******************* BOURBON *******************
4,978,805 Views | 39941 Replies
Johnny Foosball
9:00a, 5/3/24
In reply to AugustusGloop
Everything Rare Character touches is incredible
Aggie Therapist
9:40a, 5/3/24
We got permission to use the TexAgs logo for the 4 Roses pick!

And Mr. Jones is requesting a bottle as well. I think one of the pick team members can make that happen.

Big step forward for the TexAgs bourbon community.
trouble
9:47a, 5/3/24
In reply to Aggie Therapist
Tell Mr Jones he has to come to the bottle share at betadawg's to get his
ChoppinDs40
10:09a, 5/3/24

<AI> generate photo of Brandon Jones sitting on the Iron Throne with a bottle of whiskey in his hand </AI>

htxag09
11:08a, 5/3/24
Aggie Therapist said:

We got permission to use the TexAgs logo for the 4 Roses pick!

And Mr. Jones is requesting a bottle as well. I think one of the pick team members can make that happen.

Big step forward for the TexAgs bourbon community.
Damn, now I'm sad I didn't get in this one
Aggie Therapist
11:11a, 5/3/24
In reply to htxag09
Hopefully this is the beginning of something great and we have more great collaborations!

It's only the beginning.
ChoppinDs40
12:04p, 5/3/24
Just grabbed a bottle of barrel strength bulleit bourbon at Specs.

Any comments?
ConfidentAg
12:09p, 5/3/24
In reply to ChoppinDs40
My comment is to let us know how it tastes
SLCag
12:09p, 5/3/24
I'd return it. I was disappointed by it and ended up using as a mixer halfway through. Had a weak finish that was underwhelming for a barrell strength product.
HouseDivided06
12:10p, 5/3/24
In reply to ChoppinDs40
Better than regular Bulleit, but as far as barrel strength bourbons, it's relatively forgettable. Not bad by any stretch, but I think I have only bought it once. Curious your thoughts once you pop it. Maybe I need to revisit.
Sazerac
12:15p, 5/3/24
In reply to ChoppinDs40
Not worth it
BrokeAssAggie
12:17p, 5/3/24
Aggie Therapist said:

Hopefully this is the beginning of something great and we have more great collaborations!

It's only the beginning.

Hope the pic team got a good one!
ChoppinDs40
12:44p, 5/3/24
In reply to HouseDivided06
HouseDivided06 said:

Better than regular Bulleit, but as far as barrel strength bourbons, it's relatively forgettable. Not bad by any stretch, but I think I have only bought it once. Curious your thoughts once you pop it. Maybe I need to revisit.
bought for a gift/take to dinner tonight at a friend's...

hopefully I just have a glass or 2 or throw in an old-fashioned and can leave it there to collect dust if he doesn't like it.
srob2004
12:45p, 5/3/24
In reply to BrokeAssAggie
You know us. You know it will be amazing
RC_57
1:01p, 5/3/24
How difficult is it to find 10 year Eagle Rare? And the going rate?

Thanks
ConfidentAg
1:02p, 5/3/24
In reply to RC_57
I've never seen it in a store in-person.

But I'm new to the game.
AgDev01
1:19p, 5/3/24
In reply to RC_57
moderately. msrp is up to 40ish right now. secondary is 60ish.

if you are in austin/sa/dfw/houston you should be able to find a store that has it at a marked up price fairly easily.

That being said what is the reason you want it, at 60 there might be better recommendations for you.
hurleyag
1:23p, 5/3/24
In reply to RC_57
Found it twice in the "wild" at msrp. I'm not a big "hunter" but occasionally show up at specs & total wine at 10 on a Saturday.
BrokeAssAggie
1:31p, 5/3/24
In reply to RC_57
RC_57 said:

Thanks
If you pop into a specs or total wine once or twice a week you should eventually stumble upon one. Might take a few months.
Bulldog73
1:36p, 5/3/24
I've seen it several times, usually in the $50-60 range which is more than I'd personally pay. Spec's on drop days have had it consistently lately for MSRP.
tu ag
2:04p, 5/3/24
Not terribly hard to find. Recently bought 2 on secondary because a friend was looking for one, but otherwise I have found them in stores pretty regularly through even tight years.
RC_57
2:18p, 5/3/24
Thanks all

I had some at a wedding last month. Very smooth.

