why keep PH'ing for Kent?

2,331 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Bullpen Chias
bulverdeaggie93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
why do we keep pinch hitting for Kent?… last night it was the lefty Bell pinching hitting for the lefty Kent… i don't get it… then did everyone notice who was on deck when Ali K'd to end the game?.. it was going to be Targac (on deck)… Kent is much more competitive in AB's than Bell and Targac… i don't get it
TD15
I agree, my recall is that the Kent pinch hitters have yet to get a hit this year.
OKCAGS
Still giving guys a chance to earn more playing time . Kent has been solid , but Schloss is still trying to figure out who gives us the best chance moving forward.
jkag89
Or he is playing with us for having the audacity to question his roster moves.
RED AG 98
AG
I think it's mostly about matchups and situations. He's been great in the field, but like many near the bottom of the lineup average at the plate. He doesn't have the power of someone like Targ and is perhaps a little more prone to GIDP.
tjack16
AG
Seems like DH and 2B are the only two positions not 100% locked in. Would love to see Kent hit well enough to take the job fully from everybody.
CrottyKid
AG
They need to send Targac to a sports psychologist and get him back on track. We really need his bat.
jkag89
You want to send him to this?

Naw of course you don't. Targ just needs a woman in a white dress to believe in him!
Dallasag517
AG
i can't see how kent would be any less effective than those pinch hitting for him at this point. so why not see if he can hit a groove at the plate?
phatty26
tjack16 said:

Seems like DH and 2B are the only two positions not 100% locked in. Would love to see Kent hit well enough to take the job fully from everybody.

I'd say LF as well Sorrell is a way better fielder than Schott. Those three spots with Schott, guaranteed a spot.
tjack16
AG
Yeah I hope it's this moving forward

Sorrel - LF
Schott - DH
Kent - 2B

Then if you really feel like it's a spot for Targac then he can pinch hit somewhere. But I think those 3 guys should lock down those spots
pantherag
AG
tjack16 said:

Yeah I hope it's this moving forward

Sorrel - LF
Schott - DH
Kent - 2B

Yep that should be the lineup moving forward.
RED AG 98
AG
I was a long ways away on the first base side, but from where I sat, I don't think Whispers makes that catch at the wall that Cade made today. Kid had a really good day today and earned a little bit more time in the lineup in my opinion.
themissinglink
AG
Schloss made a comment on the radio a while ago about Kent being a good player with limited upside (my paraphrasing). While I think Kent would be your starting 2B if the postseason started today, I think he'd prefer Bell win the job or Targac return to 2022 form. Just a guess. My personal opinion is Kent has been pretty solid and would be happy to see him in the lineup more consistently.
TexAg91
AG
He described him as not being the most "tooled up" player, as I recall, but complimented how hard he works.
Killzone3abc
AG
If Sorrell can be consistently decent then Schott is probably our typical DH. I still think Kent is the best bet at 2B right now, but he's been sloppy at the plate recently. Targac hasn't looked better, and Bell doesn't seem ready. Johnston played infield in highschool maybe he should get a look. We seem to want him playing OF though.
Sean98
AG
RED AG 98 said:

I was a long ways away on the first base side, but from where I sat, I don't think Whispers makes that catch at the wall that Cade made today. Kid had a really good day today and earned a little bit more time in the lineup in my opinion.
Even B-Mont joked (in a healthy way) about how he makes fun of Schott for being slow.
Shayboy3
S
I would like Kent to get a lot of rope to get rhythm. Kid has talent just needs some consistent reps in my opinion…
AggieOne
AG
OKCAGS said:

Still giving guys a chance to earn more playing time . Kent has been solid , but Schloss is still trying to figure out who gives us the best chance moving forward.
This!
RED AG 98
AG
Sean98 said:

RED AG 98 said:

Even B-Mont joked (in a healthy way) about how he makes fun of Schott for being slow.
I really do love Schott. Seems like a fun kid having a blast.

cheeky
AG
RED AG 98 said:

I think it's mostly about matchups and situations. He's been great in the field, but like many near the bottom of the lineup average at the plate. He doesn't have the power of someone like Targ and is perhaps a little more prone to GIDP.
Kent has not capitalized on his opportunities so nobody is really making the case. My opinion is that if Schloss goes all in on Kent then he will be the better asset down the stretch.
snowdog90
Not sure about what's going on with Kent. 2B is the last position looking for someone to win it. I think Kent is in the lead, but obviously Targac, Bell, maybe Chestnut when healthy are still in the running.

I said this a few days ago in another thread.

"I'd like to see Schloss let Sorrell get a few games in a row to see how he fares and I like his speed in the outfield. I'd love for Binderup, Targac, Bell... or somebody to become that next dangerous hitter that we're gonna need, but they just haven't shown it yet. Someone will step up soon, I'm sure, maybe more than 1, but I'd like to see what Sorrell does over a 3 or 4 game stretch."

To me, Sorrell earned the LF spot today, at least until he plays his way out of it. He had an incredible day - great defense, a HR and double against a left-handed pitcher. To me, Sorrell looks like a gamer, a guy that doesn't rattle, a clutch guy. His speed is nice, too. Most guys would not have gotten a double on his hit to left, but he made it easily.

I like Schott, but he struggles against lefties so far, and his speed isn't elite. I like him at DH, and I hope Sorrell gets some starts in LF at the 9 hole for a few games.
Killzone3abc
AG
I think if Travis didn't get hurt 2B is his job and the lineup is mostly settled with the (hopefully) emergence of Sorrell. If ifs and buts were candy and nuts we'd all have a merry Christmas. Burton played 2B at Michigan so unless there's a reason he can't here the remaining hitter can be a 1B or 2B. I think Kent and Binderup are the 2 guys worth gambling on at this point, but I don't know how everyone looks in practice. We still need a backup catcher to start hitting well so Appel can DH occasionally.
RED AG 98
AG
I tend to agree with this. His defense was good enough (not sure I saw enough to say great but maybe he is). But his speed on the bases and willingness to talk walks is a real game changer.
Bullpen Chias
AG
RED AG 98 said:

Also, first batter of game for MSU is a leadoff double if Schott is in LF vs Sorrell.

Kent came into the game in the 7th. He just didn't have a chance to bat until the end of the 8th, but Ali got out and KK never hit.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.