Range Balls Carry Distance vs Normal Ball
1,316 Views | 12 Replies
Sweet Kitten Feet
1:59p, 4/29/24
Ok, so I went to the range for the first time with the flightscope shot tracker I bought from one y'all. Talk about deflating my ego. On the course if the distance is like 150-165 I'm pulling my 7 iron out of the bag. But over 30 shots yesterday my carry was averaging 125.3. I thought it was wrong so I pulled out my range finder. It was pretty darn accurate. Would range balls really decrease the carry that much? I was hitting into a very humid wind some yesterday. I was just really surprised. Never had the data before, always just kinda guesstimated. But I do know how far it goes on the course. Now I'm like obsessed with my data and looking at ways to improve each area, primarily club head speed.
powerbelly
2:11p, 4/29/24

Quote:

On the course if the distance is like 150-165 I'm pulling my 7 iron out of the bag.
Are you consistently short of your target on the course?
khaos288
2:18p, 4/29/24
Range balls can vary, but some are sold as much as 40% reduced distance.

It's VERY possible your real life game data vs range ball practice data is nerfed heavily.
Aggie369
2:21p, 4/29/24
Typical new range ball is like 5-7% off carry distance

Some balls are restricted carry and those are much higher %
Sweet Kitten Feet
2:25p, 4/29/24
In reply to powerbelly
powerbelly said:

Quote:

On the course if the distance is like 150-165 I'm pulling my 7 iron out of the bag.
Are you consistently short of your target on the course?
No. My carry distance is usually a couple clubs shorter than the guys I play with, but I am pretty consistent with my hybrid and iron distance. Driver is another story...
Mr.Bond
3:45p, 4/29/24
Range balls are a terrible metric to use for distance
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Sweet Kitten Feet
3:50p, 4/29/24
In reply to Mr.Bond
I guess so. Oh well I guess since it's consistent at least I can use my data to improve. I gotta get my club head speed up though. My driver is avg 86mph and I'm 45. Gotta start exercising more
Mr.Bond
3:53p, 4/29/24
In reply to Sweet Kitten Feet
Ever heard of a MISIG?
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Mr.Bond
3:55p, 4/29/24
https://texags.com/forums/60/topics/3183858/0#discussion

bowhuntr
4:03p, 4/29/24
2nd the MISIG…it's not your strength. Likely flexibility and form - too much arms not enough lower body action.
G Martin 87
2:38p, 4/30/24
The value in using range balls is to work on better contact and face control, not distance. If your range sessions mostly consist of trying to maximize distance in a straight line, you're not getting the most benefit.
agracer
2:44p, 4/30/24
In reply to powerbelly
Golf Digest did a test of range balls they collected from 1/2-dozen ranges/courses and used the mechnical hitting machine to test the distances with a 7I and a driver.

This was from 2014 but I don't think a lot has changed with range ball tech

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/gd-tested-range-balls

Matsui
5:31p, 4/30/24
In reply to agracer
Pretty cool data
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1