Looking into a turnkey solution for backyard office in Austin
1,444 Views | 11 Replies
2012Ag
12:48p, 4/22/24
Considering a backyard office in N Austin and wanted to get this subs opinion on a price from a local turn key company. Also welcome any suggestions/alternatives.

$35K for the smallest product appears steep, although it includes everything to finish the project. This is for the Pod 12 within the "Essentials" collection.
https://www.backyardpod.com/pod-essentials

Background: We are expecting baby #2 and would like some additional space. Between kids and a busy job, I have no desire to DIY. I likely could, but it would take a significant amount of time I dont want to devote right now. We've also considered upgrading the home as a hole, but don't feel like we've fully outgrown it so we'd like to avoid a 'too much house' problem. I work from home 2 -3 days a week and have evening calls with teams overseas twice a week. Appreciate any input!
Aggietaco
1:21p, 4/22/24
Malachi of https://wereoutback.com/ has done a few for folks in our neighborhood and I haven't heard anything bad about him. He also did a spot with Matt Risinger for his youtube channel and actually stopped by to check out my shed while he was building Matt's fancy storage shed.
2012Ag
9:27a, 4/23/24
In reply to Aggietaco
Hadn't come across them yet, just sent a request for a quote. Much appreciated!
tlepoC
12:07a, 4/26/24
I have a backyard pod. Love the owner and got the opportunity to speak to him frequently with a disaster of an install. Best design of the Austin based ones. Avoid Podzilla.
2012Ag
9:20a, 4/26/24
In reply to tlepoC
You used the backyard pod company I linked?

How do you like it and what was the issue with the install?
tlepoC
9:54p, 4/26/24
I did. I'll add details later and link to backstory but let's just say they didn't know how to build a foundation. I think they are good overall but early days had some really bad PMs.

Overall I like it.
evan_aggie
12:27a, 4/27/24
I've got a Kanga office in the back.

Check those out.
evan_aggie
8:28a, 4/27/24

2012Ag
9:24a, 4/27/24
In reply to evan_aggie
Looks great, what are the dimensions of this one? About how much all in was it?
tgivaughn
9:34a, 4/27/24
In reply to evan_aggie
$500/sf + utility hookups?

Love it?

Wishes to make it better?
IMHO and am sticking to it
evan_aggie
10:39a, 4/27/24
In reply to 2012Ag
https://www.kangaroomsystems.com/plans-and-pricing/cottage-cabins-and-dwellings

It was built when we bought the house from previous owner. I saw some paperwork that led me to believe the price was 50% of what's listed now on their website for the kit.
evan_aggie
9:02a, 4/28/24
In reply to tgivaughn
It should have been 20x14. My gripe is that it's just big enough for an office and workout room, but not big enough to put in a small kitchenette and bedroom.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings