Aschenbeck question?
4,301 Views | 44 Replies
MMantle
5:05p, 4/21/24
Seemed strange that Coach used Aschenbeck in the 8th inning of the second game Friday, when we were leading 16-7.

We could have used him in the bottom of the 7th inning Saturday, when we were leading 9-8, that's been his primary (success) role for the past 2 years.

RR
Commander Gorn
5:07p, 4/21/24
While we were ahead big, clinching a ranked road SEC series seemed to be the goal with that
BadMoonRisin
5:09p, 4/21/24
Secure the series at all cost, I guess. Coach said he didnt think we'd play on Saturday, if i recall correctly.
HeyAbbott
5:10p, 4/21/24
Trust Coach Schloss!
jkag89
5:18p, 4/21/24
In reply to Commander Gorn
Commander Gorn said:

While we were ahead big, clinching a ranked road SEC series seemed to be the goal with that
Especially when the weather forecast for Saturday was very iffy in getting the game in.
Bullpen Chias
5:20p, 4/21/24
It is a ***** in our armor. We need to have faith that others in our bully can hold a 7-run lead and conserve Evan. We obviously don't.
greg.w.h
5:40p, 4/21/24
I for one think we need a fan-directed baseball club to compare to our Schloss-directed club. I bet recruiting for the fan-directed club is awful…
AggieBB
5:57p, 4/21/24
I trust Schloss 100% but this is a valid observation. When he put Asch in with a 9 run lead several posters commented on it and said we'd likely need him Saturday. They were right. We sweep if he's available Saturday.

On the other hand I totally get clinching the series. I've already made flight and hotel reservations in Omaha, but if we get there and don't have any relievers that can hold a 9 run lead against Bama, it may be a short trip. Which is crazy to think about because this team is LOADED and no doubt the best team in the country. Bottom line, I trust Schloss but he doesn't have much faith in our pen obviously. That's concerning.
greg.w.h
6:23p, 4/21/24
In reply to AggieBB
Or…he got us this far and isn't fine developing the team and his decisions reflect that. I'm sure he will go with players he's seen step up in actual games. Which is what makes him a scary good coach who is hungry for a CWS championship.
Decay
7:25p, 4/21/24
It was a questionable decision but I don't really blame Schloss. We'd given up a grand slam that day and you're going for the kill. If we're arguing about getting one win versus two it's a totally different story. But the mission was win 2 and protect the #1 ranking. Mission accomplished.
ensign_beedrill
7:28p, 4/21/24
You go all out to win the game you know you can win. Especially with the chance of a series win on the line. You know you have a lead now and using Aschenbeck likely will maintain that lead. You use him and worry about tomorrow tomorrow.

You don't know how tomorrow's going to go. Maybe it's reversed and we're the ones down by 9 in the seventh inning. Then say you didn't use Asch the night before or used him too late and lost. Now you can use him, but he can't score the runs you need to win. Then we're looking at a series loss instead just because you wanted to "save" your best pitcher for a sweep. Unlikely scenario, yes, but why give it a possibility to manifest? Sweeping is nice, but winning the series is more important than sweeping.

This isn't paraphrasing Schloss, but just what I've gleaned his philosophy is from interviews he's done.
LB12Diamond
7:30p, 4/21/24
Sounds like if Schloss thought we had a good chance to play Saturday he would have saved him.
ensign_beedrill
7:32p, 4/21/24
In reply to LB12Diamond
LB12Diamond said:

Sounds like if Schloss thought we had a good chance to play Saturday he would have saved him.
That too. He sounded very doubtful we'd even play on Saturday.
GarryowenAg
8:02p, 4/21/24
Great thread and I appreciate the open-mindedness. As we have seen, posting these sorts of questions on the game threads will get you eviscerated by certain posters.

I was puzzled by the move as well, but after listening to the Schloss interview during the 30min delay where he explained his reasoning, it made perfect sense. He wanted to throw Sarge while we were ahead and could secure the win. His thought was essentially, "what if we don't use if on Friday when we're ahead and could secure the series and end up having to use him in a blowout game on Saturday instead". It made sense and I'm glad he's having to work through all that instead of me.
Serious Lee
9:35p, 4/21/24
did the same thing in the 1st or 2nd game against south carolina. 7 run lead in the 7th. schloss clearly doesnt trust anyone else in the bullpen, despite whatever gaudy stats they might have.
Sea Pony 07
10:25p, 4/21/24
This is just my opinion, but I like that we are prioritizing the series win over the sweep. I'm not saying that sweeping isn't important, but the series win is what will keep us in the top 8. Though if we do keep the 1 spot, I have full confidence that this team can beat the curse.
SchizoAg
10:43p, 4/21/24
In reply to GarryowenAg
Agreed, I don't understand why there's such a strong urge to shut up anyone who wants to talk baseball. Pitching strategy is a legitimate topic of conversation, about which there can be disagreements even among people who think that, overall, Schlossnagle is doing a great job.
BoerneGator
11:06p, 4/21/24
In reply to MMantle
Willing to bet Schloss has second-guessed his own decision, and even regrets it, truth be known.

In retrospect, the situation in game 2 Friday was an ideal opportunity to trust one (or more) of the other arms (that he used on Saturday) to finish the game with a 9 run cushion (before he had to resort to Sarge). Some of us thought so at the time (never mind we didn't feel the need to express it on the game thread).

As has been clearly stated, we're gonna need several more pitchers to step up and share the load. I look forward to seeing them emerge, because I'm convinced they exist.
Jdub2001
11:37p, 4/21/24
Maybe he is wanting to put some other guys in pressure situations so they are prepared when they need to be. It is different pitching in a 1 run game vs being up 9.

We are not guaranteed tomorrow in anything we do.

Secure the series win and move on.
twk
7:51a, 4/22/24
In reply to Serious Lee
Serious Lee said:

did the same thing in the 1st or 2nd game against south carolina. 7 run lead in the 7th. schloss clearly doesnt trust anyone else in the bullpen, despite whatever gaudy stats they might have.
Aschenbeck has been excellent, but he's not unhittable. The great thing about him is that, even when he gives up a home run, it's a solo shot because he doesn't walk folks. So, when we've got a lead of several runs, and several innings to chew up, Schloss likes to put that win in his pocket by going to Aschenbeck.

Cortez has the best stuff out of the bullpen, and Schloss wants to keep bringing him along to the point that he can bring him in for the highest leverage situations. If you were in a tie ball game in the bottom of the 9th, and the other team had the winning run at 3rd with less than two outs (a situation where you need a strikeout, and length doesn't matter), I think he might go with Cortez over Aschenbeck. Even if it would be a hard choice right now, I think that's what Schloss is driving for as his long term plan.

Sdao has had some great outings, and is particularly valuable against a lefty dominant team like Bama, but we may need him to start if Lamkin's current trend continues.
FTAG 2000
7:57a, 4/22/24
We weren't up nine when we put him in, for starters.

Second, Schloss said he didnt think they would play on Saturday due to weather so he was going for the series clinch.

Can't believe people are pouting about this.
Sea Pony 07
7:58a, 4/22/24
In reply to twk
I would like to see Sdao start Sunday and even though is short rest this week, I'd like to see Lamkin in the midweek starting role for a week or two.
dermdoc
7:59a, 4/22/24
In reply to twk
twk said:

Serious Lee said:

Aschenbeck has been excellent, but he's not unhittable. The great thing about him is that, even when he gives up a home run, it's a solo shot because he doesn't walk folks. So, when we've got a lead of several runs, and several innings to chew up, Schloss likes to put that win in his pocket by going to Aschenbeck.

Cortez has the best stuff out of the bullpen, and Schloss wants to keep bringing him along to the point that he can bring him in for the highest leverage situations. If you were in a tie ball game in the bottom of the 9th, and the other team had the winning run at 3rd with less than two outs (a situation where you need a strikeout, and length doesn't matter), I think he might go with Cortez over Aschenbeck. Even if it would be a hard choice right now, I think that's what Schloss is driving for as his long term plan.

Sdao has had some great outings, and is particularly valuable against a lefty dominant team like Bama, but we may need him to start if Lamkin's current trend continues.
Agree completely.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
LB12Diamond
9:41a, 4/22/24
Schloss made a great point on the Bama lineup.

Yes, they are loaded with lefties. But they know how to hit lefty pitching bc they get to go against it a lot with their own pitchers. That's the reason the Bama coach has no issues putting them all together. They also are a very experienced team with a lot of older players. Said that their lineup is harder to go against than the Gators.
aggielax48
9:43a, 4/22/24
Asch only threw 34 pitches so not sure its an issue of availability as much as it was pitcher choice. Just didn't work out.
dermdoc
10:28a, 4/22/24
In reply to LB12Diamond
LB12Diamond said:

Schloss made a great point on the Bama lineup.

Yes, they are loaded with lefties. But they know how to hit lefty pitching bc they get to go against it a lot with their own pitchers. That's the reason the Bama coach has no issues putting them all together. They also are a very experienced team with a lot of older players. Said that their lineup is harder to go against than the Gators.

Bama can flat out hit. They could be a real problem in a regional if they get any quality pitching at all.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
ThunderFighter06
10:31a, 4/22/24
Since we're all voicing our opinions I'll chime in too! I think it was the right call to use Ash in game two. It's more important to secure the series win. That's what matters most. IMO, it essentially makes the third game a consolation match for the losing team. Just my two cents!
trouble
10:32a, 4/22/24
In reply to aggielax48
aggielax48 said:

Asch only threw 34 pitches so not sure its an issue of availability as much as it was pitcher choice. Just didn't work out.

This. It's not like he was unavailable Saturday.
aginlakeway
10:32a, 4/22/24
https://texags.com/s/58914/jim-schlossnagles-aggies-return-to-blue-bell-to-host-houston-georgia/25

He answers all of the questions.
Gyles Marrett
11:05a, 4/22/24
In reply to Commander Gorn
Commander Gorn said:

To be honest, if the rest of our bullpen can't get 6 outs before they score 9 runs then we don't deserve to win that series.
aginlakeway
11:12a, 4/22/24
In reply to Gyles Marrett
Gyles Marrett said:

Commander Gorn said:

To be honest, if the rest of our bullpen can't get 6 outs before they score 9 runs then we don't deserve to win that series.

Did you listen to why Schloss pitched him?
BoerneGator
11:15a, 4/22/24
No sane person would argue that "winning the series" is NOT tantamount. Therefore, even bringing it up is a non sequitur. The suggestion that the likelihood that another pitcher might well have secured the win on Friday game 2, leaving a fully rested Ashenbeck for the final game Saturday was optimum. That scenario does NOT preclude using him later in game 2, had the absolute need arisen... THAT is the suggestion, and what should be the subject of any debate. NOT whether or not winning game 2 was the priority.
Sean98
11:16a, 4/22/24
In reply to Gyles Marrett
Gyles Marrett said:

Commander Gorn said:

I wasn't about to follow along in real time but if I remember right he came in with about a 6 run lead and runners on base didn't he? So with the wind blowing out it was in real danger of being a 3 run game.
trouble
11:22a, 4/22/24
In reply to Sean98
correct
jkag89
11:29a, 4/22/24
In reply to Sean98
Sean98 said:

Gyles Marrett said:

Commander Gorn said:

I wasn't about to follow along in real time but if I remember right he came in with about a 6 run lead and runners on base didn't he? So with the wind blowing out it was in real danger of being a 3 run game.
And it wasn't in the eighth inning, it was the sixth inning. Seems to me many making the criticism were not even watching the since they seem unable to recall the situation. Is it valid to argue that maybe to pitch someone else in once the lead was opened up in the eighth? Sure, especially if were necessary to win both but since it was not I'll trust Schloss positioning the team to meet its long term goals.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 2
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings