160th Blackhawk crash. 11-12-23
2,726 Views | 17 Replies
Aggie Therapist
4:30p, 11/12/23
Prayers for all those impacted by the news. Buddy reached out to me that's taking this crash pretty hard because his friend was onboard.

Even more tragic, today is the anniversary of our two friends dying in a Blackhawk crash in Egypt on
11-12-20. MFO400R.

Just a rough era for the platform and friends right now.

Blue Skies and Tailwinds.

https://www.npr.org/2023/11/12/1212558529/us-army-helicopter-crash-mediterranean
Outlaw0206
8:01p, 11/12/23
Such a tragedy. I unfortunately knew one of the pilots in this accident and a crew chief from Egypt. A sad reminder of the dangers of our profession. Keep your head up and certainly reach out if you ever need anyone to talk to.
Aggie Therapist
8:09p, 11/12/23
In reply to Outlaw0206
Been a day for sure.

But man we shared some great memories.
OldArmyCT
4:00a, 11/13/23
I've visited the 160th twice, once at Campbell and once at Hunter. There is no more professional, and gung-ho, outfit anywhere than those guys. I was once a Blackhawk IP and the one thing they do that scares the crap out of me is aerial refueling, especially at night. Prayers for everyone involved, especially the families of those lost.
Fly Army 97
4:27a, 11/13/23
Army Aviation is a small world. Dallas was one of my Hawk maintainers before he was a pilot and I served with him later. Such a good dude. Prayers out to the Nightstalkers and the families.
Naveronski
8:52a, 11/13/23
Pirate04
8:54a, 11/13/23
I graduated flight school with Steve. His wife is an Aggie. All around great dude and such a sweet family. I'm so devastated for his family.

Here.
bigtruckguy3500
3:01p, 11/13/23
Sorry to hear about y'all's losses. I spent a few years with a squadron. I always get a sinking feeling every time I hear about an aircraft going down.
Aggie Therapist
3:25p, 11/13/23
In reply to Fly Army 97
Fly Army 97 said:

Army Aviation is a small world. Dallas was one of my Hawk maintainers before he was a pilot and I served with him later. Such a good dude. Prayers out to the Nightstalkers and the families.

Such a great man. Always had my back and supported during tough times. He had passed 160th selection and was going to SOAR after he returned from Egypt
rackmonster
5:59p, 11/13/23
Every time I read something like this, I'm heartbroken. And haunted. and maybe feeling some "survivors guilt"

Everyone here sounds a lot younger than me. This notion of "routine In Flight Refueling Operation"?

Nothing "routine" about it. Over 40 years ago, off the USS Nimitz, I was tanking off an A-6. Everything "routine". Nice closure to the basket...and then, the reel looked strange, sine-waved back at me, sheared off my IFR probe, shattered my windshield. I lost all situational awareness, almost hit the A-6. We both got back to "normal" and the A-6 promptly declares an Emergency. They had a Hydraulic Failure which explained the "sine wave" of the reel. Hey...Can't blame me. Had alot of crazy **** happen in my carrier days, but this one gives me more "routine" nightmares than any other.

Just heartbroken for those guys, their loved ones, and all of you, their Aggie comrades.

Here.
Hey Nav
8:46p, 11/13/23
My sincere condolences to those of you that lost friends.

It's a brutal thing for the families and those who served with these warriors.

RIP and we'll always remember that freedom isn't free.
Fly Army 97
4:01p, 11/14/23
In reply to Aggie Therapist
Yea that was my last conversation with him - working there for a year before going to Green Platoon.

Turns out one of these crew chiefs was in the battalion I commanded. I didn't know him well, as we were deployed in different areas, but his old company mourns
OldArmyCT
4:56a, 11/15/23
CW3 Dwyer was a West Point grad who reverted to Warrant in order to stay in the 160th. If you want to talk about dedication this would be a good start.
https://dothaneagle.com/news/local/government-politics/ehs-grad-stephen-dwyer-killed-army-helicopter-crash/article_c4b90aea-8251-11ee-adb6-bf0ef7a8a2c2.html
wildmen09
4:25p, 11/21/23
If you're interested, there is a T-Shirt fundraiser where profits go straight to the families.

https://brotallion.com/collections/ghostriders-10-nov-2023
Aggie Therapist
4:42p, 11/21/23
In reply to wildmen09
Blue Skies Foundation is great. I have partnered with them before we raised a bunch of money for them.

You’re not alone—the Veterans Crisis Line is here for you. You don’t have to be enrolled in VA benefits or health care to call.

Dial 988 Press 1
Fly Army 97
12:26a, 11/24/23
In reply to OldArmyCT
OldArmyCT said:

CW3 Dwyer was a West Point grad who reverted to Warrant in order to stay in the 160th. If you want to talk about dedication this would be a good start.
https://dothaneagle.com/news/local/government-politics/ehs-grad-stephen-dwyer-killed-army-helicopter-crash/article_c4b90aea-8251-11ee-adb6-bf0ef7a8a2c2.html

Turns out his father was an AV battalion commander. One of the crew chiefs was with me in Europe during my battalion command. AV is a small world.
Texarkanaag69
4:07p, 1/15/24
In reply to OldArmyCT
OldArmyCT said:

OACT, my son, Class of '97, is with 5th SFG, and those loses hit the whole community hard. His b-in-l who is a C/O '99 I think, refused many overtures to go to OCS because he wanted to continue flying. He's now a W5 with 101st, but he knew and was close to those guys who perished. Dark days.
Tanker123
4:50p, 1/31/24
The 160th often assumes more risk because the Night Stalkers train as they fight.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings