Question for jkag89

2,727 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by BANA89
Aggie12B
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
When and why did you start saying dime anytime an AG has a fly out?
it's re-tarded as hell.
jkag89
Sorry you feel that way JC. I don't think it is. Why do you care, if I'm the one using it, how does it reflect on you? I'm certain those of us who use the term explained it last season and I recall us doubling down on it when called out for using it. Remember two nickels, ten pennies? All baseball argot started somewhere, I wonder if someone *****ed about can of corn, frozen rope, golden sombrero, worm killer, so on and so forth. Yes I get these are now all part of the common baseball vernacular but please explain to me how they are any less idiotic.. The very nature of the game lends itself to the creation of such words and phrases. If you can't be silly or have fun watching baseball, what's the point? In other words . . .

Oh, and typing dime is easier than pop fly, can of corn etc. and most here understand what we mean when used.
MROD92
I thought I was CRAZY being awake at 3 am thinking about baseball. Wow calling out individual posters for "dime"? It's been explained and goodness the baseball forum is different, not the zoo, part of what I love about this place IMHO. Too many great things going on to get worked up over this. And for nostalgia, I still have an Olsen field souvenir bat, given to me personally by Mr Olsen himself as he used to do on game days. My dad (class of 65) made a display case out of wood for it to sit on. Gig Em, let's take the series today
Aggie12B
AG
Thanks for the explanation John. I wasn't meaning to call you out. I was just curious and I knew you could/would explain it to me without telling me to go F*** myself. If it was explained last season, I either missed it, or I had forgotten it. It doesn't reflect on me in anyway, I just don't recall any of us ever saying that in section 103 back in the good old days before I joined the Army. Of course, there's a lot of stuff I don't remember since I got blown up.
To me, it's just a little distracting because everytime I read it, I think of this scene from Blazing Saddles:
Sean98
AG
Have also never heard dime used in that context and have no idea what he was trying to say.
jkag89
Sorry JC. My initial response to your post was me not realizing it was you. Left if up even after my two functioning brain cells met because at times I can be an ass, just ask my family. I will keep it up since at least a few folks have seen by now and I don't like taking things down even it does not paint me in a particularly good light.

The sentiment of that post still remains but I should at least have answered you. Not sure who started it in section 103/104. Maybe me, not likely since I'm rarely creative with such things (or is that proof I did start it) or K-man or any of the regulars in that section. Not exactly sure when it started, '04 or '05 with our frustration with the Ags skying ball, after ball, after ball.. Basically a dime was what a player had to pay into the imaginary fine jar for pop ups. For at least a couple of seasons many of us would dejectedly say it when the Ags popped it up, particularly if said pop up occurred in a key moment of the game. dabo man remined me of this last season so I began using it here. Obviously I like it. It is a reminder to me of fun times at Olsen even in crappy seasons with good people and I wish you could have been there with us. Again, I apologize for my rudeness.
Bunk Moreland
What a weird pillow talk thread. And started by the dude who does the forced kkkk shtick on game threads to boot?
dcg4403
AG
Sean98 said:

Have also never heard dime used in that context and have no idea what he was trying to say.

Let me help here as an unbiased observer.

Yes, using the term "DIME" as baseball vernacular is absolutely wrong. Makes no sense and is very confusing to other fans. It must absolutely stop at all costs before the baseball gods get really, really pissed off.

Tom Chandler himself is rolling in his damn grave!!!

What is "dime"?
1) A hot ass chick
2) 1/10 of an oz of mary jane
3) 10 years jail sentence
4) Snitching or Betraying. From a 10 cent call to the police (using a dime in the phone booth)
5) In football...it is a perfectly thrown pass
6) In Basketball....it is a perfect pass for an assist
7) In Baseball? There is NO relevancy. Other than possibly referring to a smashed line drive head over a fielders head. I can accept those as dimes. But pop ups? Makes no sense whatsoever.

Glad I could clear this up for everyone.

If you keep using the term dime as pop-ups, you will receive at least 100 years bad luck which is transferable to your closest relative upon death.
trouble
AG
It's relevant in Aggie baseball lore and that's all that matters.

We do plenty of things that aren't done anywhere else in regards to baseball.
McInnis
AG
I appreciate the explanation. I just assume someone must have said something like "if I had a dime for every pop-up the Aggies hit I'd be rich".
Sean98
AG
This helps. Inside jokes I get. Had never heard it and had no idea what the heck it meant. ...as someone when no TV, trying to picture what is happening based on Will, Scott, etc describing something through the internet radio waves I never had moving pictures to tie anything together.
dabo man
AG
It was an early season game around 2005/6/7. The Ags were hitting pop up after pop up after pop up. AB2 (haven't seen him post in a long time) blurted out "I don't care if these guys are amateurs. We should start fining them for these pop ups."

We settled on ten cents, and a popup became a dime.
jkag89
Thanks dabo, the older one gets the fuzzier one's memory gets.

AggieBomber, now that's a name I haven't heard for a long time.
RED AG 98
AG
Wait, are you trying to tell me that baseball players coaches or fans are weird and do weird things? Well, I never!

I mean, pretty much everything about this dumb beautiful sport is weird.
10Aggie10
AG
jkag89
Quote:

If you keep using the term dime as pop-ups, you will receive at least 100 years bad luck which is transferable to your closest relative upon death.
RED AG 98
AG
Is it weird that sometimes a player or fan won't wash an article of clothing on a winning streak? What about not shaving or cutting their hair?

Is it weird that some players eat the same thing before every game?

Is it weird that some people think broadcasters or fans talking about a no-hitter actually affects the outcome of the game?

Is it weird that we talk about appeasing and sacrificing to the baseball gods?

Is it weird that when players come off the field, many have a rule about whether or not they will step on the chalk?

Baseball is pretty weird; Texas A&M is pretty weird. Seems like a perfect match to me.

BadMoonRisin
AG
I've always wondered, so thanks for posting, although I might have not been so aggro.

I was in school in 04-08 and only went to a handful of games at Olsen. I even lived in a ****house across the street on Marion Pugh, so I could have walked and I had an all sports pass.

I regret that, but I don't think there was much buzz about baseball at that time.

I was into all aggie sports. My first game at Reed was when Acie hit The Shot against Texas, and we were camping out for basketball tickets for the rest of the time I was there
McInnis
AG
BadMoonRisin said:

I've always wondered, so thanks for posting, although I might have not been so aggro.

He might have gotten a better initial response if he had left out that second sentence. There's a word there that's offensive to a lot of people and even though he got around Texags' profanity filter there's a good reason it is filtered.
Alpha Man
I gave you a blue star. That's 46.
Sea Pony 07
AG
BadMoonRisin said:

I was in school in 04-08 and only went to a handful of games at Olsen. I even lived in a ****house across the street on Marion Pugh, so I could have walked and I had an all sports pass.

I regret that, but I don't think there was much buzz about baseball at that time.

I was into all aggie sports. My first game at Reed was when Acie hit The Shot against Texas, and we were camping out for basketball tickets for the rest of the time I was there
04-08 was a rough time to get started with Aggie baseball. Those were my freshmen through senior plus seasons and we had a coaching change, and the way it was handled after 05 caused a lot of people to quit coming to the games. 06 was a train wreck of a season and it started to turn around in 07 when we hosted the regional.
fav13andac1)c
AG
MROD92 said:

I thought I was CRAZY being awake at 3 am thinking about baseball. Wow calling out individual posters for "dime"? It's been explained and goodness the baseball forum is different, not the zoo, part of what I love about this place IMHO. Too many great things going on to get worked up over this. And for nostalgia, I still have an Olsen field souvenir bat, given to me personally by Mr Olsen himself as he used to do on game days. My dad (class of 65) made a display case out of wood for it to sit on. Gig Em, let's take the series today

The Baseball board is WAY better than the zoo because of the people in it. They deeply care about the program and want it reach new heights, but are also level-headed enough to not whine and complain after every loss. My kind of people.
Sean98
AG
dabo man said:

It was an early season game around 2005/6/7. The Ags were hitting pop up after pop up after pop up. AB2 (haven't seen him post in a long time) blurted out "I don't care if these guys are amateurs. We should start fining them for these pop ups."

We settled on ten cents, and a popup became a dime.
This whole thread is really my fault. I moved away from B/CS in 2004 and the remaining 203/AAers couldn't keep the mojo going and let the whole program fall to s*** so things like this had to be invented to keep them entertained.
trouble
AG
Whoa! That's the year I moved away as well.

WHAT DID WE DO!?!?!?!?!
BANA89
AG
I think it should be asterisked out d***, that way people in the know can play their game and people annoyed by dime play theirs. Sure nothing can be bad about scattered d***'s in the thread or even d*** pics for that matter.
BANA Class of '86/'89 - Living in Aggieland!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.