Any FA59 Army Strategists on here?
841 Views | 4 Replies
Trident15
8:44p, 2/4/24
As the title states, I am looking to connect with any Aggie Army FA59s. I am interested in learning more about the functional area as the time comes to apply. Thanks!
OldArmyCT
4:34a, 2/5/24
In my day they just called you a plans officer. Eisenhower even spent time as a plans officer.
Smeghead4761
5:59a, 2/5/24
Back in the early 2000s (around 2003 or so, I think), the Army decided that at the O-4 rank, officers could designate as "Ops" ie, basic branch, or into a Functional Area. Among those Functional Areas were Strategic Intel, FAO, Civil Affairs, something that dealt with nukes, the aforementioned Strategic Plans & Policy (now just Strategist).

One of the best descriptors I heard of such types was the acronym KOOKs - "Keepers of Odd Knowledge"

I was a 59 from 2008 until I retired in 2016. 3 years in the G-5 at the 82nd, 2 years in grad school (at A&M), and the last 3 years in the Joint & Army Concepts Division at ARCIC.

The guy you really want to talk to, OP, is COL Francis Park. He runs the Basic Strategic Arts Program (BSAP, aka 59 school) at Carlisle. He's extremely smart, knowledgeable on all things 59, and good people.
Tanker123
7:29p, 2/5/24
Have you been to CGSC?
Smeghead4761
10:57p, 2/5/24
Functional Area selection is done subsequent to the O-4 board, prior to any orders for CGSC or ILE.

For the most part, officers designated 'Ops' will go to CGSC, and those designated for a functional area will go to ILE plus a follow-on school, such as BSAP, for their functional area.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings