pool heater / chiller combo Houston rec
802 Views | 11 Replies
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
3:47p, 4/7/24
Looking to install a pool heater chiller combo. Have gas run. Looking for brands or company's in Houston area. Would prefer a chiller that can run July-sept when the pool is 90+ degrees and also heat the pool to 85 or so in the winter as needed
ktownag08
10:30p, 4/7/24
Have a natural gas heater and separate Glacier Chiller. Works really well and our pool is full sun with dark finish.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
11:29p, 4/7/24
In reply to ktownag08
ktownag08 said:

Have a natural gas heater and separate Glacier Chiller. Works really well and our pool is full sun with dark finish.

Talk to me
I have full sun and dark finish and late summer the pool sucks it's so hot.
ComeAndTakeIt
8:34a, 4/8/24
It helps me to run our pumps and waterfall at night. Same concept as a pool cooler.
fire09
8:37a, 4/8/24
Glacier chillers are the best bang for your buck out there if you don't want to mess with evaporative cooling.
Captain Winky
8:44a, 4/8/24
Whats a ballpark figure for these things?
ComeAndTakeIt
8:49a, 4/8/24
I had a Glacier Chiller delivered from Arizona and installed myself for about $2500 a few years ago. Less than 30k gallons pool. I didn't get the results I wanted. Only about a 5 degree difference in temperature with a light sand colored pool.
SharkinAg
2:01p, 4/8/24
I got an estimate for a pentair heater combo in corpus last year. Gas heater. It's was 3800-5000 for the unit depending on who bought it. Installed somewhere around 8 grand in total with running a gas line about 15 feet with two regulators. I passed. I may revisit it this fall. Wish I had it now to get the pool temp up about ten more degrees. I really don't need the chiller because mine is a light blue and tops out at 90 on the warmest days and we usually don't swim until late evenings when it's miserable like that so most people like the warm water with the wind down here.
Pool heater chiller combo was closer to 10 grand. Multiple quotes.
ktownag08
2:41p, 4/8/24
Glacier Chiller takes about 8-10 degrees off our water temp in peak summer that otherwise is 95 degrees. Yes, even on the most brutal of Houston summer days.

More context. Full sunlight hits our pool from 9am until sunset with the darkest blue mini pebble Stonescapes has to offer. Pool is also only 4-5 ft deep as well.

I have it set to run from 8pm Thurs night until late Sunday afternoon all summer long. Barely noticed a difference in my electrical bill. Fully dialed in with automatic valve actuators that control the flow properly to keep chiller running optimally.

There are different size chillers too so size it appropriately.
Corps_Ag12
9:11a, 4/11/24
The biggest thing to remember for these units is they need to run every night. Your pool will heat up during the day, especially in full sun with a dark finish. An idea would be to switch your schedule to night time and let it cool and sanitize together if using a single speed pump.

Alternatively if you have a variable speed pump, then you could run 24/7 at a lower speed and open up the chiller valves each night & close them in the morning.

If you try to run it 24/7 it will also heat your water up during the day.
TXAGGIES
7:26p, 4/11/24
Guess I am lucky our pool at times is too cold during the summer. We only get direct sunlight for a few hours and have numerous water features which helps cool as well. We thought about those solar pads to help warm it but weren't sure if the actually worked
LostInLA07
7:20a, 4/12/24
Any installer recommendations?
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE