Cleaning before painting
733 Views | 4 Replies
AsburyAg
9:21a, 4/5/24
I'm going to need to paint my house soon - the eaves, overhangs, and trim. Most of it doesn't need to be scraped, but I do need to clean off the 20 years of grime. What do you recommend for cleaning it?
ME92
11:10a, 4/5/24
TSP. And gloves.

Use a brush or a sponge to scrub off the dirt. A sponge might shred a bit on the rough parts so be aware.
will.mcg
12:08p, 4/5/24
Pressure washer
DartAg1970
8:28a, 4/12/24
I use a combination of TSP and Clorox Outdoor mixed with water. I scrub with an outdoor broom type brush and power wash it off. Works like a charm.
91AggieLawyer
3:53p, 4/12/24
I think a pressure washer with Simple Green's pressure washer solution should do the job. I've gotten a lot of stuff off with that.

Home Depot has this version. The one I have, which may be a fence wash, I got at Grainger.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Simple-Green-1-Gal-Oxy-Solve-House-and-Siding-Pressure-Cleaner-Washer-Concentrate-2310000418232/306781778

You can rent a pressure washer if you don't have one. Beats the heck out of scrubbing, though I'd spray a highly concentrated (1:1) amount on the area with a pump sprayer, agitate it a little with a scrub brush, then hit is with the washer for best results.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings