Best store-bought Picante or Salsa?
14,327 Views | 109 Replies
tx4guns
10:38p, 2/2/24
In reply to Beckdiesel03
The NB Arlan's doesn't carry Gunslinger. Spec's does.
RightWingConspirator
10:46a, 2/5/24
In reply to JYDog90
Mateo's Hot is good tasting, but I really don't find it hot at all. This is my go-to store bought salsa because I've not found anything better as of yet.
Sugar City Ag
3:46p, 2/11/24
In reply to tx4guns
tx4guns said:

Gunslinger Salsa. It's in Spec's. It's my brand, so if you haven't tried it, give it a shot and support an Aggie owned company. Medium hot, fire roasted goodness. It pretty much beats every salsa on the shelf, especially if you like a little smoke. I'm doing a demo tomorrow at the College Station Spec's from 1-4PM if anyone wants to swing by and try it.
I picked some up yesterday - outstanding!
tx4guns
9:37p, 2/11/24
In reply to Sugar City Ag
Thank you!
William Larue Weller
2:57p, 2/13/24
In reply to Garrelli 5000
Garrelli 5000 said:

I'll give the Gunslinger a shot.

That said my go-to for a few years now is Kylito's.

This stuff has some serious kick to it, very good.
AustinCountyAg
11:46a, 2/14/24
In reply to tx4guns
tx4guns said:

It's in most Spec's with delis. If it's not there ask the manager to bring it in, please.
random question, but do you happen to know a Mark Webb?
Sazerac
12:40p, 2/14/24
No Gunslinger at Specs Memorial / dairy Ashford
tx4guns
9:57p, 2/21/24
In reply to AustinCountyAg
Don't know him.
tx4guns
10:00p, 2/21/24
In reply to Sazerac
You can check store availability here. They let shelves go empty pretty often before stocking up again. I have zero control over which stores carry it or when they restock.

https://specsonline.com/shop/foods/salsas-spreads-sauces/salsa-gunslinger-locked-and-loaded-salsa/
Sazerac
10:03p, 2/21/24
In reply to tx4guns
Cool. I'll make it a point to find.
Making any green sauces?
aTm_bomb
2:18p, 2/23/24
In reply to JYDog90
JYDog90 said:

This but I prefer the Hatch chili salsa they make. Green label I believe.
Thriller
11:59p, 2/23/24
Is there a store option that is comparable to Torchy's Roja Salsa? My family likes many different styles but this is one that most agree upon.
Texker
2:48a, 2/24/24
In reply to tx4guns
tx4guns said:

It's in most Spec's with delis. If it's not there ask the manager to bring it in, please.
Not in Rowlett store last time I checked so will ask next time. Just a note that the homepage needs an edit as there's a text overrun, at least on my screen. Looking forward to trying your salsa. Congrats on your success to date!
showtime
8:22p, 2/27/24
In reply to ftworthag02
ftworthag02 said:

my wife (teacher) was given a bottle of citas salsa that was purchased at central market. I just tried to look it up on central markets site and its not showing up. Here's the company site:
https://www.citassalsa.com/

Very good!

Cita's is great. In the refrigerated section at Central Market. Also carries bulk sizes and a larger variety at the storefront.
Texker
2:07p, 2/28/24
In reply to Texker
Texker said:

tx4guns said:

Not in Rowlett store last time I checked so will ask next time.
Put in a request yesterday at the Rowlett Spec's. Grocery manager hadn't arrived but the cashier was helpful. She wrote down the product name and then I showed her the logo just so she'd have a visual reference. Her response was awesome, something along the lines of "oh man, I'd buy it just because of the logo!"

I'll check back next time I'm there.

EDIT: I'll call the grocery manager in the next day or two.
swampstander
12:40p, 3/3/24
I like this stuff drizzled on my tacos, enchiladas, tamales etc and as an ingredient in my Mexican shrimp cocktail.
tx4guns
9:41p, 3/3/24
In reply to Texker
Thank you! Hope they get it soon!

We will be adding a mild eventually, but we need to be in more stores first. No plans for a green salsa right now, but never say never.
SoTxAg
12:31p, 3/4/24
Author is from north carolina so take it fwiw.

https://www.expressnews.com/food/article/best-salsa-san-antonio-grocery-store-18667065.php
Mustang1
2:15p, 3/5/24
In reply to tx4guns
tx4guns said:

You can check store availability here. They let shelves go empty pretty often before stocking up again. I have zero control over which stores carry it or when they restock.

https://specsonline.com/shop/foods/salsas-spreads-sauces/salsa-gunslinger-locked-and-loaded-salsa/

I cleared out the shelf at Specs First Colony on the lunch hour today. Good stuff!
Sugar City Ag
3:47p, 3/5/24
In reply to Mustang1
Mustang1 said:

tx4guns said:

I cleared out the shelf at Specs First Colony on the lunch hour today. Good stuff!

I left two jars for you there on Saturday!
Broncos
10:12p, 3/9/24
HEB carries Taco Deli salsas.

The Creamy JalapeƱo is delicious. The salsas are also legit.
aggiedata
11:50a, 3/16/24
Found it at the big Specs on Smith Street

Bulldog73
12:52p, 3/16/24
In reply to aggiedata
None up in Waco area yet. A
Texker
1:10p, 3/16/24
Rowlett is useless.
G Martin 87
11:13a, 3/17/24
Another vote for Mateo's, but I will make a point of picking up some Gunslinger on our next trip to Texas.
aggiedata
1:12p, 3/17/24
Gunslinger review: After our fajita fest yesterday, I really like it. It has the fire roasted taste with a hint of heat that doesn't burn.

It's a hit at our house.
Hwy30East
3:46p, 3/20/24
I picked up some HEB Serrano salsa over the weekend since I saw it on sale. Very flavorful with a kick! My daughter and I both liked it, but it really jolted her and she couldn't talk for a couple of minutes. Lol! Would buy again.
SpiderDude
5:50p, 3/20/24

This is now available at HEB...at least in the greater Austin area. It's the best creamy jalapeno that I've every had personally and I was on a mission recently to find that best available version in stores and this is it by a mile!!!
HTownAg98
6:06p, 3/20/24
In reply to SpiderDude
I love that stuff, but it packs a serious punch.
Jock 07
9:47p, 3/22/24
In reply to JYDog90
JYDog90 said:

My choice living in CO not having access to a lot of the brands y'all do back home.
Jock 07
10:35p, 3/22/24
Also, I've come to realize I need to stop buying every salsa coming out of TX that I find here, like this one, cause I'm almost always disappointed.
TXAG 05
10:40p, 3/22/24
In reply to Jock 07
Jock 07 said:

Also, I've come to realize I need to stop buying every salsa coming out of TX that I find here, like this one, cause I'm almost always disappointed.

Looks like you hated it
Jock 07
10:46p, 3/22/24
In reply to TXAG 05
TXAG 05 said:

Jock 07 said:

Looks like you hated it

I mean, I'm not gonna let it go to waste. Starving kids and ***** Plus that's been in the fridge for at least a month. If that was Mateo's probably wouldn't have lasted a week.
AggieBarstool
11:17a, 3/25/24
Rick's Addiction, if I'm looking for salsa.

Tobasco's Chipotle variant if I want hot sauce.
philevans
2:18p, 3/25/24
julios mild green or red salsa, refrigerator.
TXlic GIGM61
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 2 of 4
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off