chrome / pixel keeps crashing viewing texags on mobile

3,588 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by sts7049
sts7049
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
i posted this in the nerdery as well, putting it here to try to get staff attention since i seem to not be the only one.

i have an issue that has been driving me absolutely nuts for about the last month. i have a pixel 5 with android 13. stock phone, nothing rooted or what not.

somewhere over the last few weeks, every time i open chrome to texags, the browser will freeze up and the phone will say the launcher has crashed, sometimes adaptive connectivity has crashed, etc. it will freeze for about a minute, then finally it goes back to normal and after that i can continue browsing without further crashes. it doesn't do this on any other site, only on texags, and seemingly only when i go to chrome after the app being idle for a bit. at first i thought maybe it was trying to view threads with imbedded instagram or twitter links, but it seems to crash now on just about any thread.

when i open a thread, i will see the phone kind of start to lock up and occasionally i could swipe up and kill chrome and reopen it, and i could continue browsing without further problems. but it seems to be worsening, every time i open texags it wants to crash.

originally i had Nova launcher, so i switched to the stock pixel launcher...no improvement. i've cleared caches, no change. i would rather not switch browsers if i don't have to, i figure it can't be the browser since every single other page i visit has no issue at all. not even an issue in any other app (i found a number of complaints about the launcher with a beta version of 13 and google search bar but that's not really the same problem i'm having).

any advice before i go completely mad??
sts7049
AG
staff?
sts7049
AG
bump. still happening
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
It's not every time for me but random. Will freeze up the whole phone
GarlandAg2012
AG
Came to post the same thing. Will result in a "Pixel Launcher is not responding", "Chrome is not responding", or one other error along the lines of android system not responding. Will lock up the whole phone sometimes requiring a hard reset
sts7049
AG
yup.

sure would be nice if staff saw this!
sts7049
AG
bump
GarlandAg2012
AG
Just happened again for me. Intermittent but very annoying.
sts7049
AG
same. still happening only on texags
sts7049
AG
still happening. staff??
ooshwa
Staff
AG
sts7049 said:

every time i open chrome to texags, the browser will freeze up and the phone will say the launcher has crashed, sometimes adaptive connectivity has crashed, etc. it will freeze for about a minute, then finally it goes back to normal and after that i can continue browsing without further crashes.
I am unable to recreate this issue with similar config (pixel, android 13, chrome 113). Can you clarify a few points:

• when it says the launcher has crashed, chrome stays open, and then finally resumes (after a long freeze)?
  • does this ever happen with a fresh start of chrome? (you've restarted the phone, or killed the app)
  • "kind of start to lock up"... does it fully lock-up while you're scrolling through various pages on texags?
ooshwa
Staff
AG
Are you sure you are on Android 13?

Can you get me the exact versions of android and chrome you are running?
sts7049
AG
ooshwa said:

sts7049 said:

every time i open chrome to texags, the browser will freeze up and the phone will say the launcher has crashed, sometimes adaptive connectivity has crashed, etc. it will freeze for about a minute, then finally it goes back to normal and after that i can continue browsing without further crashes.
I am unable to recreate this issue with similar config (pixel, android 13, chrome 113). Can you clarify a few points:

• when it says the launcher has crashed, chrome stays open, and then finally resumes (after a long freeze)?
  • does this ever happen with a fresh start of chrome? (you've restarted the phone, or killed the app)
  • "kind of start to lock up"... does it fully lock-up while you're scrolling through various pages on texags?

i'm on android 13 and chrome 113 as well

when it says launcher has crashed, it will eventually get to a point also where it crashes chrome as well. once that happens, and i open chrome again, it seems to be fine.

it will happen in a fresh start of chrome as well

if i notice it starting to freeze, sometimes i can avoid everything crashing by switching back home quickly. kill the app, try again, and usually it will work OK (but not always - sometimes i need to just let it all die so it doesnt keep happening).

it seems worst on threads with embedded links (instagram, twitter). i dont see it happen on threads with only text.
sts7049
AG
ooshwa said:

Are you sure you are on Android 13?

Can you get me the exact versions of android and chrome you are running?

sts7049
AG
any updates?
Fenrir
Still crashing
sts7049
AG
bump. after maybe a month or two of not having this issue, it's happening once again
GarlandAg2012
AG
sts7049 said:

bump. after maybe a month or two of not having this issue, it's happening once again

Having the same issues. I think it got worse for me when I got the last security patch a few days ago. Extremely frustrating and seems correlated with when there are a lot of embedded images/links
Diggity
AG
Any update on this Texags?

Your site is unusable for many threads now on android devices.

Seems to be an embedding issue. Crashes not only Chrome but many other background processes.
GarlandAg2012
AG
Diggity said:

Any update on this Texags?

Your site is unusable for many threads now on android devices.

Seems to be an embedding issue. Crashes not only Chrome but many other background processes.
Yes, it has completely locked up my phone pretty consistently when I visit the Houston Board's watch thread. To the point of needing a hard reset of the device...
Diggity
AG
yep. any thread with lots of embedded instagram/twitter posts will cause the crashes

https://texags.com/forums/38/topics/2915543
https://texags.com/forums/38/topics/2759133

are two examples
tlepoC
AG
This is still an issue. Israel threads crash it every time.

I get error logs from the sleep app. Google Play services and other core services crash...various ones depending on instance.
BayAg_14
Diggity
AG
Texags don't GAF about Android apparently
sts7049
AG
tlepoC said:

This is still an issue. Israel threads crash it every time.

I get error logs from the sleep app. Google Play services and other core services crash...various ones depending on instance.

yep. same here.
sts7049
AG
upgraded to android 14 this morning. will see if that makes any difference
tlepoC
AG
Spoiler: It doesn't

TexasAggie_02
AG
Just got a pixel 8, and it still crashes.

It seems to usually happen on pages with a lot of embedded tweets. is it possible to to make it not directly load tweets on mobile and require ppl to click to lead them (like with images on the Mobile site) ?

It gets really bad on threads were the same tweet gets quoted over and over, like in politics and entertainment threads.
Diggity
AG
you guys looking into this?
TexasAggie_02
AG
Diggity said:

you guys looking into this?

This is beyond frustrating. I have been a subscriber for nearly 20 years, and am about ready to walk away from Texags over this. No reason why a website should be crashing core android services.
Diggity
AG
You're not kidding.

It's like they unintentionally wrote an Android virus.
tlepoC
AG
It's probably a problem that they don't have the chops to solve. Maybe they do. If they did, there would be commentary here on what the cause is and path forward for correction.
TexasAggie_02
AG
Something else that might help is to code the mobile site to hide quoted text so that the same tweets aren't loaded a dozen times on the same page.
Diggity
AG
tlepoC
AG
I really wish I could keep up to date on Israel or Ukraine tooics through TexAgs while using my brand new Android Phone running the most up to date software. Time to find a new primary forum after being a pretty dedicated user.

I originallythought this was purely a technical problem beyond TexAgs in house teams abilities. If that was the case, we'd at least get acknowledgement of an issue at some scale. Guess I was wrong and it's just pure negligence.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.