***************COCKTAILS****************
152,086 Views | 1163 Replies
SpiderDude
10:51a, 1/27/22
In reply to txaggie05
Hell yeah!!! Jungle Bird one of my all time faves!!!
Two Down
10:56a, 1/27/22
In reply to SpiderDude
Where are you picking up the Ancho Reyes? I haven't been able to find in Texas.
txaggie05
8:35p, 1/27/22
In reply to SpiderDude
Cheers!
txaggie05
9:42p, 1/27/22
In reply to Two Down
Looks like Total Wine carries it
Two Down
9:44p, 1/27/22
In reply to txaggie05
Awesome I'll check it out
Streetfighter 02
4:57p, 1/28/22
In reply to txaggie05
Looks great. My go to is the Jet Pilot!
txaggie05
5:53p, 1/28/22
In reply to Streetfighter 02
It's on my to do list. Need to acquire a few more ingredients
mazag08
10:53p, 1/30/22
I need recs guys..

Wife loves my Manhatten. I have multiple versions where I substitute out a small bit of sweet vermouth and substitute in different fruit or sweet liquers. She definitely likes it heavy with sweet vermouth.

I love bitter cocktails so I use a lot of Campari, aperol, fernet branca, and bitters. Wife isn't crazy about it, but if mixed right likes cocktails with those as a change of pace.

She's not crazy about gin or peated scotch. I do a couple amazing variations of whiskey sours, but she much prefers Manhattens.

I've done the Vieux Carre, multiple cocktails with absinthe, done variations that have Benedictine, done grand marnier, done apple brandy, etc. Don't want to spend the money on the different Chartreuse styles.

I just need a bad ass cocktail that I haven't thought of. Something rich and sweet but not overly sweet. Maybe a tad bitter.
G Martin 87
5:21a, 1/31/22
In reply to mazag08
I've been making Black Manhattans and Maple Manhattans lately. For the Black, substitute amaro for the vermouth, and maybe use good orange bitters (Regan's is my favorite.) I've been using Monte Amaro, which is made with Piedmont peppermint. If she likes minty flavors, that's worth a taste. Other brands of Amaro will have different flavor profiles.

But I think Maple Manhattans are the best. Use grade A Canadian Maple syrup for the richest taste. (Mrs Butterworths won't do.)

2 oz bourbon (something with vanilla or cinnamon notes works well)
1/2 oz sweet vermouth
1/2 oz maple syrup
1 dash Angostura

Also, have you tried subbing Domaine de Canton for triple sec yet? That gives a great new spin on margaritas and cosmos.

My wife was not a gin fan either. Then I made her a Greyhound variation with Drunshambo gunpowder tea gin (which goes great with grapefruit flavors), my own homemade limoncello, a few dashes of grapefruit bitters, and topped off with Fresca. Also, have you served her a cucumber martini with Hendricks?
txag2008
5:36p, 1/31/22
In reply to SpiderDude
SpiderDude said:

Flying Crowbar said:

Made that Ancho Reyes version of the margarita tonight. Awesome.

Pretty much make all my Ritas with Ancho Reyes now. What's not to love?!
Do yall use the regular Ancho Reyes or the Verde (green) bottle?
lazuras_dc
6:38p, 1/31/22
In reply to G Martin 87
Black Manhattan >>> Regular Manhattan. Change my mind
SpiderDude
2:00p, 2/1/22
In reply to txag2008
Regular though I'm tempted to try the green.
SpiderDude
2:07p, 2/1/22
In reply to mazag08
mazag08 said:

I need recs guys..

Wife loves my Manhatten. I have multiple versions where I substitute out a small bit of sweet vermouth and substitute in different fruit or sweet liquers. She definitely likes it heavy with sweet vermouth.

I love bitter cocktails so I use a lot of Campari, aperol, fernet branca, and bitters. Wife isn't crazy about it, but if mixed right likes cocktails with those as a change of pace.

She's not crazy about gin or peated scotch. I do a couple amazing variations of whiskey sours, but she much prefers Manhattens.

I've done the Vieux Carre, multiple cocktails with absinthe, done variations that have Benedictine, done grand marnier, done apple brandy, etc. Don't want to spend the money on the different Chartreuse styles.

I just need a bad ass cocktail that I haven't thought of. Something rich and sweet but not overly sweet. Maybe a tad bitter.

Try these! I'm assuming you tried her on a Sazerac?!

https://cocktailcatalog.tumblr.com/post/168467132132/mahogany-manhattan

https://stevethebartender.com.au/little-italy-cocktail-recipe-cynar-manhattan/
mazag08
7:47p, 2/1/22
Love the recs, but it looks like I need to go ingredient shopping to make them.
mazag08
9:43p, 2/1/22
I ended up making the wife a classic Manhatten, except I substituted the vermouth for Mathilde Framboise with a dash of Benedictine.

And for myself.. man.. I'm on a Fernet Branca kick.

Tried..

2 oz cognac
0.5 oz Benedictine
0.25 oz Ferber Branca
Tiny squeeze of lemon

Delicious.

And Black Manhatten is next on my list.
Flying Crowbar
5:06p, 2/2/22
In reply to SpiderDude
Regular here, too.
txaggie05
9:00p, 2/2/22
Since winter is coming/has arrived I decided a tiki drink was in order. Had one at Ida Claire here in SA a few weeks ago that I enjoyed so made my own riff on that. Kept the proportions basic for the first try. Turned out pretty good.

We'll call it…Tiki Anti-Weather
2 oz Light Rum (used Plantation 3 Stars)
.5 oz lime juice
.5 oz pineapple juice
.5 oz orange juice
.5 oz Velvet Falernum
.5 oz Demerara simple
2 dashes Paychaud bitters

Sazerac
9:37p, 2/2/22
Is there an app or site where I can enter a couple ingredients and get some recipes?

St Germaine
gin

And give me some options? Always thought that would be nice to have.
SpiderDude
9:17a, 2/5/22
In reply to Sazerac
Sazerac said:

Is there an app or site where I can enter a couple ingredients and get some recipes?

St Germaine
gin

Steve The Bartender App "Shake & Strain" is great imo. Here's the result of gave me for those 2 ingredients.
Sazerac
9:34a, 2/5/22
Thanks
Sazerac
9:37a, 2/5/22
Not finding it in apple AppStore
Flying Crowbar
7:00p, 2/5/22
In reply to Sazerac
Me either. Is it available for iOS?

Guess not.
https://shakeandstraincocktails.com/#boxzilla-1042
mazag08
5:05p, 2/6/22
In reply to Sazerac
Sazerac said:

St Germaine
gin

I downloaded an app called mixel. Paid the one time fee to unlock all recipes. You can stock up your bar on there and then it will show you recipes you can make based on what you have in stock. Or you can merely search for an ingredient and see all drinks it's used in. Can also search for recipes. I believe there are reviews too.

I use it every day.

Cromagnum
7:01p, 2/6/22
Need some hot drink ideas besides a Hot Toddy or a spiked apple cider. Whatcha got?
HTownAg98
7:14p, 2/6/22
Buttered rum?
I make a batch of the butter shots and just keep them in the freezer.
https://www.seriouseats.com/hot-buttered-rum-recipe
SpiderDude
7:23p, 2/6/22
In reply to Flying Crowbar
Flying Crowbar said:

Me either. Is it available for iOS?

Guess not.
https://shakeandstraincocktails.com/#boxzilla-1042

Well dang... that sucks!
G Martin 87
8:44p, 2/6/22
In reply to Cromagnum
Cromagnum said:

Need some hot drink ideas besides a Hot Toddy or a spiked apple cider. Whatcha got?
This is the hot buttered rum recipe I use. Foolproof and delicious.

1 oz dark Jamaican rum
1 oz dark creme de cacao
4 oz hot water
1 butter pat

Credit: This recipe is from The Pub & Prow Restaurant, Chicago, about 1950, and adapted by Beachbum Berry.

I use Kraken 94 proof, but my guess is that Appleton is probably closer to what Beachbum Berry has in mind.
G Martin 87
8:47p, 2/6/22
Just tried this Black Manhattan variation. Success!

2 oz Sugarfield bourbon
1/2 oz Amaro Monte
1/2 oz agave nectar
2 dashes Regan's orange bitters
2 dashes Fee Brothers Aztec chocolate bitters
Cromagnum
9:07p, 2/6/22
In reply to HTownAg98
HTownAg98 said:

Buttered rum?
I make a batch of the butter shots and just keep them in the freezer.
https://www.seriouseats.com/hot-buttered-rum-recipe

I like butter, but don't care too much for these. Wife can't have dairy at all, so that's out for her.
mazag08
4:48p, 2/14/22
Had an italian Manhatten

2 oz bourbon
0.5 oz Disaronno
0.5 oz sweet vermouth (or dry.. the amaretto adds a good sweetness already)
2-3 dashes bitters.
Orange or lemon zest.
lazuras_dc
7:53p, 2/14/22
In reply to mazag08
That's a great idea for an app.
Sazerac
4:20p, 2/15/22
I made a bunch of The Last Word (equal parts Gin, Chartreuse, Luxardo, Lime) last week for the street, and in doing so I was reading the history and other drinks of the similar "4 equal portions" recipes (Naked and Famous, Paper Plane, etc).

I decided to try something myself....it didn't sound great....but everyone really like it. Would be a great spring/summer drink over ice, though we had them up.

Bourbon, Aperol, St Germain, Lemon
mazag08
1:44p, 2/19/22
Is there a substitute for Green Chartreuse? That stuff is incredibly expensive for a cocktail ingredient.
SpiderDude
6:28p, 2/19/22
In reply to Sazerac
Sazerac said:

I made a bunch of The Last Word (equal parts Gin, Chartreuse, Luxardo, Lime) last week for the street, and in doing so I was reading the history and other drinks of the similar "4 equal portions" recipes (Naked and Famous, Paper Plane, etc).

I decided to try something myself....it didn't sound great....but everyone really like it. Would be a great spring/summer drink over ice, though we had them up.

Bourbon, Aperol, St Germain, Lemon

I like it... but St. Germain goes a long way! Did it not overpower with Elderflower?!
Sazerac
10:12p, 2/19/22
In reply to SpiderDude
The Aperol balances it out IMO
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 12 of 34
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >