4:57p, 10/30/23
He's a classmate and I will update when we hear from his family members
File5
5:03p, 10/30/23
Hope he recovers quickly and fully!
74OA
7:53p, 10/30/23
Heart attack.

"In an address on Friday, he told reporters he was doing the job of both the Marine commandant and assistant commandant of the service, pending the confirmation of the new number-two officer in the Marine Corps, Lt. Gen. Christopher Mahoney."

SMITH
Matt_ag98
9:23p, 10/30/23
In reply to 74OA
74OA said:

Heart attack.

"In an address on Friday, he told reporters he was doing the job of both the Marine commandant and assistant commandant of the service, pending the confirmation of the new number-two officer in the Marine Corps, Lt. Gen. Christopher Mahoney."

SMITH

Prayers for the Commandant but I don't believe it that LTG is all the way over at....HQ Marine Corps... and not doing the assistant commandant job already, let's not kid ourselves
74OA
4:54a, 10/31/23
In reply to Matt_ag98
Matt_ag98 said:

74OA said:

Heart attack.

SMITH

Prayers for the Commandant but I don't believe it that LTG is all the way over at....HQ Marine Corps... and not doing the assistant commandant job already, let's not kid ourselves
Kidding ourselves would be accepting any such assumption. The authorities of the service chiefs and their deputies are codified in law, directive and regulation, and cannot be worked around with just a wink and nod by anyone not formally appointed to those positions without putting themselves in legal jeopardy.

HECKL
Matt_ag98
11:16p, 11/4/23
In reply to 74OA
Yep, and I have never written a ghost note or order for any GO by me doing all the staff work etc...right? Ok
74OA
9:18a, 11/5/23
In reply to Matt_ag98
Matt_ag98 said:

Yep, and I have never written a ghost note or order for any GO by me doing all the staff work etc...right? Ok
You doing routine staff work--like I once did--doesn't change the amount of time a senior officer has available each day to read and consider that work, amongst his other duties. That's why commanders have deputies and staffs have department heads to help carry that workload.
ABATTBQ87
1:23p, 11/5/23
General Smith is making excellent progress following sudden cardiac arrest earlier this week. His baseline physical health has directly contributed to his rapid improvement and he is recovering as expected. Once he is discharged from the hospital, he will continue his recovery at his military quarters, but will need to focus on his health prior to fully returning to duty.

https://www.marines.mil/News/Press-Releases/Press-Release-Display/Article/3579836/marine-corps-provides-2nd-update-on-gen-smith/

bigtruckguy3500
5:26p, 11/5/23
The article above mentions heart attack, the other press release mentions cardiac arrest. BIG difference. I hope it was just a heart attack.
inconvenient truth
12:12a, 11/6/23
In reply to 74OA
Trying to frame this politically as him having a heart attack due to tuberville holds is bull ***** If you're going that route it's much more likely it has to do with the unnecessary and unproven "vaccine" he was forced to take.
74OA
8:22a, 11/6/23
Assistant commandant finally appointed.

"Mahoney's confirmation and promotion comes as the Marine Corps weathers the crisis caused by Smith's sudden incapacitation -- and a Senate blockade on confirmations that left the assistant commandant job vacant for months and forced Smith to fill the service's two top jobs before he collapsed and was rushed to the hospital."

MAHONEY

The Kraken
10:47a, 11/7/23
In reply to inconvenient truth
inconvenient truth said:

Trying to frame this politically as him having a heart attack due to tuberville holds is bull ***** If you're going that route it's much more likely it has to do with the unnecessary and unproven "vaccine" he was forced to take.
Neither is acceptable. You and I have no idea why he had a cardiac issue. Men in their 50s have long had heart attacks. Dr. Dale Crockett '87 was in the same class as Gen Eric Smith '87, was Head Drum Major while Eric was the Combined Band Commander. 6 years ago Dale died of a heart attack while jogging in San Antonio.
plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose
ABATTBQ87
2:54p, 11/9/23
In reply to The Kraken
The Kraken said:

inconvenient truth said:

Neither is acceptable. You and I have no idea why he had a cardiac issue. Men in their 50s have long had heart attacks. Dr. Dale Crockett '87 was in the same class as Gen Eric Smith '87, was Head Drum Major while Eric was the Combined Band Commander. 6 years ago Dale died of a heart attack while jogging in San Antonio.

Yep, on his 52nd birthday, and 12 hours after completing a stress test.
ABATTBQ87
2:55p, 11/9/23
https://www.marines.mil/News/Press-Releases/Press-Release-Display/Article/3584487/commandant-transitions-to-inpatient-rehabilitation/

A message from Gen. Smith:

"I appreciate the outpouring of support for my family and me. My recovery is going well, and I look forward to getting back in the fight as soon as I can. Until that time, our Corps is in Gen. Mahoney's capable hands. What's more important is that I join all Marines in celebrating 248 years of our beloved Corps. Like many of you, I've celebrated our birthday in a variety of "climes and places" over the years, but what matters most is that we're together as a familyspiritually, if not physically. I'd ask you to take a moment to reach out to your brothers and sisters sitting next to you, as well as those you may not have connected with in a while. Have fun, and Happy Birthday Marines!"
ABATTBQ87
4:47p, 11/16/23
HEADQUARTERS, MARINE CORPS --
The Commandant of the Marine Corps, Gen. Eric. M. Smith, was released from inpatient care on Nov. 15 and is continuing his recovery. Gen. Smith's recovery is well ahead of schedule, and he is now focused on preparing for an upcoming procedure to repair a bicuspid aortic valve in his heart, which his doctors assess directly contributed to his cardiac arrest.

Gen. Smith and his wife, Trish remain incredibly thankful for the continued outpouring of support from family, friends and colleagues. They appreciate everyone's continued respect for their privacy ahead of Gen. Smith's procedure and full recovery.

Gen. Smith has also been in contact with the Assistant Commandant of the Marine Corps, Gen. Christopher J. Mahoney, who continues to perform the duties of the commandant.

"Gen. Mahoney and I see eye to eye on the strategic direction of our Corps and we are fortunate to be surrounded by a Marine Corps family filled with America's finest leaders," said Gen. Smith. "We continue to focus on finding the right balance between modernizing through Force Design and our day-to-day crisis response mission, while also on taking care of our Marines and Sailors."

https://www.marines.mil/News/Press-Releases/Press-Release-Display/Article/3591649/marine-corps-provides-4th-update-on-gen-smith/
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings