EVERLAST COMPOSITE SIDING

1,296 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 18 days ago by BiggiesLX
tgivaughn
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
New to me
Says no painting never & no maintenance, lifetime warranty
EZier to cut/install than Hardie
Horiz & Vert applications

Any personal experiences out there?
Caveats?
Cost compare?
RogerFurlong
It's expensive.

I wouldn't put too much stock in the lifetime warranty. If they go out of business it's no good. If the installer doesn't go exactly by their manual it's no good.

It looks like it installs similar to vinyl, which there aren't a ton of good vinyl installers anymore.

It does look good though.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
I went with Knotwood for an addition three years ago. It's powder coated aluminum. At the time, boards were 18 ft. by 6 in. and $100 per board. I've been very pleased with it. I pressure wash it, along with the rest of the house, annually.

EDIT: The boards were 18 ft. in length. Not 16.

bam02
AG
That looks good!
tgivaughn
AG
Your location?
In-the-day, TAMU Married student housing South Side had tin canning effects with both the alum & steel siding but assume the materials were thinner gage if not the weather/exposure.

Same problems with experimental vinyl fencing.

TAMU = Testing All Materials Unlimited.cash
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
Millican. Here are some photos of sample pieces they sent me when I first inquired about it. Different color, obviously.

tgivaughn
AG
Impressive engineering, certainly a horse of a different color than in-the-day!
Leggo My Elko
AG
It's really really good stuff, If you can stomach the cost. I've worked for a company that did some siding, we only actually ever did one Everlast job because it was so expensive relative to the alternatives (Fiber Cement or vinyl), but that one job turned out amazing.

You may also want to consider a Composite/PVC type siding. Basically think of it like composite decking except siding.
Leggo My Elko
AG

Quote:

which there aren't a ton of good vinyl installers anymore.

This is the truth. Worse is the guys who install Hardie, then think they are good vinyl installer.
Gil Renard
AG
LP SmartSide > Hardie
Hardie > Vinyl
Gil Renard
AG
Hardie is hard to install correctly
RogerFurlong
Gil Renard said:

There are tons of new homes that will have issues in the future from improper installation. Homeowners will be in for a shock when their warranty claims are denied and the builder is past his one year warranty.
texsn95
AG
Gil Renard said:

What is the correct method and how do most people get it wrong?
Gil Renard
AG
texsn95 said:

Gil Renard said:

What is the correct method and how do most people get it wrong?

Engineered wood you want to gap 3/16 since the house moves foundation etc. creates more work with caulking but it's seamless

Issues with Fibercement is typicallly gap expansion the seams. When hardie gets wet it's pourous. It will shrink over time and you'll have larger gaps through the years. Make sure you use the correct Hardie blades and wear a mask
Gil Renard
AG
https://www.jameshardiepros.com/getattachment/1950b681-cd27-41b6-86eb-c21c8ec1ae45/1648-dae7e41bc6195fa
Gil Renard
AG
https://lpcorp.com/resources/product-literature/installation-instructions/lp-smartside-lap-siding
texsn95
AG
Thanks for the info.
aezmvp
We stock it and it's a PITA to deal with, dust everywhere, installers hate the stuff and unless you're really specialized its just awful. Once it's on the house and done correctly it's great. Otherwise ooof.
BiggiesLX
You can also score and snap the boards which is a little less messy, but more time consuming.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.