Whats in your wine cellar?
1,297,382 Views | 10593 Replies
cecil77
6:11p, 4/15/24
In reply to aggiejumper
We still have the Dom bottle from our wedding reception (one mom followed us around with it in hand). So coming up on 37 years...
EclipseAg
8:10a, 4/17/24
Per our earlier discussion of cab franc, wine.com has four remaining bottles of Lang & Reed's 2021 cab franc available for purchase.
Objective Aggie
12:06p, 4/17/24
Started yesterday with a little Perrier Jouet (per the Texags connoisseurs' consensus).

Onto the Mansion where we enjoyed a half bottle of Cakebread Chardonnay because (1) uhh, pace yourself and (2) sentimentality as this was the first real Chardonnay I ever had back in the 90s.

The Ritz then kept pouring their house branded champagne (I swear someone told me it's from Rothschild but things started to blur together).

Dinner with The Mascot at The Knife restaurant.

Amazing day. Amazing wine to celebrate. But more importantly an amazing woman.

QBCade
12:43p, 4/17/24
In reply to Objective Aggie
Objective Aggie said:

Started yesterday with a little Perrier Jouet (per the Texags connoisseurs' consensus).

Onto the Mansion where we enjoyed a half bottle of Cakebread Chardonnay because (1) uhh, pace yourself and (2) sentimentality as this was the first real Chardonnay I ever had back in the 90s.

The Ritz then kept pouring their house branded champagne (I swear someone told me it's from Rothschild but things started to blur together).

Dinner with The Mascot at The Knife restaurant.

Amazing day. Amazing wine to celebrate. But more importantly an amazing woman.

Excellent & congrats!
WestUAg
1:02p, 4/17/24
Congratulations Objectice, you guys look great! And lots of great food and wine to commemorate the special day!
ATL Aggie
2:20p, 4/17/24
Congrats!

How was the Mascot? What vintage is that, I cant quite make it out?
Jock 07
11:13p, 4/17/24
Found this while looking for beer today at one of my local spots. This winery was close to me when I lived on the central coast recently but never made it to the winery before I left. It was 1/2 off so I grabbed it. Wouldn't call myself an aficionado by any means but I think it's pretty solid.
Chipotlemonger
11:27p, 4/17/24
Congratulations
QBCade
11:33p, 4/17/24
Happy Wed. Met a friend that is also a wine snob

'97 and '01 are the best Maya I've had.

Frankly, the Backus wasn't far behind either.
Chipotlemonger
11:30p, 4/19/24
This is a nice St Emilion. Get a fair amount of tomato leaf on the nose and palate, and I get a little bit of green pepper on it as well. A softer wine with streamlined tannins.

BSD
5:54p, 4/20/24
After 5 weeks, it finally arrived. Well, it actually arrived about 11 days ago but they sent it in the wrong venting configuration so it had to go back to be modified. I'm going to let it sit overnight and then install tomorrow.

HTownAg98
8:53p, 4/20/24
In reply to BSD
The dog looks concerned.
BSD
10:13a, 4/21/24
In reply to HTownAg98
HTownAg98 said:

The dog looks concerned.

Our delivery guys give her treats so she may be searching for more. Very food motivated dog. Runs in the family.
bularry
3:24p, 4/22/24
In reply to Jock 07
Jock 07 said:

Found this while looking for beer today at one of my local spots. This winery was close to me when I lived on the central coast recently but never made it to the winery before I left. It was 1/2 off so I grabbed it. Wouldn't call myself an aficionado by any means but I think it's pretty solid.

they make a good and consistent quality pinot. It is a burly, richer style, but well made from good vineyard sources.
QBCade
6:46p, 4/27/24
Happy Sat all.

Daytona22
9:12p, 4/27/24
In reply to QBCade
Arietta is fantastic
WestUAg
11:25p, 4/27/24
Celebrating my wife's birthday in Vegas tonight!! Great bottles.
WestUAg
11:26p, 4/27/24
Not pictured Ruinart rose. Also delicious
QBCade
11:41p, 4/27/24
In reply to WestUAg
How was they Phelps Eisele? Eisele Cab is one of my favs.
Chipotlemonger
12:06a, 4/28/24
In reply to WestUAg
Cheers to y'all.

I'm on an Anderson Valley kick this week. Long Meadow Ranch rose and Handley Pinot over the last few days.

The Long Meadow Ranch rose has a definite savory component to it. When the wine opens up it is quite nice and a change of pace from the prototypical rose of Pinot noir. The Handley is made more for people that like the "forest floor" aspect of Pinots when they get it, along with more subtle fruit.
WestUAg
2:43a, 4/28/24
In reply to QBCade
Still had a lot of fruit left and plenty of acid. Plenty of years left ahead of it
BSD
7:18a, 4/28/24
In reply to WestUAg
WestUAg said:

Happy birthday to Mrs. West U!!! Y'all have fun out there.
BSD
7:19a, 4/28/24
My great friend and old business partner tied the knot last night in Mexico so we took a bottle down to celebrate with them.

BigAg95
1:56p, 4/28/24
Looks like you guys all had some nice bottles this weekend!

We decided to get into some Syrahs last night. We started with a 2019 Myriad Las Madres syrah. I really enjoy that wine young, but it seems to just dull with age rather than get better. It was still enjoyable, but the over the top fresh fruit flavors were pretty much gone and there wasn't much there in its place, and not much acidity. I suppose it could just be in a "dumb" phase, but this one is better than the 2017 and 2018 versions I've had in the past year, so to me a steady decline seems to be a trend across vintages of this wine.

For our second bottle, we opened a 2016 Rotie Cellars Syrah, and it was amazing. Lots of fruit up front,but balanced by some earthy notes and savory black olive, very well integrated tannins for a more viscous mouthfeel, nice acidity and a long finish. I wish I had more of that one!
bularry
10:40a, 4/29/24
In reply to BSD
BSD said:

WestUAg said:

Happy birthday to Mrs. West U!!! Y'all have fun out there.
Happy birthday and those are Great bottles!
Orozco05
11:08a, 4/29/24
In reply to WestUAg
WestUAg said:

Very cool!
htxag09
1:27p, 5/1/24
Realm is coming back to Houston for their event at the Post Oak September 5....

A cool $350 per person....

https://www.realmcellars.com/experience/postoak2024
BSD
1:35p, 5/1/24
In reply to htxag09
I doubt I'll be going at that price. It's a shame, too, because I'll miss Cecil. I know he's chomping at the bit to get there!
htxag09
1:44p, 5/1/24
In reply to BSD
BSD said:

I doubt I'll be going at that price. It's a shame, too, because I'll miss Cecil. I know he's chomping at the bit to get there!
htxag09
1:45p, 5/1/24
And, yeah, my wife really enjoys wine and these events as well. So am I spending $700 to go to this....doubt it.
cecil77
1:56p, 5/1/24
Wow. Just looked at all the promotions they're doing and the prices involved.

My guess is that wine sales are really down and they're doing all they can to preserve/generate revenue.

As Roy's Gazette article discusses in detail, the direction Napa prices are heading is unsustainable.

And it's getting really bad for the small guys...

Was California's Wine Revolution Just a Mirage?
BSD
1:56p, 5/1/24
What was the price of the last Realm tasting event? $100? $150? It was something like that. So $350 for the 2022 vintage? Nope. Hell, I'm not really buying much of that vintage anyways. My wallet and cellar space will thank me in the long run.
QBCade
2:19p, 5/1/24
Yeah, I've seen the same 'offerings' here. Always massively overpriced.
ATL Aggie
2:30p, 5/1/24
Dinner last night at Bern's Steakhouse in Tampa. If you haven't been, they have the most impressive wine list that I have ever seen and will give you a tour of the cellar if you ask.

htxag09
2:34p, 5/1/24
In reply to ATL Aggie
Agreed. Awesome place. My aunt and uncle treated us there a few years ago. They live walking distance from there.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 301 of 303
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings