Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Phoenix recommendations

1,320 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by schmellba99
GIF Reactor
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking for something casual, nothing stuffy or where I'll have to dress up. No specific food type in mind. I'll be staying close to the airport, so lunch and dinner recommendations with 30 or so minutes from there would be great. Thanks in advance.
Garrelli 5000
AG
I never go to Phoenix and eat anything without starting here.

Seriously though this is my favorite place. Not fancy, line out of the door, wear an apron it is so messy - The Fry Bread House.

My favorite is the ultimate taco with green chili.

Another nationally famous and worth the wait place is Pizzeria Bianco.

Finally, Undertow is a great tiki bar. Reservations are required.
Take the trash out staff.
HTownAg98
Mrs. White's Golden Rule Cafe for some excellent soul food. Cash only.
GIF Reactor
AG
Thanks for the recommendations. I forgot to mention I'll have 2 younger teens and the Mrs. with me. That pizza place and the fry bread spot look good. I found a chicken sandwich place, looks like a small chain, but looks good.
Garrelli 5000
AG
The younger teens will love it or hate it, but Frank Lloyd Wright's home Taliesin West is there to tour. If your kids are potential architects, artists, or engineers - it's a very cool place to visit.

If anything they'll see his influence the rest of their lives in buildings, homes, etc.
Take the trash out staff.
jja79
AG
Staying near the airport. This is a good, casual place for grown ups and teens. Several others including one near ASU and the airport.

https://www.culinarydropout.com/locations/scottsdale-az/
Naveronski
AG
GIF Reactor said:

Looking for something casual, nothing stuffy or where I'll have to dress up. No specific food type in mind. I'll be staying close to the airport, so lunch and dinner recommendations with 30 or so minutes from there would be great. Thanks in advance.
Great timing! I'll be in the area in a couple weeks for work, also staying relatively close to the airport.
TMfrisco
AG
I was there in January and defaulted to Triple D places as well as some other spots I used to visit years ago.

Went to:
Defalco's Italian Grocery - excellent. Inside your 30 minutes
Paradise Valley Burgers - good and near the airport

AJ's Fine Foods - Grocery Store with a tremendous in-house deli/pizzeria/sandwhich/plates - something for everyone in the family and lots of locations.
AggieOO
jja79 said:

Staying near the airport. This is a good, casual place for grown ups and teens. Several others including one near ASU and the airport.

https://www.culinarydropout.com/locations/scottsdale-az/

nothing wrong with culinary dropout, but it is a chain with many locations in multiple states, including texas. Only mentioning in case you are looking for something "local."
jja79
AG
I live in Phoenix and love the place. It can be a hang out, sports bar, casual or more formal depending on where you sit. I think there are 5 here and maybe 7 or 8 others nationwide. If I was going with young teens it would be a fit I think.
AggieOO
like I said, nothing wrong with it. We have one here in Austin. And I've been to the Scottsdale location.
schmellba99
AG
TexAz grill, expat Texans run it and know how to make a CFS. Very Chicken-esque feel to it.

Ray's pizza for a quick pizza that is just awesome.
cottonpatchag
AG
When we lived there, I like Rosita's Place on McDowell for Machaca with green sauce. Across from the Phoenix wedding chapel. Cashier was in a steel cage.
The Pilot
AG
Bario Cafe, get the huitlacoche enchiladas
AgTrip
Downtown you have The Arrogant Butcher.

I also learned that Mel's Diner from the sitcom back in the 70s-80's was there. It's real close to the airport I ate there on a business trip and it was good! We watched that show growing up. I think our waitress even told us "Kiss my grits"

jja79
AG
Taco Boys on Rural Road in Tempe is near the airport and very good
This won't be popular but Arizona tacos blow away Texas tacos.
schmellba99
AG
jja79 said:

Taco Boys on Rural Road in Tempe is near the airport and very good
This won't be popular but Arizona tacos blow away Texas tacos.
You are right. It isn't popular because it is absolutely wrong.
StinkyPinky
AG
+1 of Fry Bread House. One of the best in the city.
If you like Thai, Glai Baan is hands down one of the best Thai restaurants I've ever been too. No one comes close in the PHX area.
Mexican&Asian fusion - Chino Bandido's is crazy good. The fusion might not sound great, but it is exceptional! More of a fast food experience though, so be aware.
jja79
AG
Maybe it's that I moved from the taco wasteland of Houston. I'm going to stick with my unpopular opinion.
JJWAGGIE
AG
I grew up in Phoenix... walking distance from the original location of Chino Bandito. I didn't know they have moved but not terribly surprised. Good food! Hadn't thought about that place in a very long time.

Fry Bread House is a can't miss....

I know this is about food but if you can find time for a visit to the Heard Museum... highly recommended. Kids should enjoy it as well.
schmellba99
AG
jja79 said:

Maybe it's that I moved from the taco wasteland of Houston. I'm going to stick with my unpopular opinion.
If you think Houston is a taco wasteland, I'll just get this out there - your taste buds are absolutely broken and probably beyond repair. I'm sorry for you.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.