But now that I think about it, knowing the wedding party and the venue (Broadmoor in Colorado Springs) it probably wasn't the 10 yr bottle.
BrokeAssAggie
2:27p, 5/3/24
In reply to RC_57
RC_57 said:

Thanks all

I had some at a wedding last month. Very smooth.

But now that I think about it, knowing the wedding party and the venue (Broadmoor in Colorado Springs) it probably wasn't the 10 yr bottle.

I bet it was.
AgDev01
2:58p, 5/3/24
In reply to RC_57
99.999% chance it was the 10 year. That is by far the most common bottle. The other versions are top dollar bottles.

you'll be able to find it at some point but if you are looking for other things you might like i'd recommend Bowman Brothers at $30. Its a BT product like Eagle Rar, different mash bill but will share a lot of the same flavors and lower proof. Evan Williams Single Barrel - this will taste different but it is an 8+ year old bourbon that drinks very easily for $35ish. For around $60 4 roses small batch select has a pretty similar to ER with a bit more depth imo.

wmitchell
3:44p, 5/3/24
In reply to AgDev01
AgDev01 said:

99.999% chance it was the 10 year. That is by far the most common bottle. The other versions are top dollar bottles.

you'll be able to find it at some point but if you are looking for other things you might like i'd recommend Bowman Brothers at $30. Its a BT product like Eagle Rar, different mash bill but will share a lot of the same flavors and lower proof. Evan Williams Single Barrel - this will taste different but it is an 8+ year old bourbon that drinks very easily for $35ish. For around $60 4 roses small batch select has a pretty similar to ER with a bit more depth imo.

This is what makes this the best thread on Texags. I love introducing people to bourbon and expanding what they know!
RC_57
3:49p, 5/3/24
Yes, thanks for the replies

As the reason why I was thinking it might not have been the 10yr is because (1) we were drinking it in the grooms 1,100 sqft suite (2) wedding budget was $140k

Anyway, I'll be pouring a glass soon. Test purposes only right?

Thanks again for all the replies and recommendations for me to try.
tu ag
3:54p, 5/3/24
In reply to RC_57
It is still a nice allocated bourbon and a favorite of some folks.
Plus, at a resort, they would sale it for $100+ a bottle.
AgHawkeye
3:54p, 5/3/24
I think Eagle Rare recently changed the labeling to make the 10 year age statement much more prominent. I had a couple of different people be like "hey I found a 10 year Eagle Rare" and I had to break to them all Eagle Rare is aged 10 years (except of course the stuff I will never see).
wmitchell
3:55p, 5/3/24
In reply to RC_57
RC_57 said:

Yes, thanks for the replies

As the reason why I was thinking it might not have been the 10yr is because (1) we were drinking it in the grooms 1,100 sqft suite (2) wedding budget was $140k

Anyway, I'll be pouring a glass soon. Test purposes only right?

Thanks again for all the replies and recommendations for me to try.

Double Eagle very rare is 6-9k secondary. 2k MSRP for the bottle. If you drank that, consider yourself a lucky man!
BrokeAssAggie
3:58p, 5/3/24
In reply to wmitchell
Guess it could've been ER17. Those aren't too crazy on secondary and would be a nice pre wedding bottle
KDubAg
4:13p, 5/3/24
In reply to RC_57
RC_57 said:

Thanks

There's a place near me that may have it for $50. In SW Houston..
wmitchell
4:19p, 5/3/24
In reply to BrokeAssAggie
BrokeAssAggie said:

Guess it could've been ER17. Those aren't too crazy on secondary and would be a nice pre wedding bottle

True. $1100ish
ryeguy
4:36p, 5/3/24
Tell me where to get an ER17 for 1100 and I will buy all of them.
rca21978
4:46p, 5/3/24
Picked this up this afternoon - looked good. Anyone tried it? Comments?
Tom Cardy
4:47p, 5/3/24
In reply to ryeguy
ryeguy said:

Tell me where to get an ER17 for 1100 and I will buy all of them.

was just about to say this
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1116 of 1142
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off