Anyone know the ropes re:CWS
8,507 Views | 74 Replies
houag78
8:25a, 4/10/24
Some Ag buddies and I are wanting to lock in some tix and lodging (in the hopes the Ags make it). Does anyone know if there is a good secondary market (or website, etc) for this type of thing if for some strange reason the Ags don't get there? Appreciate it.
aeroag14
8:34a, 4/10/24
CWS is amazing. I went in 2022, arguably the best sporting event that I have ever been to. Omaha is an awesome town.

Some things I learned.

1) Book a refundable hotel early. We didnt book a hotel until the week of and paid for it dearly. If you book a refundable hotel now, you will get a much better location and much nicer hotel than we got. And that way if the Ags dont end up making it or yall decide to back out, you can simply cancel.

2) Dont buy tickets until the last minute/day of. We bought all of our tickets in advance and ended up pay 50% to 100% more than what they were going for a few hours before first pitch. Tickets will be available on all of the third party websites.

3) If it is sunny/hot (like it was in 2022), the third base line and the OF can feel like an oven. Absolutely no shade. If you can, look for tickets in the upper half of the first deck along the first base line, these will provide the most shade, besides the luxury seats.

4) Explore the areas around the stadium/town. Right around the stadium is a really cool bar/restaurant scene. The rooftop of Blatt, literally looking into the stadium, is as good as it gets. The old market is fun as well.
powerbelly
8:35a, 4/10/24

Quote:

2) Dont buy tickets until the last minute/day of. We bought all of our tickets in advance and ended up pay 50% to 100% more than what they were going for a few hours before first pitch. Tickets will be available on all of the third party websites.
Yep, a ton of people buy tickets every year and will dump them close to first pitch if their team isn't playing.
dermdoc
8:37a, 4/10/24
We have been 3 times and know quite a bit. If you can swing it financially, stay walking distance from the stadium. The only hotel that is walking distance with a one day cancellation is the Double Tree downtown.
All the others have a 30 day cancellation or no refund policy.
So we always get a room at the Doubletree then book which ever hotel we want that is walking distance.
We usually end up at the Marriott Courtyard as I am a Marriott guy. It and the Hilton Garden Inn are in a great location, right by the Old Market area where all the restaurants and bars are and easy walking distance to the stadium.
There are other hotels closer to the stadium but farther from the Old Market area.
We get our tickets through the 12th Man and if we want to go to other games, single game tickets are usually available.
You can get whole tournament ticket packets through the CWS website. I strongly suggest getting in the shade.
No rental car needed if you stay walking distance, just Uber from the airport.
Will be happy to give bar and restaurants suggestions as we get closer.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
houag78
8:39a, 4/10/24
Thanks for the tips! Unfortunately, most lodging I have seen is refundable only thru May 31, so before the super regionals.
powerbelly
8:40a, 4/10/24
I would just plan on going.

I have been 3 times and once without the Aggies playing. It is fun either way.
aeroag14
8:44a, 4/10/24
In reply to powerbelly
powerbelly said:

I would just plan on going.

I have been 3 times and once without the Aggies playing. It is fun either way.

Having been once, when the Aggies were there, I would 1000% go again even if the Ags werent playing. If you enjoy baseball and a good time, you really cant go wrong.
aeroag14
8:45a, 4/10/24
Bubble machines are explicitly "not allowed" at the stadium. But you can sneak them in on your person.
aeroag14
8:47a, 4/10/24
In reply to dermdoc
dermdoc said:

We have been 3 times and know quite a bit. If you can swing it financially, stay walking distance from the stadium. The only hotel that is walking distance with a one day cancellation is the Double Tree downtown.
So we always get a room at the Doubketree then book which ever hotel we want that is walking distance.
We usually end up at the Marriott Courtyard as I am a Marriott guy. It and the Hilton Garden Amon are in a great location, right by the Pld Market area where all the restaurants and bars are and easy walking distance to the stadium.
There are other hotels closer to the stadium but farther from the Old Market area.
We get our tickets through the 12th Man and if we want to go to other games, single game tickets are usually available.
You can get whole tournament ticket packets through the CWS website. I strongly suggest getting in the shade.

Question for Doc.

Have you ever been to the CWS during the second weekend? Have decided that if (whether this year or a future year) we end up making it to the championship series, I will be going. Was curious if the hotel situation was a crazy the second weekend as it was the first weekend. Also curious how in demand tickets were for that championship series.
dermdoc
8:51a, 4/10/24
In reply to aeroag14
aeroag14 said:

dermdoc said:

So we always get a room at the Doubketree then book which ever hotel we want that is walking distance.
We usually end up at the Marriott Courtyard as I am a Marriott guy. It and the Hilton Garden Amon are in a great location, right by the Pld Market area where all the restaurants and bars are and easy walking distance to the stadium.

