Texas Monthly 2021 Top 50 BBQ Joints
439,596 Views | 3153 Replies
schmendeler
5:45p, 4/13/23
In reply to Beef Cheek
Beef Cheek said:

Looks at the toast on that bun

The tasteful shading of the patty. Is that a watermark?
Matsui
6:43p, 4/13/23
In reply to Beef Cheek
I live 4 miles from daynes. Can't get enough of it.
Streetfighter 02
6:52p, 4/13/23
In reply to JCRiley09
Best burger in town although JD's across the road is also legit.
Bmac04
10:49p, 4/13/23
Best burger in town
Buzzy
7:33a, 4/14/23

Better than Heim?

Wild West Pimp Style
JCRiley09
9:31a, 4/14/23
In reply to Buzzy
When was your last trip to Heim? IMO, they sacrificed quality for quantity when they expanded to multiple locations.

Heim is good, don't get me wrong, but there's a reason they aren't top 50 anymore.
agcrock2005
9:38a, 4/14/23
In reply to JCRiley09
100% agree.
CaptnCarl
10:46a, 4/14/23
In reply to JCRiley09
And I am okay with that. Their BBQ is still great.

I like knowing I can get in and out there, find a seat, have a few beers and get on with my day.

I love BBQ, but I'm not the kind to spend half my day waiting in line.

Buzzy
10:57a, 4/14/23
In reply to JCRiley09
JCRiley09 said:

When was your last trip to Heim? IMO, they sacrificed quality for quantity when they expanded to multiple locations.

Heim is good, don't get me wrong, but there's a reason they aren't top 50 anymore.
I had to go look, it was April 2021.

I wasn't even aware they were top 50 at one time, I just went to try the burger.
Wild West Pimp Style
JCRiley09
12:02p, 4/14/23
In reply to CaptnCarl
Right there with you! I used to live in Austin and the best part about Stiles Switch (other than Aggie owned) is that you could walk in at any time, wait briefly in a quick line, and get great food.

Now I live closest to the river Heim and it's definitely a good spot to get a similar experience (though I still rate their food good, but below Stiles).
BohunkAg
8:25p, 4/16/23
One of the young Bohunks and I stopped at Schoepf's in Belton on the way home from his baseball tournament today. He is 14 and he can eat. Damn it was good. Have not been there in a long time. This was 1:30 or 2 pm on a Sunday. Brisket was on point. Sausage was the good old Central Texas Czech style. And their sides were among the best I've had. I had some street corn and cheesy potatoes and the boy had potato salad and some brisket Mac and cheese. I'd put Schoepf's up against any of these new joints
Buzzy
8:55p, 4/16/23
In reply to BohunkAg
BohunkAg said:

One of the young Bohunks and I stopped at Schoepf's in Belton on the way home from his baseball tournament today. He is 14 and he can eat. Damn it was good. Have not been there in a long time. This was 1:30 or 2 pm on a Sunday. Brisket was on point. Sausage was the good old Central Texas Czech style. And their sides were among the best I've had. I had some street corn and cheesy potatoes and the boy had potato salad and some brisket Mac and cheese. I'd put Schoepf's up against any of these new joints
Is he going to slick back his hair this year for Halloween and goes as an oily Bohunk?
Wild West Pimp Style
Ol Jock 99
8:36a, 4/17/23
In reply to BohunkAg
Glad to hear they have their game back. They went through a long "meh" period.
Streetfighter 02
8:54a, 4/17/23
Due to time constraints we stopped at Stiles Switch N. Lamar on the way out of town yesterday. I had been years ago and never knew the name. The best two items we had were the flaming Dr. Pepper wings and the brussels sprouts.
BurnetAggie99
1:40p, 4/18/23
Was down around RR 620 headed out towards Lake Travis to field check a work project. Stopped by Jim's SmokeHouse BBQ.

Food truck set up with table and benches to eat your food. Got to say this place is an absolute Gem. Had moist brisket, sausage, baby back ribs. Jicama Coleslaw, Mac & Cheese & beans for the sides. Everything was really damn good. Definitely a spot to check out if you never been and one I will be back too.
AggieLong
2:52p, 4/18/23
Seems like a pretty good deal...

Quote:

NEW TUESDAY NIGHT SPECIAL = PLATTER NIGHT!!!

On Tuesdays from 5pm - 9pm we're offering the Feges Board for $50. It's a BBQ platter with brisket, ribs, turkey, sausage, your choice of 3 sides, and dessert! Easily enough BBQ to feed a family of 4!

https://instagr.am/p/CrJD0JQr0Pz
Streetfighter 02
2:01p, 4/20/23
In reply to Beef Cheek
I had one of these for lunch today. Best burger in town.
BohunkAg
6:20p, 4/20/23
Helberg got an unfriendly visit from the county after being in their location for three years and are going to have to do some emergency renovations to meet code. Weird timing. They are being very open about it. The Helbergs are great folks so please continue to support them.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CrOzqFCOaeN/?igshid=Mzc1MmZhNjY=

https://instagr.am/p/CrN6cdQuSwN
DonaldFDraper
10:28p, 4/25/23
Headed to Lockhart this weekend for the first time in ~15 years.

If you can only eat BBQ at one place - where are you picking?
RED AG 98
10:32p, 4/25/23
In reply to DonaldFDraper
City Market. (In Luling) ;-)

I assume Terry Blacks is open and if so that's where I'd go. Probably Smitty's for me otherwise.
BurnetAggie99
10:54p, 4/25/23
Smitty's or blacks
rolling_ridgeag05
12:24a, 4/26/23
Terry Blacks and it's not even close
Saxsoon
5:18a, 4/26/23
Cattleack last week
tsuag10
8:09a, 4/26/23
Killen's in Pearland yesterday.
I have to admit that I was a bit disappointed with this visit.

Brisket was ok, but nothing special. Ribs were decent. Sides were acceptable.

Nothing bad, just not Top 50 quality in my opinion. I've been before and it was better, but I would probably still have put them in the honorable mentions list.

DiskoTroop
8:19a, 4/26/23
That's my thoughts on Killen's too. I've had better. In Houston. Recently. Not sure I'd put them in top 50 either.
rolling_ridgeag05
9:41a, 4/26/23
In reply to DiskoTroop
Agreed…was there in last month and thought the same. All was ok but not as good as it had been in years past. Think between the 3 locations and other endeavors the quality is getting spread too thin.
DatTallArchitect
11:40a, 4/26/23
In reply to tsuag10
Still looks better than what I had at Lockhart BBQ in Plano.
Koldus131
12:07p, 4/27/23
Went to LeRoy and Lewis today but forgot to take a picture of my phenomenal plate because I was way too excited to eat it, oops. Looked for our guy Beef Cheek but didn't see him. Can't wait to go to the brick and mortar once it's open.
Beef Cheek
4:13p, 4/27/23
In reply to Koldus131
Glad you stopped by! I'll be there tomorrow for dinner service, sorry I missed you.

Was looking at some of the early design pics for the new sport yesterday and also very excited.
Quinn
4:47p, 4/27/23
https://instagram.com/stories/bbqsnob/3090311499930762950?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Looks like the BBQ Snob was making the rounds in BCS.
aggie2812-2
9:14a, 4/29/23
Finally made it to Goldee's and it lived up to what I was thinking it would be. The brisket is top three for me and the sides were just as good. The bread might be the best I've ever had.
AgsWin2011
9:17a, 4/29/23
In reply to aggie2812-2
What time did you get there and about what number in line were you? I've been wanting to go since we moved back to DFW. Looks like Goldees is about 45 minutes from my house.
aggie2812-2
9:40a, 4/29/23
In reply to AgsWin2011
We got there at 10:15 on Friday and we're about 160 in line. Everything was still available. Talked to Jirby (one of the owners) and he said Sundays are the best day to come if you're not wanting to get there early. We waited in line for about 1 1/2 hours so not bad since some people were there about 6am and waited till 11. I would put Burnt Beans in Seguin on the same level as Goldee's. After eating those two almost nothing has come close so far. Me and a buddy try to hit up one of them from the list every two to three weeks.
AgsWin2011
10:03a, 4/29/23
In reply to aggie2812-2
Thanks for the feedback! Didn't realize they were open on Sunday. May try to make it over there in a few weeks when it's a little warmer and the winds aren't so gusty.

My family and I are going to the Ranger Yankees game tonight. Isn't it Hurtado BBQ that has a stand inside the ballpark? I've never had their BBQ. I imagine it's not as good at the ballpark but would love to hear others opinions.
BohunkAg
10:19a, 4/29/23
In reply to aggie2812-2
aggie2812-2 said:

We got there at 10:15 on Friday and we're about 160 in line. Everything was still available. Talked to Jirby (one of the owners) and he said Sundays are the best day to come if you're not wanting to get there early. We waited in line for about 1 1/2 hours so not bad since some people were there about 6am and waited till 11. I would put Burnt Beans in Seguin on the same level as Goldee's. After eating those two almost nothing has come close so far. Me and a buddy try to hit up one of them from the list every two to three weeks.

I don't care how good food is. 160 in line is a no go for me. Maybe I'm just old now
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 55 of 91
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings