Gen Alfred M. Gray. RIP

843 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Trident 88
Ulysses90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://marinecorpscompasspoints.substack.com/p/compass-points-rest-in-peace

Papa Bear has departed. Gen Gray was as transformative a leader for the Marine Corps as John Lejeune had been 65 years earlier.

I attended the summer commissioning ceremony at G. Rollie White in May 1988. The commissioning officer was Gen Gray (wearing summer dress whites before he canceled that uniform!). Tim Maxwell was the first to receive his commission because he was the Distinguished Naval Graduate from the Class of 1988.

Gen Gray handed Tim his commission and as he was shaking his hand, he swung with a fist and punched Tim HARD in the shoulder with a left hook. The audience gasped because it was a real punch that would have knocked most men off balance, but not Tim. He maintained his bearing , executed a left-face, and marched off the stage as the crowd whooped.

None of us knew that Al Gray's signature greeting for "his Marines" was a solid punch in the shoulder. Being punched in the shoulder by Gen Gray is a bucket-list point of pride for Marines of that era. After the last Marine received her commissioning punch, the first Navy Ensign crossed the stage and did a right face as he prepared to receive a punch. Instead, General Gray gave a very soft open handed pat on the shoulder and the crowd went wild shouting OOORAH! It was the most memorable commissioning ceremony I ever attended, including my own.

Semper Fidelis
usmcbrooks
I heard many stories about General "Uncle Al" Gray. One of my favorite stories, myth, legend was how he used to remove his stars and go through chow lines with Marines. I had the pleasure of meeting him when I was a young LCpl at 29 Palms years after he retired.

Fair winds and Following seas sir. Your legacy will carry on, every Marine is first and foremost, a rifleman. All other conditions are secondary.
depogs
AG
Godspeed and Semper Fidelis
These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph.-Thomas Paine
RebelE91
AG
Ulysses90 said:

https://marinecorpscompasspoints.substack.com/p/compass-points-rest-in-peace

Gen Gray handed Tim his commission and as he was shaking his hand, he swung with a fist and punched Tim HARD in the shoulder with a left hook. The audience gasped because it was a real punch that would have knocked most men off balance, but not Tim. He maintained his bearing , executed a left-face, and marched off the stage as the crowd whooped.

I was at that commissioning ceremony in 1988. I was a fish and we were watching our seniors, mainly Marines, get their commission. I remember General Gary in his whites, and I remember that punch.
Gunny456
AG
The world is definitely a lesser place with him passing.
Godspeed.
Trident 88
AG
I was there for my buddy, Tim. Unfortunately, I didn't graduate/get commissioned until August '88. Semper Fi.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.