Question for Doc.

Have you ever been to the CWS during the second weekend? Have decided that if (whether this year or a future year) we end up making it to the championship series, I will be going. Was curious if the hotel situation was a crazy the second weekend as it was the first weekend. Also curious how in demand tickets were for that championship series.

Have never stayed for the second weekend. I imagine hotels would be easier to get since there are only 2 teams there.
We always book through Thursday and go from there.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
dermdoc
8:55a, 4/10/24
In reply to houag78
houag78 said:

Thanks for the tips! Unfortunately, most lodging I have seen is refundable only thru May 31, so before the super regionals.

Doubletree is cancellable the day before.
aeroag14
9:04a, 4/10/24
In reply to dermdoc
That is my intuition as well. Just wasnt sure!
TAL06RES
9:05a, 4/10/24
In reply to aeroag14
aeroag14 said:

dermdoc said:

Question for Doc.

I've been to Omaha 5x. Second weekend twice. It's much more relaxed/less folks for the second weekend. Hotels aren't as crazy, but also not a huge break on pricing if you're booking far ahead. The one time I got a major break on pricing was when I booked during the week between opening weekend and second weekend, after teams started getting eliminated.

That said, nothing really compares atmosphere wise to the first weekend. Old Market is still cool, through the entire tournament and you'll get great hospitality regardless of when you're there.
TarponChaser
9:12a, 4/10/24
Lots of good tips on here.

We went in 2022, partially because my older son was playing in a youth tournament up there called the Omaha Slumpbuster. It's a big, national tournament that they've run in conjunction with the CWS for like 25 years. It's a big reason why you'll see tons of kids running around (especially the OF bleachers) in their dirty team uniforms- play games early in the day and then go to the CWS in the afternoon/evening.

We had to stay at a specific hotel out on the west side of town for our tournament but it was an easy 20 minute drive and parking within walking distance was easy too. Seems like every business in DT Omaha within a 5 minute walk of the ballpark sets up pay lots or stuff so we never had an issue finding a parking spot.

It's a little bit of a hike but it's kind of cool to go see the little park they made old Rosenblatt Stadium into which is in the parking lot of the Omaha Zoo.

They make the area outside RF where The Blatt is located and The Old Mattress Factory Bar & Grill a pedestrian only area which is fun. Rocco's where they have the jello shot challenge is across the street from the stadium too. It's a little too far to walk from the ballpark, IMHO, but the Old Market/Old Downtown is a cool, historic area with lots of restaurants and bars. Upstream Brewing Company is really good.

It was stupid hot the first day we were there in 2022 but the rest of the time it was beautiful with the high only getting to like 85. We sat right down behind home plate to see us send Notre Dame home and it was insanely hot. But the rest of the games were beautiful.
CrocsAg20
9:41a, 4/10/24
My dad and I have been 15 years in a row now. This summer will be year 16. It's a trip we look forward to every year, especially with the first weekend always occurring during Father's Day. The Ags being there is just a bonus.

We book a BnB pretty early every year and always stay in/around the Old Market. That is where a good majority of the food and drinks are. It is "walking distance" if you don't mind a 10-15ish minute walk from the stadium. A lot of the time we will leave the day game, go to the Old Market to eat, and then head back to the stadium for the night game. We haven't gotten a car since the Rosenblatt days. Now with uber and that stuff, a car is not needed.

Tickets have been a lot harder to get. Before COVID, it was all paper tickets. All the local people around town have the tickets through their companies, etc. that have an office in Omaha. So before COVID, these local people would show up to the games with a bunch of extra tickets. You could stand outside the gates, hold XXX fingers up for how many tickets you needed, and easily make it into the game. Most of the time we would get in for way under face value. The rest of the times we would get in for free. The good ole days for sure.

Now that it has gone all electronic, the above doesn't work anymore. Very few of the locals have extra tickets when walking up and if they do, it is a hassle to get them transferred as Cell service isn't the best before/during the games. Like others have said, buying tickets day of/right before the games begin is the best option. A lot of the time we will buy the cheapest tickets available and just stand somewhere behind home plate. The sight lines are very good and it usually isn't an issue finding a place on the rail to stand and watch.

Stadium shade is definitely an issue. Section 102-120, row 25 and higher, will keep you in the shade. If not, bring sunscreen and wear lots of it. You will see some people walking around looking like a lobster.

You should go up there regardless of the Ags making it. It is a great environment, especially that first weekend where all the teams and their fans are in town.

I will pop back in here closer to the tourney and give some food recommendations.
houag78
9:44a, 4/10/24
Thanks for all the help guys - great suggestions!
rockwalltxag
10:19a, 4/10/24
Quote:

The only hotel that is walking distance with a one day cancellation is the Double Tree downtown.
Yep - that's where I am booked for second weekend.
drthoop
4:15p, 4/10/24
In reply to dermdoc
dermdoc said:

So we always get a room at the Doubletree then book which ever hotel we want that is walking distance.
We usually end up at the Marriott Courtyard as I am a Marriott guy. It and the Hilton Garden Inn are in a great location, right by the Old Market area where all the restaurants and bars are and easy walking distance to the stadium.
And I'll add that Nosh is a great bar. One of my favorites. dermdoc and I love to hold court there.
Tom Hooper '82,'84,'86---- College Station, Texas
dermdoc
6:33p, 4/10/24
In reply to drthoop
What he said.

And V Mertz is the best restaurant in town in my opinion.https://vmertz.com/

Bill Byrne told us about V Mertz when we went to the CWS in 2011. Always our first night dinner.
drthoop
7:00p, 4/10/24
Agree.
AggieBB
8:00p, 4/10/24
If you get tix for the day game on the third base side, get row 25 or higher. Learned that in 2022. We couldn't stand to sit in our seats because it was an absolute cooker. Got row 26 for the tu game and they were great
RED AG 98
8:42p, 4/10/24
The old GA ticket book pre-covid was maybe the best deal in all of sport. That's what we did in both 2011 and 2017. Yeah it's super hot in the outfield and you had to get in line, but it was a great way to see tons of games. We bought reserved seats for the Aggie games onsite / online while in Omaha but watched 90% of the non-A&M games from the outfield. Just an amazing experience with my son. He's a soph at A&M now and really we get to do it again this year! We may go either way but would love to watch the Ags again.
Adam87inSA
9:12p, 4/10/24
Awesome thread
drthoop
9:22p, 4/10/24
I'm at the Double Tree Th-Th. Will see what is available at what price after 4 teams go home. I have a ton of Hilton points so we'll see.
Definitely come to Nosh. We have a great time there. Usually a Aggie Club get together at the big Hilton by the
park.

Couple of pics from 2017.

Monty Martin, Corbin's Dad and myself.

I need one of these shirts.

My lovely wife Sarah.

Sarah and dermdoc's better half, the lovely Karen.

Damn, I'm getting excited.
dermdoc
9:27p, 4/10/24
In reply to drthoop
drthoop said:

I'm at the Double Tree Th-Th. Will see what is available at what price after 4 teams go home. I have a ton of Hilton points so we'll see.
Definitely come to Nosh. We have a great time there. Usually a Aggie Club get together at the big Hilton by the
park.

Couple of pics from 2017.

Monty Martin, Corbin's Dad and myself.

I need one of these shirts.

My lovely wife Sarah.

Sarah and dermdoc's better half, the lovely Karen.

Damn, I'm getting excited.
I know those women.
drthoop
9:29p, 4/10/24
One more. Sarah with Monty Martin.

And a bunch of us eating.

drthoop
9:35p, 4/10/24
Last ones.

Doug Coffman, Sarah and I in front of the banner.

Doug and I at the Aggie Club get together.

TheBonifaceOption
9:54p, 4/10/24
I might have met yall at DJs Dugout for the Aggie club event....I don't remember it well because...well DJs had this one drink that I don't remember ordering a third time...but I just know they kept coming.
trouble
10:11p, 4/10/24
In reply to drthoop
DOUGIE!!!!!
tamc93
9:00a, 4/11/24
Following.

Been on the list too long, but have a extended vacation in late June so may be hard to swing this year.
drthoop
7:12a, 4/12/24
My advice is to make hotel reservations for next year as soon as they'll take them and you know the dates. You can always cancel.
Agthatbuilds
7:28a, 4/12/24
It's hot as hell
PA24
8:42p, 4/14/24
Booked a room for 2nd weekend
USAFLT
3:18p, 4/15/24
Do club seating if you can. The food options are much nicer and the area is climate controlled so if you need a break from the heat you can just go inside for a few minutes.
tamc93
8:00p, 4/15/24
In reply to dermdoc
Appreciate the words of wisdom.

CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 3
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >