Active to Reserves
1,550 Views | 11 Replies
203Raggie
11:07p, 12/30/23
Headed to the reserves after doing 6 years active. I'll be a full time student at A&M as well. What should I expect? What do the reserves do during drill weekends and the 2 weeks a year?

My reserve unit will be in Conroe. I'm a 15T.
OldArmyCT
4:53a, 12/31/23
I'm thinking you'll get to fix broken helicopters.
Pirate04
9:24a, 1/1/24
Are you a flying Tango? If so, you still have to maintain your currency and they'll expect you to fly when you're able. If you don't fly, you can expect to do PMDs and FOD walks on most weekends. The ARAC also offers up to 29-30 days of annual training order. All that to say, Reserve Aviation is more than 'one weekend a month, two weeks a year'.

But welcome to the Reserves!! Also, the Conroe unit is great. I've only heard good things about them. For reference, I'm at the medevac company out of MacDill.
203Raggie
10:04a, 1/1/24
In reply to Pirate04
I am a flyer. I assumed it would be a good bit of work just to maintain currency. I'm curious to see how it all goes. Should be fun to still be affiliated with the army and fly while not being active anymore.
maverick2076
3:12p, 1/1/24
In reply to Pirate04
Do not expect 1 weekend a month, 2 weeks in the summer anywhere in the Reserves or NG. Those days are long gone. Between deployments, Warfighter, XCTC, gunnery, etc. you will be on orders more than you expect. And if you are in the Guard here in TX, you have Operation lone Star as well.
203Raggie
3:17p, 1/1/24
I have 3 years no activation in my contract. How legit is that?
Pirate04
4:53p, 1/1/24
In reply to 203Raggie
I would say legit. Reserves deploy on scheduled rotations and as far as I'm tracking, the ARAC isn't set to deploy any brigade level assets anytime soon. That said, small detachments may come up to deploy but it's my assumption that it isn't likely you will be activated for a deployment during those 3 years.
txaggie_06
10:59a, 1/3/24
Have fun in Conroe. I remember being there before they transitioned. By that I mean they were still CAV and had the 64s.
Ctree
7:40p, 1/6/24
Scheduling Dental/PHA can be a pain so stay ahead of that if possible. Your unit may have a SRP annually to knock it all out though.
Koko Chingo
10:28a, 1/11/24
Sometimes it will seem that life decides to get busy around drill weekends. I was working full time when I went from active to reserve. Working 12 days in a row without a day off, plus family & life events can sometimes be exhausting.

Its probably too late for this semester to change anything. When scheduling your general course where you have to write papers; try and find course where you can read the one set of material. Then write two different papers from the same sources. It will save you time.

If you are looking for a little extra spending money, I could use an extra student worker. We are in an engineering lab and have free parking, lol. I am extremely flexible, especially for a veteran and someone who is drilling. Even if its only for a few hours one day a week this semester. In the summer you can go up to 40 hours.

Bonus if you have your open water scuba certification.
203Raggie
2:51p, 1/11/24
In reply to Koko Chingo
I'm a chemical engineering student and I am open water scuba certified. So that sounds perfect!
Koko Chingo
4:14p, 1/11/24
In reply to 203Raggie
Just messaged you.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >