St Augustine grass plugs - Dallas area

1,171 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by HDeathstar
rebel06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone have a good place to purchase St Augustine plugs in Dallas?
Aggie71013
AG
I get them at Cornelius in Houston. Calloway's in Dallas is the same company. They aren't cheap at $25 for a flat the size of a square of sod.
aston158
Bought many flats at calloways
planoaggie123
AG
Why plugs vs sod squares? Are you filling in just tiny gaps?

I did the plug thing a few years back and it was very slow to take.

You can pull up to HD most any time and grab a few squares and its not too expensive....
Aggie71013
AG
Not OP, but two reasons I like plugs.

1. I know what variety of St. Augustine I'm getting. The pallets at big stores are an unknown.

2. Unless you remove a layer of topsoil, squares raise the overall height of your soil. If you're totally replacing your yard that's likely fine. If replacing only pieces you get humps from my experience.
B-1 83
AG
You can also pull runners from your own lawn and bury them with just some leaves showing. They'll take root.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
FincAg
AG
Miller Grass is respectable, Plano Rd at 635.
planoaggie123
AG
So if plugs are the way you definitely want to go and you know the variety you want....when i did it....i actually had good luck with Home Depot and the plugs were packaged well and in great shape (delivered)...they worked...maybe I just needed to buy more more as I wanted a quicker spread for some fairly decent size "areas of need"
Col. Steve Austin
AG
I used a sod plugger like this back in the day. Take plugs from your existing yard and fill the holes back with topsoil. Then make holes with the same tool to plant the plugs in the bare area. It works but takes a LONG time to fill in gaps as noted above. Think about Uncle Bud's backyard in Urban Cowboy. It didn't change much from beginning to end LOL.

I am not the Six Million Dollar Man, but I might need that surgery. "We have the technology, we can rebuild him!"
rebel06
AG
Thanks for the replies and tips. I read that plugs do better in the long run because the roots are better established. It'll take longer to fill in but that doesn't really bother me.
ChoppinDs40
AG
Just lay down a pallet and keep it watered
HDeathstar
I like plugs. Squares do not have dirt on them, only clay. You are adding a layer of clay when you put the squares down. If you get good sun and can water, the plugs work great.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.