pinehurst area.

$20 got you a round of golf at a beautiful course.

I can't remember the exact statistics but it was an absurd amount of golf courses in a small amount of square miles.

Truly the cradle of golf.
I think it is over 40 in a 10 mile radius. Lived there as well - incredible golf. Not much else!
aggiedent
AG
jja79 said:

Yeah……I guess I fit into that category. Most regular tournaments are very diluted talent wise……even the signature events don't seem particularly interesting to me. I started to watch the Masters, but for whatever reason, I lost interest and played around outside.
AustinCountyAg
ratings are down because of smartphones/internet. You no longer have to watch to know whats going on. you pull it up on Instagram or whatever. You have to have patience and an actual interest in golf to watch. The majority of Americans, especially the younger audience do not have both of those qualities. Golf ratings on tv will continue to go down.
bowhuntr
AustinCountyAg said:

ratings are down because of smartphones/internet. You no longer have to watch to know whats going on. you pull it up on Instagram or whatever. You have to have patience and an actual interest in golf to watch. The majority of Americans, especially the younger audience do not have both of those qualities. Golf ratings on tv will continue to go down.

This. For most tournaments, I follow the scores. If it gets to be must see TV, I turn it on for the last hour or so. Too busy with other stuff to sit in front of a tv all afternoon.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.