agfan2013
11:42a, 12/4/21
In reply to JCRiley09
Splitting hairs at this point but "only 5 people here now" was posted at 8:19am
agfan2013
11:43a, 12/4/21
In reply to cecil77
cecil77 said:

Of course I don't understand how anybody could stand in line for brisket much less than hours long line. There's nothing I will wait in a line like that for

Then you in the wrong thread partner.
Saxsoon
11:45a, 12/4/21
There were still over 100 people in line about an hour before opening I should add
Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2012
cecil77
11:45a, 12/4/21
In reply to agfan2013
agfan2013 said:

cecil77 said:

Of course I don't understand how anybody could stand in line for brisket much less than hours long line. There's nothing I will wait in a line like that for

clearly, but I repeat I won't stand in line with that long for anything on the planet
agfan2013
11:48a, 12/4/21
In reply to Saxsoon
Saxsoon said:

There were still over 100 people in line about an hour before opening I should add

Makes much more sense for their #1 status. But all we initially had to go off of was your first post saying only 5 people at almost 8:30, I still maintain that surprises me a little bit but with the holidays coming up does make more sense.
Saxsoon
11:51a, 12/4/21
I did mention it in a follow up post but was a little buried
Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2012
agcrock2005
9:55p, 12/4/21
In reply to cecil77
cecil77 said:

agfan2013 said:

cecil77 said:

clearly, but I repeat I won't stand in line with that long for anything on the planet

Does it make you feel better saying it twice?
cecil77
10:24p, 12/4/21
In reply to agcrock2005
No better than it makes you feel pointing it out.

And FWIW talked to a friend tonight who had a 5* place in the BBQ Bible (it's no longer open).

He won't stand in lines like that either.
agcrock2005
10:28p, 12/4/21
In reply to cecil77
cecil77 said:

No better than it makes you feel pointing it out.

And FWIW talked to a friend tonight who had a 5* place in the BBQ Bible (it's no longer open).

He won't stand in lines like that either.

That's an incredible story...please tell me another. What else does your friend that had a good bbq business but failed to adapt and went out of business think about long lines?
cecil77
6:50a, 12/5/21
In reply to agcrock2005
C'mon, why the vitriole?

Sisterdale BBQ. They were only open every other weekend. They'd sell out in a few hours each day they were open. It was more of a hobby for two guys that had won lots of competitions and decided to BBQ in just one place. They were very successful for several years. One partner had a health issue that necessitated closing the business.

Maybe it's an age thing. The only thing I've ever waited in a long line for is Aggie football tickets in the 70s. Never for a phone, a movie, food nor anything else. If it's something you enjoy, knock yourself out - everyone doesn't have to be the same.

I just find using the length of lines as a necessary metric for how good a bbq place is to be curious.

Quinn
7:29a, 12/5/21
Should we join the wine thread and talk about how crazy it is to pay more than $20 for a bottle of wine?
JCRiley09
7:56a, 12/5/21
When was the last time someone hit up Interstellar? They were easily the most controversial pick of the top 10. Is there still a line? Has the shine worn off?
jah003
8:04a, 12/5/21
In reply to JCRiley09
JCRiley09 said:

When was the last time someone hit up Interstellar? They were easily the most controversial pick of the top 10. Is there still a line? Has the shine worn off?

Still a line when I drove by yesterday at 1.

Used to go monthly, but haven't been since the rankings came out. I'll probably venture over around Christmas.
AggieFabricator
9:01a, 12/5/21
In reply to JCRiley09
Don't know about interstellar, but I was able to
Sneak into Leroy & Lewis the other day for a late lunch while picking up materials, only two folks in line. I had the frito pie, it was excellent. Chili lacked beans, but was still extremely strong haha. Wasn't able to catch beefcheekz, but one of his fellow co workers recognized my hat and came and out and gave me a "Geaux Tigers" which is funny. If anyone wants a cool spot to take the wife (especially if yours is fed up with bbq like mine) Cosmic Coffee is a badass spot, it houses some other food trucks besides Leroy & Lewis, and they make some great cocktails, and it's dog friendly. I'd put the L&L burger up against any burger out there. It's great too.

TejasAg
12:08p, 12/5/21
In reply to JCRiley09
Have some buddies coming to town next weekend so I think we're going to attempt to go to interstellar. I haven't been back since the #2 ranking, and the last time I went they were to go or patio seating only.
Speaking of lines, I went to Louie Mueller on Saturday. It was only 6 deep when doors opened, but it did look like it picked up a bit on my way out. Was just surprised it was that small on a Saturday morning.
cecil77
8:38a, 12/6/21
In reply to Quinn
Quinn said:

Should we join the wine thread and talk about how crazy it is to pay more than $20 for a bottle of wine?
Yes! Please do. All wine discussion is fun, and price point is certainly one of those. We tend to discuss QPR more, but it's all the same.

And in point of fact, price (as a metric) may be similar to line length for BBQ, since BBQ price doesn't vary as much as a bottle of wine price, so one could argue that people are "spending their time" for quality much in the same way that wine people spend their money.

So how about you wait in line six hours for good BBQ, meet up with me and I'll bring a $200 bottle of wine?

jja79
9:58a, 12/6/21
In reply to cecil77
cecil77 said:

agfan2013 said:

cecil77 said:

I've spent all day in the parking lot at Kyle Field waiting for a football game many times. The best part of a lot of those days was the hours in the parking lot. Waiting for good BBQ can be a lot like tailgating if you do it right.
Quinn
10:03a, 12/6/21
In reply to cecil77
Appreciate the fair response. Regarding the lines, I don't necessarily enjoy the lines (though I can see how some people make a tailgate out of it and spend time with their friends and family), but it is part of the deal for a lot of high end places. To me, and I think most on this thread, there truly is a big difference between average barbecue (especially brisket) and the top places. Great brisket is on a completely different level from your standard offering. I'm sure that you feel the same way about wine (as I've poked around that thread and seen the enthusiasm people hold for wine and the entire experience) and what it's like to enjoy a great bottle.
cecil77
11:16a, 12/6/21
In reply to Quinn
In 1976 A&M went to a semi-lottery for football tickets. Prior to that it was first come/first served. Even though a Soph in 75, my tickets were always front row of the 2nd Deck, 50 yard line. The dorm and a line standing organization and you paid for the more valuable tickets with your time.

So, a serious question. If you're at the back of a 5 hour line for BBQ, how much would you pay the guy in front for his spot? 5X? 10X. Or put another way if there were two lines, one priced 10x the other, but it was very short, would you pay the extra for your time?
inconvenient truth
11:35a, 12/6/21
In reply to cecil77
Dude we get it, you're above standing in a line for top tier bbq and you feel superior to those who do. Why are you even here if you're perfectly fine eating dickeys or bill miller bbq? Does it make you feel better to continually state how you're above standing in line with the unwashed masses?
cecil77
11:45a, 12/6/21
In reply to inconvenient truth
inconvenient truth said:

Dude we get it, you're above standing in a line for top tier bbq and you feel superior to those who do. Why are you even here if you're perfectly fine eating dickeys or bill miller bbq? Does it make you feel better to continually state how you're above standing in line with the unwashed masses?
If you'll read my last couple of posts... Unsure what inspired this response.

And FWIW I don't eat at either of those places.

agcrock2005
11:45a, 12/6/21
In reply to cecil77
cecil77 said:

inconvenient truth said:

If you'll read my last couple of posts... Unsure what inspired this response.

Just go away. You're ruining a whole thread.
cecil77
11:48a, 12/6/21
Wow, OK. 20 years on texags and other than PHS these kinds of posts responses are new for me.

Look, I wrote that I understand that you pay for quality with time and equated it to expensive wine. How is that insulting or ruining a thread.

And the offer stands, you wait in line for the BBQ, afterwards I'll bring expensive wine - best of both worlds!
Quinn
11:55a, 12/6/21
In reply to cecil77
cecil77 said:

In 1976 A&M went to a semi-lottery for football tickets. Prior to that it was first come/first served. Even though a Soph in 75, my tickets were always front row of the 2nd Deck, 50 yard line. The dorm and a line standing organization and you paid for the more valuable tickets with your time.

So, a serious question. If you're at the back of a 5 hour line for BBQ, how much would you pay the guy in front for his spot? 5X? 10X. Or put another way if there were two lines, one priced 10x the other, but it was very short, would you pay the extra for your time?

In 2007 A&M went to a points/lottery for basketball tickets. Prior to that it was first come/first served. Even though I was a Frosh in 2007, I had to buy tickets to the tsip game after I lost my backpack/wallet/keys in the ticket pull - tunnel fiasco. Anyways, where was i....

Personally, I've never done the 5 hour line thing. I've waited an hour or so at plenty of places, but haven't been to Snow's. I would probably do it there once, because it's a journey to a barbecue mecca. For Franklin's, I have pre-ordered a couple times. I wouldn't pay 5x or 10x for a shorter line or anything like that. Do I wish great barbecue could be served quicker and more efficiently? Of course. But it's a couple times a year experience for me, not something that I do every weekend.
RED AG 98
11:57a, 12/6/21
Not a top 50 place by any means but it's what I ate this weekend and immensely better than the above posts...

Crimson Creek BBQ, a new-ish trailer out by the now defunct Nutty Brown, ~5 miles west of Oak Hill on 290W.

Pork belly burnt ends were tremendous.
Pulled pork and sausage were nice. I prefer a bit more snap on the sausage.
Smoked Queso Mac and Cheese was glorious.
They were out of spare ribs so I didn't get to sample those.

No beef on the menu is an interesting choice for Texas but otherwise this was pretty solid and I'd give it a high B+. Amazing how much the bbq game has changed the last 25 years where random trailers and spots you never heard of produce better 'cue than >80% of what I went to growing up.

MAROON
3:42p, 12/7/21
went back to Truth today at 12:30. Line was very short - maybe 15 minute wait. Had the ribs with sprouts and creamed spinach.

Ribs were fantastic. They were also giving away bites of brisket ends while at the counter in line. Damn their brisket is awesome.

Wanted to try the brisket boudin but they wont do that as part of a two meat plate. Will go back next time and get the boudin to go. Great place
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
TXAG 05
8:10p, 12/8/21
Got the brisket boudin about a year ago, not that great.
Beef Cheek
1:47p, 12/12/21
Not on the list, but stopped by Chris McGhee's Briscuits (at Radio Coffee) today and the brisket and jelly biscuit is phenomenal
LawHall88
6:11p, 12/12/21
In reply to Beef Cheek
Beef Cheek said:

Not on the list, but stopped by Chris McGhee's Briscuits (at Radio Coffee) today and the brisket and jelly biscuit is phenomenal

It made Texas Monthly's "Favorite BBQ Bites:"
Quote:

Brisket and Jelly Biscuit

Briscuits, Austin

Be open-minded about what brisket can provide at the brunching hour at this Austin food truck. Yes, smoked brisket and strawberry jelly go together just fine, especially when the jelly is made from strawberries smoked right beside the beautiful briskets used in this simple sandwich. The fluffy biscuit is also scratch-made from a finely honed recipe.
https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/my-favorite-barbecue-bites-of-2021/

And a review of the food truck:
https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/briscuits-austin-review/
LawHall88
4:57p, 12/16/21
Beef Cheek
5:02p, 12/16/21
Texas BBQ royalty, RIP
agcrock2005
5:07p, 12/16/21
In reply to LawHall88
Just came here to share that. Didn't know he was up in DFW working at Hutchins. That guy had some demons for sure. Saw picture of him recently and he was bones. Wonder if he got sick or if it was just the booze.
BurnetAggie99
5:50p, 12/16/21
That stinks and very tragic. I got to know John and I'm heart broken when I heard the news
Cowboy Curtis
8:03p, 12/16/21
Here. He a was a unique man and an excellent cook. Very sorry to hear the news...
CDub06
8:45a, 12/29/21
Any of y'all been to Burnt Bean Co recently? Curious about the lines right now. Want to do lunch there tomorrow at 11AM and wondering how early we have to get there to be first in line.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 12 of 91
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings