Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

What temp do you pull the meat?

1,595 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 22 days ago by vanderhoosen
Mark Fairchild
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy, just did a Tri Tip and was very good, not great but very good. I am thinking that I am waiting too late to pull based on internal temp. Took this meat to 120 and then seared for 3 minutes a side. Internal was 121, rested and it gets to 130, not as medium rare as I would wish. Should I be pulling steak, and other beef at 115? Does the thickness of the cut influence the temp at which you pull?

THANKS!
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
StinkyPinky
AG
Mark Fairchild said:

Howdy, just did a Tri Tip and was very good, not great but very good. I am thinking that I am waiting too late to pull based on internal temp. Took this meat to 120 and then seared for 3 minutes a side. Internal was 121, rested and it gets to 130, not as medium rare as I would wish. Should I be pulling steak, and other beef at 115? Does the thickness of the cut influence the temp at which you pull?

THANKS!
If you pulled it at 120 no way it raised the IT only a degree with 6 minutes of high heat sear. I would pull at 110 if going to sear and rest.
DiskoTroop
Also, time for a new thermometer.
cypress-ag
AG
For those that have cooked Tri tip any format to follow? I grabbed one at Costco a few weeks back that was on sale. Cook like a brisket or steak or in between the two?
HTownAg98
Go the steak route. Reverse sear to 110, pull from the heat, and crank the heat on the grill and sear it. That will get it to a consistent medium rare, mostly. The thinner end will be more to medium, but if you have people that like steak cooked to a higher temperature, that isn't a bad thing.
cypress-ag
AG
Thanks !
Troy91
AG
My family really likes this verison
Langley
I've always done the following with great results:

Sear each side directly on a high heat.
Each side 7 minutes

Then reduce heat and cook indirectly 15 minutes each side with the lid closed.

It's about 45 minutes total on the grill.

You're welcome.

vanderhoosen
AG
Wife was headed to Costco last weekend and was wanting fajitas for dinner. I told her to specifically get the loin flap for them. She came back with this 3 lb package of tri-tip meat cut up into strips.

I was a little worried how it would turn out. Trimmed a little fat and silver skin and then beat the heck out of them with the jaccard tenderizer which helped flatten them as well. Did normal marinade for about an hour and grilled hot and fast on the Bullseye.

They came out surprisingly well and had a great flavor. Slightly tougher than a good skirt and you had to pay attention to the grain on cutting because it would change directions on the strips. I don't remember the price but it was definitely cheaper than a whole tri-tip or good skirt steak.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.