best credit card offer/rewards for $30K project
711 Views | 2 Replies
EliteZags
4:15p, 4/12/24
family member a has an upcoming $30-35K roof underlayment replacement and wanting to find a credit card that would maximize the return in bonus offer + cash back

best option I've seen is Capital One Spark 2% Cash Plus with $1200 bonus after $30K/3month spend plus 2% unlimited cash back on everything

so the total return would be ~$1600 after the $150 annual fee, just over 5% back on 30K
It's technically a business card but from what I hear they're not difficult to get without having an actual business(?)

anything else out there that gives a higher cash back rate on high limit home repair category?
BenTheGoodAg
4:29p, 4/12/24
FWIW, I think you'll find that a lot of contractors will charge a credit card fee that wipes whatever cashback you're getting at that scale of project, unless you're directly buying materials from a big box store. They're getting hit with the transactions fees and will pass those costs on to you. On the other hand, most retail bakes that cost into their pricing.

Honestly, the best savings I've ever had for home improvement projects were when paying actual cash.
tgivaughn
4:34p, 4/12/24
Agree w/Ben of course but
if CC is mandatory then pick your poison/passion
Travel = United MC*
Hotels = Marriott VISA
Electronics = Best Buy VISA
many others

* 2007 we flew Biz.class x2 round trip from Aggieland to Honolulu for $50 + United "miles" saved up
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings