*****Aggies @ Alabama - Saturday*****
144,839 Views | 2149 Replies
Bryanisbest
6:52p, 4/20/24
We have about 5 solid pitchers. We can win a three game series and the SEC with that. Gonna be tough at Omaha though. Great hitting team though. Maybe best ever.
tjack16
7:03p, 4/20/24
Will be really curious to hear the rationale on the pinch-hitting decision today. Hoping he addresses it on the radio show this week.

FTAG 2000
7:04p, 4/20/24
The hand wringing is ridiculous. Schloss knows he's got a team that can go to Omaha and do some damage. He needs to find three more pitchers he can trust and a DH on each side of the plate over the next month, to figure out who he can count on to go the distance in Omaha.

Let the man work.
W
7:22p, 4/20/24
winning 2 of 3 keeps the train moving

just like 2 weeks ago vs. South Carolina

the rainout on Thursday impacted the bullpen usage
The Marksman
7:36p, 4/20/24
In reply to FTAG 2000
FTAG 2000 said:

The hand wringing is ridiculous. Schloss knows he's got a team that can go to Omaha and do some damage. He needs to find three more pitchers he can trust and a DH on each side of the plate over the next month, to figure out who he can count on to go the distance in Omaha.

Let the man work.
Schott is our DH and is hitting .333. Don't see a need for a DH from the other side of the plate at all.
FTAG 2000
8:35p, 4/20/24
In reply to The Marksman
The Marksman said:

FTAG 2000 said:

Let the man work.
Schott is our DH and is hitting .333. Don't see a need for a DH from the other side of the plate at all.

Yeah, meant to say PH, not DH.
tjack16
9:12p, 4/20/24
In reply to FTAG 2000
Id say your PH should be Kent, Bard, and Targac

But also … nobody in our starting lineup needs to be pinch hit for. They are the best lineup currently in the nation and have been on an insane hot streak over the past two series. I wouldn't pinch hit any of them in a close game unless they were injured
Redfishag93
9:19p, 4/20/24
Gotta feel good to win 2 of 3 considering shaky starting pitching this weekend in all 3.

Our lineup is crazy good.
Gotta feel good about several relief pitchers.

Get 2 of the 3 starting pitchers on track and we could be very dangerous.
Sean98
9:20p, 4/20/24
In reply to Bryanisbest
Bryanisbest said:

We have about 5 solid pitchers. We can win a three game series and the SEC with that. Gonna be tough at Omaha though. Great hitting team though. Maybe best ever.
with the modern CWS format it's really not all that hard. There's a ton (too much) of time between games.
Decay
9:21p, 4/20/24
Yeah I don't really get the PH thing. Lots of coaches do it in the ninth. I guess they're looking for a fresh player to make something happen. Didn't work out today but it's a long season. I'm assuming it's just a way to get guys experience that hopefully pays off down the road.
PhatMack19
9:26p, 4/20/24
In reply to twk
twk said:

SchizoAg said:

twk said:

AggieBB said:

PhatMack19 said:

Road series wins are always great, but that's 2 road series we should have swept.

We have to quit using Asch in games we are up big. Flame away all y'all want, but it would have been nice to have him available for 4+ innings today.
This. So much this.
If you don't go to Aschenbeck right then, and Bama makes a run, you end up using him anyway and burning another arm in the pen that we needed today.
That would have sucked. We might have ended up losing game 3.
Thats all you've got. If we don't pitch Aschenbeck there, we might lose the series.

Asch came in for game 2 in the 6th with a 6 run lead. We scored 3 in the 7th to give him a 9 run lead. He kept pitching and gave up a 2 run bomb in the 8th.

If we can't get 9 outs with a 9 run lead without burning our best pitcher, then we have bigger problems. I would rather have our best arm available in the most high leverage situations. Yes winning the 1st two games of a series is most important, but it's also important to not burn your best arm and figure out who else can win you a game with a 9 run lead.

Yes I know Schloss knows more than me and all that, but this is at least the 3rd time he's burned up Asch when he didn't need to. Eventually other guys will have to step up and be able to close out blow out wins.
Fquin
9:33p, 4/20/24
The pinch hitter was the only decision I have ever questioned of Schloss this whole season. More so because it could have possibly hurt the confidence of 2 young players. Sorrell earned the opportunity to hit in that situation with his play thus far this season and especially yesterday. And B hasn't had enough high stress at bats to be put in that situation yet. But, 2 out of 3 on the road against a ranked SEC opponent is a win and I'll take it.
McInnis
9:44p, 4/20/24
In reply to Fquin
Fquin said:

The pinch hitter was the only decision I have ever questioned of Schloss this whole season. More so because it could have possibly hurt the confidence of 2 young players. Sorrell earned the opportunity to hit in that situation with his play thus far this season and especially yesterday. And B hasn't had enough high stress at bats to be put in that situation yet. But, 2 out of 3 on the road against a ranked SEC opponent is a win and I'll take it.

I regret that I have only one blue star to give to this post.
TheBonifaceOption
9:48p, 4/20/24
I forget the circumstances but Sorrell bats left, BB bats right. What was the pitcher?
BLSmith04
10:10p, 4/20/24
In reply to TheBonifaceOption
TheBonifaceOption said:

I forget the circumstances but Sorrell bats left, BB bats right. What was the pitcher?

Left which is why we put in the righty batter.
Sea Pony 07
10:21p, 4/20/24
In reply to jkag89
jkag89 said:

Disappointing not to get the sweep but I'm never going to complain about a SEC series win on the road against a ranked opponent.

See y'all Tuesday!

I agree with you

I didn't get to watch the majority of the game live and I'm frustrated at the loss, but I'm ok with it. Learning opportunity for all parties involved and 2/3 against a ranked opponent on the road and a game where if any one of about 5 things had been slightly different, we'd have swept is something I'm having a hard time complaining about.

I'll also take some blame because I knew better than to post a picture of the broom before the sweep
Killzone3abc
10:35p, 4/20/24
In reply to 25txag
25txag said:

Targac was getting hot. I don't understand why he suddenly got benched? His potential is far greater than the others. I think we need more leadership and our 12th man on the field

He got benched because Chestnut earned the opportunity to show he deserved the spot, and he did just that. There are only 9 starters, someone has to ride the bench.
Killzone3abc
10:39p, 4/20/24
In reply to Bryanisbest
Bryanisbest said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA THAT'S THE FUNNIEST **** I'VE READ ON HERE TODAY. Man some of yall lol
W
10:50p, 4/20/24
Alabama went 5-4 vs. A&M, Arkansas, and Tennessee

they have good players
TheBonifaceOption
11:12p, 4/20/24
In reply to BLSmith04
BLSmith04 said:

TheBonifaceOption said:

Left which is why we put in the righty batter.

There we go. Thank you.
ensign_beedrill
11:43p, 4/20/24
I didn't mind the pinch hit in that situation. What I'm scratching my head about is, if Schloss had decided to pinch hit, why he didn't pinch hit Targac. Targac has been clutch in the past and I think he could've pulled through for us there.
dixichkn
2:59a, 4/21/24
In reply to ensign_beedrill
ensign_beedrill said:

I didn't mind the pinch hit in that situation. What I'm scratching my head about is, if Schloss had decided to pinch hit, why he didn't pinch hit Targac. Targac has been clutch in the past and I think he could've pulled through for us there.
Mentioned already in this thread. While improving as the season goes on, Tar still has way too much swing-and-miss in his game right now. All you're looking for in that situation is contact, a sac fly. The question isn't why not Tar, the question is why pull Sorrell in the first place?
sanaug
4:09a, 4/21/24
IMO...

Am OK with winning 3 of 3 at home and 2 of 3 away in SEC series (e. g. Vandy & bama series). Would be OK with that throughout the remainder of the regular season. Imo there's no need to be upset with that.

Schloss has stated his opinion re doing all he can to win a game when the opportunity presents itself. Deal with future games when they get here. That's OK. So I'm not surprised or upset by his decisions in that area.

In our present circumstances (record, ranking, etc.), I like the idea of using the third game of an away series for experimentation and development after winning the series in the first two games. Don't know if that was going on in the 3rd game at bama, but am OK if it was.

