***Transfer Portal Thread April 28-May 4***
6,506 Views | 70 Replies
MarcAg
6:44p, 4/30/24

Would be a heck of a pickup. We were in the running out of HS and Manny and Wade were working him hard. We reached out a year ago when he went into the portal. But the fact we couldn't close on him twice, doesn't give me much hope a third time.
zgolfz85
6:59p, 4/30/24
saw toppin in person in memphis. Would love to have him, but seems like a very long shot...
Fanatic15...Drs2B!
9:03p, 4/30/24
In reply to zgolfz85
zgolfz85 said:

saw toppin in person in memphis. Would love to have him, but seems like a very long shot...

A long shot?

Kinda like that shot Garcia made to send us into overtime against the 1 seed in the round of 32?

Agree that it is unlikely we can get or "afford him" - but we all saw that when Henry was hurt and Marble not playing, even with Leveque, we were really thin in the front court and Garcia was getting exhausted. Now with Payne replacing Leveque (seemingly a talent upgrade- though probably not on the drums :-) - we are still not deep enough at the forward/center positions if there is an injury and/or one (or two) of our guys fouls out.

ANOTHER talented BIG like Toppin is what we need in the front court to make this a likely second weekend NCAAT team - and a potential Final Four team if everything breaks right for us and we get the right matchups.

C'mon NIL dudes! Let's go get Toppin and bring him home to Texas!
Topher17
9:03p, 4/30/24
In reply to MarcAg
I really think anyone going in the portal on the very last day got an offer they couldn't pass up and generally knows where they're going. Maybe I'm wrong though and he just couldn't come to an agreement with KSU.

I imagine his list of suitors will be long and a lot more high profile than A&M, but I'd love to be wrong.
Method Man
9:04p, 4/30/24

MarcAg
9:16p, 4/30/24
In reply to Method Man
Method Man said:

Massive pickup for Arkansas.
mikesyracuse1
12:38a, 5/1/24
Definitely a great add for Arkansas. Now it will be interesting to see where Wagner ends up with this signing.

Mikesyracuse1
Redfishag93
7:54a, 5/1/24
We need to pick up a younger guard badly who can handle the ball. Wade, Manny, and Phelps all have one more year right?

I am feeling really good about the team for next year after the Phelps pick up, but the following year...yikes.
Fanatic15...Drs2B!
7:59a, 5/1/24
As much as I would like to get Toppin or one of the other bigger men we are discussing, I agree with the poster who cited concern that almost (other than Mills) ALL of our guards are essentially gone after this year.

Pope, with 2 years left, would've been the heir apparent and future leader had we been able to get him... but we did not.

So, with the future in mind, anybody know if any decent ball handlers with at least two seasons of eligibility left are still out there and looking for a landing spot?

Or is it very unlikely due to lack of available scholarships? (Could Hefner become pure NIL to stay here and free up his scholarship?).
Redfishag93
8:15a, 5/1/24
Just watched highlights of the Millender kid from South Alabama. Really like the looks of this guy.

Small but strong, quick, ball handler, really good looking shot...maybe gets over-powered some but looks like he can stay in front of the ball.

Bio says he went to Clear Brook so maybe that helps being closer to home. This would be a very big pick up.
bobinator
8:55a, 5/1/24
In reply to Fanatic15...Drs2B!

Quote:

Or is it very unlikely due to lack of available scholarships? (Could Hefner become pure NIL to stay here and free up his scholarship?).
Think Marc has pointed this out on several threads but you can't do this (unless the rules have changed.) A player on scholarship can't be dropped to a walk-on.
bg92
10:00a, 5/1/24
In reply to Redfishag93
We need to get basketball NIL in order before the end of next season. With the number of players we will be replacing, it will be expensive.
Fanatic15...Drs2B!
10:56a, 5/1/24
In reply to bg92
bg92 said:

We need to get basketball NIL in order before the end of next season. With the number of players we will be replacing, it will be expensive.

Agree.

Though Wade leaving will probably free up a chunk of change (with no real knowledge of what his NIL deal has become for this final season).
Know Your Enemy
11:09a, 5/1/24
MarcAg
11:16a, 5/1/24
In reply to Fanatic15...Drs2B!
Fanatic15...Drs2B! said:

bg92 said:

Agree.

Though Wade leaving will probably free up a chunk of change (with no real knowledge of what his NIL deal has become for this final season).

It seems like it would "free up a chunk", but let's say Wade is getting $400k this year. When he leaves you don't just have $400k available. You have to get people to give that money again.
MarcAg
11:17a, 5/1/24

This would be a home run. Maybe Payne can help us.
zgolfz85
11:27a, 5/1/24
In reply to Know Your Enemy
Know Your Enemy said:

is that the dude that was banging out the other arky dude?
TexasAGGIEinAR
11:42a, 5/1/24
In reply to zgolfz85
He, Devo Davis and Tramon Mark were allegedly all wadded up with each other. Butt naked, of course.
AgEfan
12:17p, 5/1/24
In reply to TexasAGGIEinAR
TexasAGGIEinAR said:

He, Devo Davis and Tramon Mark were allegedly all wadded up with each other. Butt naked, of course.
It all came from a Missouri fan on a Missouri message board. It's basically their Sliced Bread incident.
zgolfz85
12:20p, 5/1/24
In reply to AgEfan
AgEfan said:

TexasAGGIEinAR said:

It all came from a Missouri fan on a Missouri message board. It's basically their Sliced Bread incident.
I choose to believe it
Know Your Enemy
12:53p, 5/1/24
Method Man
9:42p, 5/1/24

So if we've reached out it means we expect some movement out.
MarcAg
9:45p, 5/1/24
In reply to Method Man
Method Man said:

So if we've reached out it means we expect some movement out.

He entered the portal a week ago. We had a scholarship at that time. Doesn't mean we won't have room, just saying it doesn't mean we will.
Method Man
9:51p, 5/1/24
MarcAg
9:54p, 5/1/24
If it had been enough else I wouldn't have responded. I just wanted to crush your excitement.
Method Man
9:58p, 5/1/24
One of your better traits. You know I enjoy being miserable.
bobinator
8:11a, 5/2/24
In reply to Method Man
Can't wait for the day we finally cut down the nets and are headed to our first ever final four to log on and see you mad about something.
Method Man
8:25a, 5/2/24
I wouldn't be mad...until the next day.
MarcAg
8:28a, 5/2/24
In reply to Method Man
Method Man said:

I wouldn't be mad...until the next day.

You would be excited we got to the final 4, but you would also message me and say; "We are going to get killed by ______ (in the final 4)".
bobinator
8:30a, 5/2/24
In reply to MarcAg
Yeah if our game was the first Elite Eight game to finish so we didn't know who we were playing yet you might be happy for a few hours.
MarcAg
8:33a, 5/2/24
In reply to bobinator
Me- I can't believe we finally made the Final 4 in year 2028.

Method Man- Yeah, but remember how bad Javonte Brown sucked and some people on TexAgs thought he was pretty good.
bobinator
8:38a, 5/2/24
In reply to MarcAg
Lol, that's really at the core of Method Man's bit, he gets annoyed when people are happy about something they shouldn't be happy about.
EliteZags
10:57a, 5/2/24
remember when we had big man transfers from Duke, UConn, and Michigan State and couldn't get out the 1st rd
Know Your Enemy
11:12a, 5/2/24
EliteZags
11:32a, 5/2/24
they've now signed complimentary scorers from WVU, Dayton, WF, SDSU, OU, Drexel, and OSU's center..

was still expecting them to pull an Antonio Reeves outta somewhere (not even Mashburn?) after also losing Sheppard/Dillingham/BigZ/Mitchell/Thiero plus all three 5 star 2023 recruits
wild roster action

4 players projected to be drafted from a team that got torched by an insurance salesman rd 1
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 2 of 3
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings