A few things I'd like to see v MSU

2,003 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by W
snowdog90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I guess this would be a decent recipe for any series, but I'd love to see the pitching do the following.

15 innings
Prager
Lamkin
Jones

4 innings
Aschenbeck

2 innings
Sdao
Stewart

6 innings
Moss
Jackson
Rudis
Badmaev
Smith
Peery

It would be great to get more out of the starters, but 15 would be good. Sdao might be needed for more than 2, but 2 would be good.

As for the offense, I've figured out what's been bugging me. As a team, we're taking a lot of walks, but we've been stranding lots of runners. With all these walks, it might be beneficial to start employing an aggressive running game, at least with the bottom of the order. Steal some bases, hit-and-run with Ali and Kent and Sorrell, when he's in. With so many walks, runs sometimes need to be manufactured. We're struggling with that.

Obviously, you don't want to make dumb, over-aggressive outs when GG, Jace, Monty or Appel are batting, but basically I'm spit-balling.

Great result tonight. More character-building and great job of finding a way to win.
Farmer1906
AG

Quote:

2 innings
Sdao
Stewart
This feels light.
zephyr88
AG
Our offense has proved it can score, but we've relied too much on run generation.

I'd like to see our defense (namely our pitching) keep the other team <4 runs.
jkag89
1) Three Ws
2) No serious injuries
dermdoc
AG
jkag89 said:

1) Three Ws
2) No serious injuries
Amen. Anyway we get there is great.

Baseball games have a life of their own.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Wabs
AG
snowdog90 said:

I guess this would be a decent recipe for any series, but I'd love to see the pitching do the following.

15 innings
Prager
Lamkin
Jones

4 innings
Aschenbeck

2 innings
Sdao
Stewart

6 innings
Moss
Jackson
Rudis
Badmaev
Smith
Peery

It would be great to get more out of the starters, but 15 would be good. Sdao might be needed for more than 2, but 2 would be good.

As for the offense, I've figured out what's been bugging me. As a team, we're taking a lot of walks, but we've been stranding lots of runners. With all these walks, it might be beneficial to start employing an aggressive running game, at least with the bottom of the order. Steal some bases, hit-and-run with Ali and Kent and Sorrell, when he's in. With so many walks, runs sometimes need to be manufactured. We're struggling with that.

Obviously, you don't want to make dumb, over-aggressive outs when GG, Jace, Monty or Appel are batting, but basically I'm spit-balling.

Great result tonight. More character-building and great job of finding a way to win.
Agree with this. I'd like to see the offense put more pressure on the defense. Seems we take a station-to-station approach too much. Granted, this is a small gripe because our offense has for the most part produced runs via the HR - but we do seem to go into mini-slumps with this approach. I know this has been mentioned several times, but I do think we watch too many very hittable strikes early in the count. I think this leads to a much higher number of strike outs. If a pitcher is pumping a FB right down the pipe on the first pitch, hop on it and hammer it.
Denton82TAMU86
AG
I don't see Cortez on your pitching list. Did I miss something and he's not available?
He's arguably been as effective as anyone on the pitching staff.

Edit for my poor phone typing.
AgFormerlyInIrving
AG
jkag89 said:

1) Three Ws
2) No serious injuries

^ This! And no food delivered to the press box!
StinkyPinky
AG
AgFormerlyInIrving said:

jkag89 said:

1) Three Ws
2) No serious injuries

Fat chance. We'll get a two inning play by play on the short rib nachos.
StinkyPinky
AG
Wabs said:

snowdog90 said:

15 innings
Prager
Lamkin
Jones

4 innings
Aschenbeck

2 innings
Sdao
Stewart

6 innings
Moss
Jackson
Rudis
Badmaev
Smith
Peery

Agree with this. I'd like to see the offense put more pressure on the defense. Seems we take a station-to-station approach too much. Granted, this is a small gripe because our offense has for the most part produced runs via the HR - but we do seem to go into mini-slumps with this approach. I know this has been mentioned several times, but I do think we watch too many very hittable strikes early in the count. I think this leads to a much higher number of strike outs. If a pitcher is pumping a FB right down the pipe on the first pitch, hop on it and hammer it.
This. Someone made a good comment after the Florida series that are line-up didn't have the number of big bats that we initially thought it had after early season production. They definitely have slowed down and we benefit mainly from walks and HR's. Way too many strike outs without the bats getting off the shoulder for the majority of the strikes and waaaaay too many pop-ups. Need to figure out how to flatten those balls out and get them into play. Talent is there to do it, just need to find a way to get more production and not strand runners.
jkag89
StinkyPinky said:

AgFormerlyInIrving said:

jkag89 said:

1) Three Ws
2) No serious injuries

Fat chance. We'll get a two inning play by play on the short rib nachos.
It won't be an issue for tonight's game on ESPNU, the announcers will probably be calling the game from own easy chair in their den home studio.
snowdog90
Denton82TAMU86 said:

I don't see Cortez on your pitching list. Did I miss something and he's not available?
He's arguably been as effective as anyone on the pitching staff.

Edit for my poor phone typing.

Holy crap, I forgot Cortez. Sheesh, that's big. I think I'd put him in the 4 inning category, which changes a lot of stuff. And who knows, the starters could go a lot more (hopefully) or a lot less, like last week. I like where our pitching is.
grover1263
Love it but swinging early is not coach's philosophy. Especially the first 4-5 innings of a game. Just the way it is and he has been very successful with his coaching philosophy over the years.
Wabs
AG
grover1263 said:

Love it but swinging early is not coach's philosophy. Especially the first 4-5 innings of a game. Just the way it is and he has been very successful with his coaching philosophy over the years.
Oh, I agree that it's not Schloss's way of doing things. But I think maybe some more in-game type of adjustments would help. Just don't like starting alot of ABs down 0-1 and sometimes 0-2 before swinging the bat.
greg.w.h
AG
AgFormerlyInIrving said:

jkag89 said:

1) Three Ws
2) No serious injuries

why?
Denton82TAMU86
AG
Your takes are generally pretty solid so I am relieved it was just an oversight on your part and not something catastrophic that I had missed regarding Cortez.
grover1263
Agree
RED AG 98
AG
jkag89 said:

It won't be an issue for tonight's game on ESPNU, the announcers will probably be calling the game from own easy chair in their den home studio.

Tha Worst!!! I really hope that is not the case for our tv games.
snowdog90
Denton82TAMU86 said:

Your takes are generally pretty solid so I am relieved it was just an oversight on your part and not something catastrophic that I had missed regarding Cortez.

Thanks. Yeah, I got all the pitchers from the roster and somehow missed Cortez. Crazy, because he should be big, one way or the other. If he's on, Ags will have a great chance to win.

I think Prager will bounce back big and set the tone for the weekend. And I'm hoping Burton, Schott, Kent or Camarillo break out, one of them getting 5 hits on the weekend. We'll see.
MaroonStain
AG
Cannot go 3 and 4 innings with no baserunners when we are at the plate.
PhatMack19
AG
snowdog90 said:

15 innings
Prager
Lamkin
Jones

4 innings
Aschenbeck

2 innings
Sdao
Stewart

6 innings
Moss
Jackson
Rudis
Badmaev
Smith
Peery

Game 1

Prager 6.1
Stewart 1.1
Asch 1.1
W
AG
step one complete
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.