It's a pleasure to be able to delegate difficult tasks to capable people and trust them to do the job well. Glad we have Schloss. He's a breath of fresh air after guys like Jimbo. It's fun to just relax and enjoy.
TexasAggie81
6:33a, 4/21/24
In reply to tjack16
tjack16 said:

Will be really curious to hear the rationale on the pinch-hitting decision today. Hoping he addresses it on the radio show this week.

I suspect we'll hear some "coach speak" about THAT decision and perhaps the use of two ineffective middle relievers … if he addresses those obvious issues at all. You won't ever hear this coach say, "That loss was on me." That kind of admission isn't in his blood. But yesterday's clearly winnable game can easily be deemed a "Schloss loss."
TexasAggie81
6:43a, 4/21/24
In reply to FTAG 2000
FTAG 2000 said:

Let the man work.

We're 40 games into the season. And he hasn't figured out who those "three more pitchers" are? There's probably a reason for that. They're not there. The lack of consistent middle relief is the glaring weakness of this team. It's hot-cold, depending on the game. That's why Schloss is parading some of them out there for less than an effective inning. If a team gets to our starters early, we're in deep trouble. And Omaha, assuming we get there, will expose that weakness unless he gets the bullpen fixed quickly.
Killzone3abc
7:08a, 4/21/24
In reply to TexasAggie81
You sure yap a lot. All 3 games being in 2 days combined with our starters having poor outings, and Schloss experimenting is what did us in. Games are more spread out in Omaha, and that's not a place we'll see Schloss experiment. Still several arms in the pen that were expected to contribute but haven't for one reason or another. Wilson for example looked fantastic preseason, but he ended up hurt which limited his appearances and chance to develop. He also didn't pitch a bad inning a lot of what got him was poor luck in fielding. Wansing is a guy we expected to be a huge asset from the pen and he hurt his back and hasn't been able to go full speed yet for another example. There are arms in the pen that have the potential and just need a spark to get their stuff clicking or need time to stretch out. There are also bats on the bench that should be able to contribute and that includs Binderup who unfortunately just got caught up on that last pitch. By the way Binderup got walked last time he pinch hit which was surely a factor in his selection. It's beyond foolish to just write the team off as having shallow depth. Coach was intentionally trying to experiment and get other guys going and it just didn't work out.
Sean98
7:09a, 4/21/24
In reply to TexasAggie81
TexasAggie81 said:

FTAG 2000 said:

Let the man work.

We're 40 games into the season. And he hasn't figured out who those "three more pitchers" are? There's probably a reason for that. They're not there. The lack of consistent middle relief is the glaring weakness of this team. It's hot-cold, depending on the game. That's why Schloss is parading some of them out there for less than an effective inning. If a team gets to our starters early, we're in deep trouble. And Omaha, assuming we get there, will expose that weakness unless he gets the bullpen fixed quickly.

Did you not watch our opponents or literally any other college team the last two weeks? EVERY team in college baseball has weak middle/long relief in their bullpens. So while you may be right that the best teams will expose weak bullpens that is true for every team, even in Omaha. College relievers are inconsistent almost by default. It's the reason you see colleges go to guys for 3-4 innings and they don't do a lot of matchup swaps. If a reliever comes in and is "on" you leave him in. Because it's 50/50 at best the next guy will be. These are not major league rosters. College pitchers that are consistently consistent are at the front, or very back end of games. In the middle it's all cobbled together and it always will be (at least at 11.7 scholies).
Pumpkinhead
7:15a, 4/21/24
Other than Arkansas, which SEC team would somebody swap A&M's pitching rotation for? I'll hang up and listen.
RED AG 98
7:24a, 4/21/24
In reply to TexasAggie81
TexasAggie81 said:

tjack16 said:

I suspect we'll hear some "coach speak" about THAT decision and perhaps the use of two ineffective middle relievers … if he addresses those obvious issues at all. You won't ever hear this coach say, "That loss was on me." That kind of admission isn't in his blood. But yesterday's clearly winnable game can easily be deemed a "Schloss loss."

You clearly don't listen to very many interviews with our coach because he's not really much for coach speak. He is usually brutally direct; very often speaks directly about decisions and what he might do differently.
Decay
7:26a, 4/21/24
In reply to TexasAggie81
TexasAggie81 said:

tjack16 said:

Clown take. Those ineffective relievers are the pitchers we have. You want him to throw Asch again? Remember he's given up a few bombs himself. Or you prefer we used the guys that struggled today yesterday?

The pinch hitting is more surprising to me but I think we've kinda figured that out. But someone's gotta pitch. And you've gotten the series won already... That's when you try to find your guys.
aginlakeway
7:38a, 4/21/24
In reply to TexasAggie81
TexasAggie81 said:

tjack16 said:

You seem to have a personal agenda against Schloss. No other.explanation for this take. Or are you willing to call the 87% of our games that we've won "Schloss wins?"
TexasAggie81
7:49a, 4/21/24
In reply to aginlakeway
aginlakeway said:

TexasAggie81 said:

tjack16 said:

You seem to have a personal agenda against Schloss. No other.explanation for this take. Or are you willing to call the 87% of our games that we've won "Schloss wins?"

Absolutely! He definitely gets the credit for victories by his teams. No personal agenda at all. I've met the man and fully acknowledge his commitment to baseball. The history of his past teams and this one speaks volumes. He's a great coach. But to hear that he is beyond criticism is preposterous. The man is not a celebrity. He's not a god. He's a college coach. Nothing more, nothing less. He's paid a lot of money to do that job, just like all of us who are working are paid to do our jobs … and are subject to criticism if we miss the mark. I'm just saying that if he is responsible for a loss (as many on this thread have stated), then he needs to own it. Any dispute with that?
tjack16
7:52a, 4/21/24
Do I think it was a mistake by Schloss? Yes and I can count how many he's made IMO probably on one hand in his tenure that I genuinely disagreed with. He's an ELITE coach.

I also don't think it cost us the game like some of y'all are making it out to be. You don't lose a game 10-9 and blame a pinch hit strikeout.
TexasAggie81
7:56a, 4/21/24
In reply to Pumpkinhead
Pumpkinhead said:

Other than Arkansas, which SEC team would somebody swap A&M's pitching rotation for? I'll hang up and listen.

Agreed. But the drop off after Arkansas is substantial. Their pitching … including the bullpen … is scary good. Unfortunately, we have what we have, so what we have needs to step it up big time. I know what he's trying to do with questionable pitchers, and I get it. But when are those pitchers going to start doing what they're supposed to do?
aginlakeway
8:00a, 4/21/24
In reply to TexasAggie81
TexasAggie81 said:

aginlakeway said:

TexasAggie81 said:

tjack16 said:

Absolutely! He definitely gets the credit for victories by his teams. No personal agenda at all. I've met the man and fully acknowledge his commitment to baseball. The history of his past teams and this one speaks volumes. He's a great coach. But to hear that he is beyond criticism is preposterous. The man is not a celebrity. He's not a god. He's a college coach. Nothing more, nothing less. He's paid a lot of money to do that job, just like all of us who are working are paid to do our jobs … and are subject to criticism if we miss the mark. I'm just saying that if he is responsible for a loss (as many on this thread have stated), then he needs to own it. Any dispute with that?

I guess I'm different that most. I rarely credit or blame a coach for a single win or a loss. Too many things a coach can't control within the parameters of one single game. Over the course of a season ... that's different. That gives you an idea as to the quality of a coach.

You seem to want to blame Schloss for things he can't control for one single game. I think looking at the overall body of work this season is more accurate.

You have no way of knowing what would have happened if Schloss had not PH for Sorrell. I blame the 3 hitters who couldn't get the run home from 3rd with no out for us not tying the game more than i blame Schloss.

With that said, you have no way of knowing if we would have won the game even if we would have tied it up.

There were way too many ups and downs in that one game to say the coach lost the game because of a PH decision.

Every team in this country would be very happy with winning.2 of 3 on the road against a ranked conference opponent. One who just beat Arkansas 2 of 3. So again, if you want to call yesterday a "Schloss loss" then you have to call this series a "Schloss series win."
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 61 of 62
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings