Schloss on Olsen Expansion
35,606 Views | 199 Replies
RedlegAg21
8:08a, 8/17/23

Sounds like more exciting times ahead! Does anyone have any more info on what this could look like?
Vepp
8:54a, 8/17/23

Polo grounds v2?
CrottyKid
10:07a, 8/17/23
In reply to Vepp
That's what came to mind for me.

I hope we go full on quirky. I want a green monster in LF that is the side of a new building for baseball player development. I want three tiers of fans along both baselines and behind home plate. Make it a very close/intimate atmosphere and fill it with the craziest fans in college baseball. It will be a hot ticket night out.
CrottyKid
10:12a, 8/17/23
He also mentioned Camden Yards by name.
Farmer1906
10:24a, 8/17/23
In reply to Vepp
I was thinking Tiger Stadium

Angry Beaver
10:56a, 8/17/23
In reply to CrottyKid
CrottyKid said:

He also mentioned Camden Yards by name.
He didn't say it was going to look like Camden Yards. He said the new design would change the way people thought of college baseball stadiums, much like Camden Yards did when it was built. That stadium was one of the first to be built "up" and "around" other things (like buildings) because of where it was located and there was not much space to build on.

I'm thinking we're going to have a 3 or 4 deck stadium before it's all said and done.
greg.w.h
11:04a, 8/17/23
greg.w.h
11:08a, 8/17/23
Or…

jkag89
11:32a, 8/17/23
In reply to CrottyKid
CrottyKid said:

That's what came to mind for me.

I hope we go full on quirky. I want a green monster in LF that is the side of a new building for baseball player development. I want three tiers of fans along both baselines and behind home plate. Make it a very close/intimate atmosphere and fill it with the craziest fans in college baseball. It will be a hot ticket night out.
As long as Olsen is not made into a band box I'm OK with quirky as long as it isn't gimmicky. In others words quirks are fine if they are made necessary in expanding the seating capacity of Olsen yet keeping it a fair playing field but please nothing like what State did in right field corner when they redid Dudy Noble.
greg.w.h
11:49a, 8/17/23
In reply to jkag89
The original band box…Baker Bowl in Philly…though referred to as a cigar box due to its oblong shape. Right field wall is 279' and 40' high.

Also older painting but colored. The latter version was double-decked in left field. Left field was 341', center was 408', and right center was 300'

CrottyKid
1:00p, 8/17/23
In reply to Angry Beaver
Right. It was the first of the trend for MLB teams to build old-looking stadiums, too. I agree that he was saying it could be a trendsetter like Camden Yards was.
dabo man
1:50p, 8/17/23
My personal favorite quirk in an old ballpark. When they built Griffith Stadium (the Senators home from 1911-1961) the lady whose home was in center field refused to sell. They had to bring the CF fence in in order to stay off of her property.

BCSWguru
2:00p, 8/17/23
this would be allsome
P.U.T.U
2:02p, 8/17/23
When I played in the pony league divisional championship they had 2 power line poles in the outfield. Would not recommend the renovated Olsen have that. Wasn't very fun
greg.w.h
2:04p, 8/17/23
Let's flip the Diamond and home plate below the scoreboard. Keep fans in the outfield!!
85AustinAg
2:16p, 8/17/23
When I think of limited footprint but a good amount of vertical height, I think of Ebbets Field in Brooklyn. At its peak it sat 35,000.

CrottyKid
2:21p, 8/17/23
Would it be too goofy to replicate a famous all-timer stadium like Ebbets Field?
greg.w.h
2:25p, 8/17/23
In reply to CrottyKid
CrottyKid said:

Would it be too goofy to replicate a famous all-timer stadium like Ebbets Field?
Before the Rec Center maybe…
ensign_beedrill
2:31p, 8/17/23
In reply to dabo man
Awesome. Did she then complain about all the traffic and noise?

It might just be fun to have a home in centerfield though.
ftworthag02
2:31p, 8/17/23
?width=700&height=411&fit=crop&format=pjpg&auto=webp
P.U.T.U
2:37p, 8/17/23
Since Kyle Field does not have a lazy river why not put one in Olsen? Or at least have a pool or two in the outfield like Frisco's park? A few college girls in the water can bring interest to some fans not sure about coming...
85AustinAg
3:38p, 8/17/23
Like Camden Yards and other new ballparks the cool thing is incorporating some of the looks from the historical stadiums into the new ones. Don't know if any part of Ebbets Field would translate to Olsen but I think its a cool old stadium.
greg.w.h
5:00p, 8/17/23
Some similarities:

Vepp
8:13p, 8/17/23
I'm pro arches and curved glass on the outer fascade.
West Point Aggie
9:24p, 8/17/23
So go up as in upper decks?
Mister Mystery Guest
6:39a, 8/18/23
In reply to 85AustinAg
Man, you beat me to it.
https://www.instagram.com/p/Cv91Q2cSCrm/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==
twk
7:50a, 8/18/23
In reply to greg.w.h
greg.w.h said:

The original band box…Baker Bowl in Philly…though referred to as a cigar box due to its oblong shape. Right field wall is 279' and 40' high.

Also older painting but colored. The latter version was double-decked in left field. Left field was 341', center was 408', and right center was 300'

You are confusing Baker Bowl (home of the Phillies until 1938) with Shibe Park (home of the A's from 1909 until they left town; home of the Phillies from 1939-1970; renamed Connie Mack Stadium in the 50's).

The two parks were in fairly close proximity.

greg.w.h
10:02a, 8/18/23
In reply to twk
My reference to Baker was from this article:

https://www.sportslingo.com/sports-glossary/b/bandbox/

The rest was either Wikipedia or Google photos but everything matched. But I won't claim the original article was correct. It did call Baker the first bandbox stadium.

Just re-read and saw this:

"The Philadelphia Inquirer coined the term "Baker Bowl" on July 11, 1923[32] after then Phillies owner William F. Baker. Baker had purchased the club in 1913 and would own the club until his death in 1930.

Built for baseball in the dead ball era, it came to be seen as inadequately cramped for the post-1920 live ball era. The ballpark was written about as "The Cigar Box" and "The Band Box", referring to the diminutive size of the outfield. After the close of the Baker Bowl, the terms "cigar box" and "bandbox" were subsequently applied to any "intimate" ballpark (like Boston's Fenway Park or Brooklyn's Ebbets Field) whose configurations were conducive to players hitting home runs.

The ballpark would also be referred to as "The Hump" in reference to the hill in center field covering the partially submerged railroad tunnel in the street beyond right field that extended through into center field. Outfielders would occasionally feel the rumblings of the trains passing underneath them."
dabo man
12:12p, 8/18/23
Quote:

You are confusing Baker Bowl (home of the Phillies until 1938) with Shibe Park (home of the A's from 1909 until they left town; home of the Phillies from 1939-1970; renamed Connie Mack Stadium in the 50's).
Shibe Park had one of my other favorite old ballpark quirks. Here's a picture of the 1929 World Series with neighbors watching over the right field wall from the rooftops.

A's owner Connie Mack lost a lawsuit to prevent this, so he built a huge wall to block their view. This became known at the spite fence. This is AWESOME.

Stadium in 1960 w/the spite fence

Farmer1906
12:16p, 8/18/23
Don't get me wrong. I love a deep dive into random old ballparks. Does anyone have any new info on what Schloss was talking about? There were some drawings done about 6 years ago that were fine (wouldn't put us on MS level) and then some similar ones at a preseason event this year (or was it last).
greg.w.h
12:21p, 8/18/23
I think Schloss was pushing for something bigger and the school said you can go up as long as you get it funded. So I'm guessing there will need to be some new drawings to sell the concept…

And more power to him for not relenting. Especially after a bureaucratic no.
TAMU1990
1:10p, 8/18/23
I don't think it will be enclosed. There's not a lot of space between right field and the tracks. I think it would be better to make it a walkway. If they can enclose it it needs to be small grilling areas with a walkway to left field.
85AustinAg
2:22p, 8/18/23
From what Schloss said in the spring, they are working through a new set of parameters for the scope of the work this summer and it sounds like they're finished with that or close to it. I believe he said sometime this Fall we'd start to see new renderings. Changes to the scope, etc. and they have a bit of a new directive. May see some of what was included before but this will be closer to the finished product and will include things like the player performance stuff and the structure growing vertically.
West Point Aggie
3:02p, 8/18/23
A lots of these images remind me of how close Yankee Stadium and the Polo Grounds used to be to each other…
Jock 07
12:33a, 8/19/23
Seems just like yesterday they were tearing down the right field bleachers.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 6
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings