Texas Monthly 2021 Top 50 BBQ Joints
444,726 Views | 3171 Replies
agfan2013
5:12p, 10/16/21

Hit 1775 on Friday, it'll be a crime if they aren't on the top 50 list next week. So good.
Koldus131
9:43p, 10/16/21
In reply to Beef Cheek
Beef Cheek said:

DFW Ags should make their way to Goldee's today or tomorrow… that line about to get a lot longer.
Get some more info? I'm heading there tomorrow morning to enjoy it one last time for a while.
Beef Cheek
10:21p, 10/16/21
I can't say much, but you're wise for going tomorrow.

The new list is… Golden
Beef Cheek
9:32a, 10/17/21
Here is my final guess for the new Top 10:

1. Goldee's
2. Interstellar
3. Truth
4. Burnt Bean
5. Leroy and Lewis
6. Cattleack
7. Franklin
8. Evie Mae's
9. Snow's
10. Panther City
Koldus131
10:54a, 10/17/21
I haven't seen it, but supposedly people deep in the bbq community know some of the list already because the embargoed story was sent to media outlets ahead of the release on Monday and someone took a picture not realizing what a big deal it was and put it on social media.
JCRiley09
11:19a, 10/17/21
So can we start the debate on how Interstellar has great BBQ but doesn't belong in the top 2?

Truth should be #1. Burnt Bean hasn't been open long enough to make top 10.

The rumors seem legit.
Koldus131
11:40a, 10/17/21
It was a great great morning. Showed up at Goldee's at 10 and got to visit with all of the owners. (Minus Dylan) for about 30 minutes, plus Esaul and Dustin from 2M were there and got to visit with them as well.

I've been to Goldee's 3x before but all when it was To-Go only, never when you could go inside to the cutting block. This was up there with Burnt Bean as the best BBQ meal I've had in 2021. Still not sure I'd put it as my personal number 1, but you won't find me arguing when the list comes out tomorrow. Great guys.

Beef Cheek
11:44a, 10/17/21
Dusty at 2M is low key the best brisket cook in the state right now.
schmendeler
7:45a, 10/18/21
It's here:

schmendeler
7:48a, 10/18/21
In reply to Beef Cheek
Beef Cheek said:

1. Goldee's
2. Interstellar
3. Truth
4. Burnt Bean
5. Leroy and Lewis
6. Cattleack
7. Franklin
8. Evie Mae's
9. Snow's
10. Panther City

Ok, who do you know?
Boat Shoes
7:58a, 10/18/21
agfan2013
8:00a, 10/18/21
In reply to schmendeler
schmendeler said:

Beef Cheek said:

1. Goldee's
2. Interstellar
3. Truth
4. Burnt Bean
5. Leroy and Lewis
6. Cattleack
7. Franklin
8. Evie Mae's
9. Snow's
10. Panther City

Ok, who do you know?

I've been wondering the same for awhile now, he shows up as a rook out of nowhere posting only on Texas monthly BBQ threads here, username is bbq related, profile says location is Austin and works in "BBQ and hospitality". Stiles switch guys are Aggies right? Spill the beans Mr. new guy.
Koldus131
8:08a, 10/18/21
No Roegel's in the Top 50 is absurd.
Boat Shoes
8:11a, 10/18/21
In reply to Koldus131
Koldus131 said:

I haven't seen it, but supposedly people deep in the bbq community know some of the list already because the embargoed story was sent to media outlets ahead of the release on Monday and someone took a picture not realizing what a big deal it was and put it on social media.

That really sucks if true. The list is published every 4 years and is a huge deal.
chris2010
8:32a, 10/18/21
Anyone know why Dylan isn't listed in the Goldee's write up? Is he still a part of it? I remember chatting with him while he was at Truth in Brenham.
BSD
8:34a, 10/18/21
In reply to Koldus131
Koldus131 said:

No Roegel's in the Top 50 is absurd.

Agreed. Hell, I like it better than Truth on most days.
Koldus131
8:38a, 10/18/21
In reply to chris2010
chris2010 said:

Anyone know why Dylan isn't listed in the Goldee's write up? Is he still a part of it? I remember chatting with him while he was at Truth in Brenham.
He's still a part of it but on what they would all call a "sabbatical". He's been working on a cattle ranch in Colorado near Alamosa for the last year or so learning more about cows. They said when I talked to them yesterday he should be back in a couple weeks but I'm not sure if that's just to visit or back permanently.
Koldus131
8:40a, 10/18/21
Here's the geographical breakdown. I included Beaumont as East Texas which I'm sure some won't agree with but also felt like I couldn't include it as Houston.

DFW - 11
Austin - 8
Houston - 7 (Too low IMO)
San Antonio - 2
Central Texas - 10
East Texas - 3
West Texas - 4
South Texas - 5

I guess you can now make the argument DFW is the BBQ Capital of the world (That's definitely not gonna get people all riled up).
Quinn
8:42a, 10/18/21
Well, I had been meaning to get over to Goldee's for a couple month... guess the line will be just a bit longer when I finally do.
CDub06
8:48a, 10/18/21
Top Ten doesn't surprise me. As mentioned previously, I'd really wanted to get to Goldees and Burnt Bean prior to the list. I just don't travel around Texas as much anymore. 2M had to be just outside the Top Ten.

Distant Relatives, Dayne's, Smoke-A-Holics, Eaker are all new names to me. Granted, I've not been paying as much attention as I used to.

Mimsy's is a new one to me too. And Crockett? Wow - complete surprise. Shame this isn't 6+ years ago when I spent a ton of time in East Texas eating at that region's subpar brand of barbecue.

Glad 1701 made the list. Beaumont FINALLY has some good barbecue in the land of links.

And on the other end of the state - glad Desert Oak and Convenience West are on there out in the desert. Well deserved. Pody's dropped off. Good for the area and TMBBQ was obsessed with them, but not a shocking omission.

Slow Bone has been one of my favorite underappreciated spots. Glad they're on the list.

Really glad Butter's made the list. 1000% better than Smoliks who inexplicably made the last list.

My only favorite that didn't make the list was Heim and that's surprising to me. I've got to guess with the expanded locations, they just didn't keep up consistency. Was hoping Reveille would make it, but not shocked about their omission.

I'm also surprised Bodacious on Mobberly isn't on the list.
AggieDad24
8:54a, 10/18/21
Blood Brothers should DEFINTELY be much higher on the list
Pitter Patter
Koldus131
8:57a, 10/18/21
In reply to CDub06
The brisket at Heim is just not up to par for me when considering its competition in the area. I think it's dropped since they expanded pretty heavily. They are killing it though which is great for them.

With Bodacious on Mobberly, they lost the pitmaster that was there when they were ranked #4 on the last list due to some bad personal stuff, then the guy that took over and kept it going at a high level left a few months ago to start his own thing. Just not sure they have anyone at the helm running the show right now.
schmendeler
9:08a, 10/18/21
Maybe Snow's and Franklin will ease up a bit, now?
Ol Jock 99
9:10a, 10/18/21
It is amazing how many new places are on there. Smokey Joe's might not be "new", but Kris Manning (not yet 30) completely took it over from his dad and Joe ~2 years ago, so it might as well be.

Happy for the Zavala's guys too!
G-Town Cracker
9:23a, 10/18/21
In reply to Koldus131
Koldus131 said:

Here's the geographical breakdown. I included Beaumont as East Texas which I'm sure some won't agree with but also felt like I couldn't include it as Houston.

DFW - 11
Austin - 8
Houston - 7 (Too low IMO)
San Antonio - 2
Central Texas - 10
East Texas - 3
West Texas - 4
South Texas - 5

I guess you can now make the argument DFW is the BBQ Capital of the world (That's definitely not gonna get people all riled up).
Probably more a product of Vaughn living there and being fat and lazy.
Fairview20
9:29a, 10/18/21
I wasn't too familiar with Goldee's other than the occasional picture on Twitter and Matt Pittman doing some videos with one of their owners, but man I had no idea they were barely making it last year. Makes sense given the timeline of their opening (talk about bad luck). Bravo to all those guys barely 18 months later and are now going to be recognized as #1 in the state for the next 4 years. Can't wait to try it some time.
schwack schwack
9:37a, 10/18/21
In reply to CDub06
Mimsy's in Crockett is great and you're right - surprising for this area.

Bodacious on Mobberly's pitmaster, Bryan Bingham, left to start Sunbird in Longview.
agfan2013
9:38a, 10/18/21
In reply to agfan2013
agfan2013 said:

As I said on the 2017 thread, I think B/CS area loses Fargos which has been on the last couple of lists, and Blue Moon, but gains 1775 pit bbq.

Burnt Bean in Seguin will be on it and it wouldnt shock me if its top 10. Great meats of course, but the sides, deserts, and brunch menu he is doing really sets him apart

I think Franklin, Snows, and Truth all remain in the top 10, but there is some shakeups in there.

Well, I was right on everything but 1775 making the list, I've had LJs in Brenham and think they are fairly close but would still put 1775 above it so they must have been close to making it.

Looks like the few of yall speculating on the first few pages about sides and more emphasis being put on meats other than brisket were right. Looking at the top 10 Franklin and Snows are the only places doing just traditional bbq and traditional sides only, everybody else is has some specialty sides/meats/desserts. I guess that's what it takes to separate you from the pack these days.

I'm glad to see Mickelthwait drop out of the top 10, was not really impressed the time I went there.

I need to do a better job of hitting the Houston spots, D/FW is going to be hard for me so I dont anticipate getting to many of those.
Wicked Good Ag
9:46a, 10/18/21
In reply to AggieDad24
MaroonBaboon said:

Are you saying top 10 ??

because everything else is in alphabetical order based upon city/town it is in
Beef Cheek
9:56a, 10/18/21
In reply to agfan2013
agfan2013 said:

schmendeler said:

Beef Cheek said:

1. Goldee's
2. Interstellar
3. Truth
4. Burnt Bean
5. Leroy and Lewis
6. Cattleack
7. Franklin
8. Evie Mae's
9. Snow's
10. Panther City

Ok, who do you know?

I've been wondering the same for awhile now, he shows up as a rook out of nowhere posting only on Texas monthly BBQ threads here, username is bbq related, profile says location is Austin and works in "BBQ and hospitality". Stiles switch guys are Aggies right? Spill the beans Mr. new guy.

Y'all come say howdy on Wednesday, I'll be working the window like the good Ol' days. - Clayton '09

TXAG 05
9:58a, 10/18/21
In reply to AggieDad24
MaroonBaboon said:

No they shouldn't. They are very overrated in my opinion.

Pit Room and Roegels should be on there.
Koldus131
10:00a, 10/18/21
In reply to Beef Cheek
Love this so much
Hincemm
10:05a, 10/18/21
Goldee's is right next to my office, so I'd like to hit them on Friday. Anyone have an idea how early to get there? Will 1045 suffice?
schmendeler
10:06a, 10/18/21
In reply to Beef Cheek
Bad ass! Impressive that you guys are that high on the list working out of a truck!
schmendeler
10:06a, 10/18/21
In reply to Hincemm
Hincemm said:

Goldee's is right next to my office, so I'd like to hit them on Friday. Anyone have an idea how early to get there? Will 1045 suffice?
Lol
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 3 of 91
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off