Tex Mex Recs

2,946 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 15 hrs ago by loveaTm
Jock 07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Have a group of coworkers descending upon SA next month for a work event. We'll all be coming in from CA, CO, & NV. I believe I'm the only Texan in the group and as such I'm trying to help set up the culinary aspects of the trip. I think I've got a decent read on the BBQ scene there but looking for any Tex Mex recommendations.
TIA
TX_Hunter
AG
What area of town, and how nice of a place are you looking for? El Mirasol, Soluna, and Paloma Blanca are nicer places. The Chispas at the first two will put you on your ass if you drink too many. There are a bunch of cheap hole in the wall type places around town that are good, but not necessarily where you would want to take a group.
Jock 07
AG
Ha, I suppose that detail would be helpful. Staying in the Lackland area. Nothing too fancy, just something with solid food.
f2foxes2001
AG
Acenar
El jarro
La fogata
bam02
AG
La Fogata in this case.
AgPT06
AG
I like Chaparral towards Helotes if want something different but plenty of space and great food IMO.
Garcia's on Fred Road
BrazosDog02
AG
I'd say La Fogata. We've never been but heard good things. It's on the list. We've been here for several years and havnt really found anything worth going to twice. Mirasol is decent. El Chapparal was not a place we'd go back to. Neither location was great. Honestly, Henrys Puffy Tacos and Las Palapas are about as good as any of the others we've tried as far as garden variety stuff goes. Lol.
Snowball
AG
If they've never been, as touristy as it might seem, its worth taking out of towners to Mi Tierra and getting them to see downtown/riverwalk. The food is okay, but the ambience is pretty cool for visitors.

El Mirasol is more upscaled Tex Mex, Nicer digs. Higher end with drinks/cocktails.

Alamo Cafe on 281/bitters is great for groups.

Garcia's is pretty solid Tex-Mex.

I was blown away by TLAHCO, not tex-mex, much more authentic but with great choices, variety and very San Antonio.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
It's a bit of a haul from Lackland area, but for old school tex-mex Los Barrios on Blanco is a good one. So is Blanco Cafe.

Person Not Capable of Pregnancy
Jock 07
AG
Thanks for all the suggestions, really appreciate it. I must admit my first thought was Mi Tierra as well just for the location aspect. Understanding that the food is decent and probably better than anyone can get coming in from the aforementioned locations.
I'll start looking through the suggestions and narrow down my options. Group will probably be around 20ish folks.
FIDO*98*
AG
Where are y'all staying? There's plenty good to go around, but with the construction going on right now there isn't anywhere worth going out of the way for
CoolaidWade
AG
80 said:

Garcia's on Fred Road
They are still making a mean brisket over there! I go there just for that. Even though everything else is still top notch.
Jock 07
AG
Lackland area
jgh85Ag
AG
Big fan of Tlacho.
On step 12 of 22 step BAS Anonymous program. Please donate, the struggle is real.
BurnetAggie99
Taqueria Tequila Jalisco is a hole in the wall Mexican joint by Lackland.
AgPediRPh
AG
I take friends from out of town to Rosario's
jgh85Ag
AG
I like Rosarios but the parking sucks.
On step 12 of 22 step BAS Anonymous program. Please donate, the struggle is real.
MAROON
AG
Just had cheese enchilada plate at Blanco Cafe. Loved every bit of it. Reminded me of the enchiladas my grand mother made me when I was young and came to visit in South SA.
CoolaidWade
AG
80 said:

Garcia's on Fred Road
As we like to say, "Garcias, on Fred and Craig"
AggieArchitect04
AG
Alternatively, you could put out an ad out for an "abuela" and she could make you a pretty good Mexican meal.
agenjake
If you're in the Lackland area, go to Don Pedro's on SW Military. They can handle big groups.
diamondag
BrazosDog02 said:

I'd say La Fogata. We've never been but heard good things. It's on the list. We've been here for several years and havnt really found anything worth going to twice. Mirasol is decent. El Chapparal was not a place we'd go back to. Neither location was great. Honestly, Henrys Puffy Tacos and Las Palapas are about as good as any of the others we've tried as far as garden variety stuff goes. Lol.

Henry's puffy Tacos is Aggie owned class of 91'. And the one on 410/ bandera is big and nice that can handle large parties.

BrazosDog02
AG
I'm not going to lie, I like Henry's A LOT. I don't want fancy gourmet Tex Mex. I just want a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas with ice tea and a margarita on the rocks and all the chips and salsa I can eat. I will leave way more than a quarter tip. Henry's is what I want out of my Mexican food establishment.
LoneStarAg17
AG
p_bubel
Mcintyre's on Broadway.

Or maybe the Hanger on Broadway. But I've aged out of that place. Surprisingly decent bar food.

There's no shortage of places around the Pearl though.
Jangleleg
We live in Helotes, just a minute away from El Chaparral. I'm just going to lay the truth out there. It's some Nasty food.
I have nothing to gain or lose by giving that review except to save people from a bad meal.

We like to head over to Pericos. 4 1/2 star restaurant at a great price.
loveaTm
AG
Disagree. But I also like Perico's so you're half right.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.