This Weekend in the SEC (5/2 - 5/5)
15,409 Views | 151 Replies
jkag89
12:00a, 5/2/24
SEC Standings

All Times Central - The Poll used D1 Baseball

Thursday May 2nd
#3 Tennessee at Florida (PPD to 5/3 due to inclement weather)

Friday May 3rd
Final: #3 Tennessee 6 - Florida 2 Box Score
Final: #3 Tennessee 3 - Florida 4 Box Score (DH)
Final: #17 Vandy 0 - #19 Georgia 10 (7) Box Score
Final: #2 Arkansas 10 - #8 Kentucky 3 Box Score
Final #23 Bama 3 - #16 Mississippi St. 13 (7) Box Score
Final: Ole Miss 11 - Auburn 7 Box Score
Final: #15 South Carolina 10 - Mizzou 2 Box Score
Final: #1 Fightin' Texas Aggies 4 - LSU 6 Box Score

Saturday May 4th
Final: #2 Arkansas 3 - #8 Kentucky 11 Box Score
Final: #17 Vandy 4 - #19 Georgia 14 (8) Box Score
Final: #23 Bama 1 - #16 Mississippi St. 8 Box Score
Final: #15 South Carolina 3 - Mizzou 8 Box Score
Final: #3 Tennessee 16 - Florida 3 (7) Box Score
Final: #1 Fightin' Texas Aggies 4 - LSU 6 Box Score
Final: Ole Miss 5 - Auburn 4 Box Score

Sunday May 5th
Final: #2 Arkansas 4 - #8 Kentucky 7 Box Score
Final: #17 Vandy 7 - #19 Georgia 11 Box Score
Final: #23 Bama 10 - #16 Mississippi St. 5 Box Score
Final: #1 Fightin' Texas Aggies 14 - LSU 4 Box Score
Final: #15 South Carolina 9 - Mizzou 4 Box Score
Final: Ole Miss 9 - Auburn 10 Box Score

Other Regional Games of Possible Interest
Friday May 3rd

Final: Rice 4 - Charlotte 5 Box Score
Final: Rice 3 - Charlotte 9 Box Score (DH)
Final: Northwestern St. 8 - Lamar 4 Box Score
Final: Old Dominion 4 - Texas St. 18 (7) Box Score
Final: Central Florida 4 - Cougar High 1 Box Score
Jacksonville St. 9 - Dallas Baptist 10 (Game suspended T9 with 2 outs nobody on, resume 5/5)
Final: #14 Okie State 5 - t.u. 7 Box Score
Final: #22 Oklahoma 8 - tech 0 Box Score
Final: Tarleton St. 6 - Sam Houston St. 9 Box Score
Final: TCU 7 - Baylor 1 Box Score

Saturday May 4th
Final: Jacksonville St. 9 - Dallas Baptist 10 Box Score (Resumption of suspended game)
Final: Jacksonville St. 12 - Dallas Baptist 11 Box Score
Final: #22 Oklahoma 7 - tech 5 Box Score
Final: TCU 9 - Baylor 7 (11) Box Score
Final: #14 Okie State 3 - t.u. 6 Box Score
Final: Old Dominion 6 - Texas St. 8 Box Score
Final: Old Dominion 7 - Texas St. 4 Box Score (DH)
Rice at Charlotte (PPD to 5/5 due to rain)
Final: Tarleton St. 2 - Sam Houston St. 3 Box Score
Final: Tarleton St. 1 - Sam Houston St. 2 (10) Box Score
Final: Northwestern St. 2 - Lamar 9 Box Score
Final: Central Florida 6 - Cougar High 4 Box Score

Sunday May 5th
Final: Rice 8 - Charlotte 5 Box Score
Central Florida at Cougar High (Cancelled due to lightning and travel curfew)
Final: Jacksonville St. 4 - Dallas Baptist 5 Box Score
Final: Northwestern St. 1 - Lamar 7 Box Score
Final: #14 Okie State 7 - t.u. 2 Box Score
Final: TCU 10 - Baylor 6 Box Score
Final: #22 Oklahoma 8 - tech 7 Box Score
RED AG 98
12:22a, 5/2/24
Thanks jkag! Things are shaping up but there are some really big series left. Even so there will be a bit more clarity after this weekend. Remaining series for each of the top 4 teams. Can't wait.

5/2 SEC
#1 Texas A&M (#1 RPI, 15-6)
at LSU (7-14)
at Ole Miss (7-14)
vs #2 Arkansas (16-5)

#2 Arkansas #2 (#2 RPI, 16-5)
at #4 Kentucky (16-5)
vs Miss St (12-9)
at #1 Texas A&M (15-6)

#3 Tennessee (#8 RPI, 15-6)
at Florida (9-12)
at #11 Vandy (11-10)
vs #24 S Car (11-10)

#8 Kentucky (#3 RPI, 16-5)
vs #2 Arkansas (16-5)
at Florida (9-12)
vs #11 Vandy (11-10)
Aggie12B
1:22a, 5/2/24
Thanks for doing this thread every week, John.
We Really appreciate it
cablinaggie
7:37a, 5/2/24
In reply to RED AG 98
Nights like Friday are what ESPN Multicast was meant for.
W
7:38a, 5/2/24
it's interesting looking back now...

Arkansas began conference play with Missouri, Auburn, LSU, and Ole Miss -- the 4 worst teams in the league

no wonder the Hogs got off to a fast start

perhaps hard to believe...but Arkansas only has 1 series win vs. a surefire regional team: South Carolina

(Florida is a bubble team)

------

same story for Kentucky

started league play vs. Georgia, Missouri, Alabama, Ole Miss, and Auburn

Kentucky only has 2 series wins vs. surefire regional teams: UGA and Bama
ChemEng94
9:17a, 5/2/24
In reply to W
Now that we have the benefit of hindsight, it is becoming clearer that Arkansas and Kentucky are very good teams that benefited from a favorable schedule to start play. The question is are they elite?

Right now, if I was doing the power rankings, I would have the Top 4 in the SEC as:

A&M
UT
UA
UK

I think UT is the most complete team besides us. They have good pitching and elite offense. We are very similar teams.

Arkansas will go as far as their hitting takes them. They have elite pitching, but so far their offense has been average at best. If their bats get hot, however, watch out. And no one is going to want to face them in a super regional knowing that they have the best starting pitcher in college baseball.

I think UK is a very good team, but I think they are definitely the weakest of the Big 4. Will be interesting to see how things shake out for the rest of the season.
RED AG 98
9:27a, 5/2/24
In reply to ChemEng94
ChemEng94 said:

Now that we have the benefit of hindsight, it is becoming clearer that Arkansas and Kentucky are very good teams that benefited from a favorable schedule to start play. The question is are they elite?

Right now, if I was doing the power rankings, I would have the Top 4 in the SEC as:

A&M
UT
UA
UK

I think UT is the most complete team besides us. They have good pitching and elite offense. We are very similar teams.

Arkansas will go as far as their hitting takes them. They have elite pitching, but so far their offense has been average at best. If their bats get hot, however, watch out. And no one is going to want to face them in a super regional knowing that they have the best starting pitcher in college baseball.

I think UK is a very good team, but I think they are definitely the weakest of the Big 4. Will be interesting to see how things shake out for the rest of the season.
Arkansas is elite, but definitely more out of balance wrt to pitching vs hitting. Their offense isn't bad, but it isn't elite. Let's see how they handle the UK offense this week and then us to close out the season. Elite pitching and even just mediocre but timely hitting will win a lot of games.
Sean98
10:03a, 5/2/24
In reply to RED AG 98
RED AG 98 said:

ChemEng94 said:

I think UK is a very good team, but I think they are definitely the weakest of the Big 4. Will be interesting to see how things shake out for the rest of the season.Arkansas is elite, but definitely more out of balance wrt to pitching vs hitting. Their offense isn't bad, but it isn't elite. Let's see how they handle the UK offense this week and then us to close out the season. Elite pitching and even just mediocre but timely hitting will win a lot of games.

I think Arkie is a team built for Omaha. ...not a team BUILT to get to Omaha, but a team built to play in a park like TD/Schwab. It's a cavern. They give up some fly balls that leave parks like the Box, Olsen, etc. but are probably still in play in TD.

The question will be "can they survive Regionals/Supers" in a smaller park to get to the big one and flourish. Obviously they'd rather hit .280 instead of .211 so that's not part of the plan, but if they can make it to the CWS that pitching should play.

The good news for us, despite the fact that we hit a lot of homers is that we also hit a lot of doubles, or HRs in Olsen that will still be doubles in TD. Compare that to Florida who hit more wall scraping pop fly HRs in that first series than I've ever seen. I be the average distance of our HRs that week and theirs was 50 feet difference, and that's including a few absolute bombs by Cags. In TD Ameritrade half of their HRs would be lazy fly ball outs.

I don't think we're at a disadvantage in Omaha, but I think WooPig may see a nice bump in productivity there.
RED AG 98
10:04a, 5/2/24
In reply to cablinaggie
cablinaggie said:

I only wish there were 2 series tonight so we could watch MOAR! All the things will be happening tomorrow.
RED AG 98
10:11a, 5/2/24
In reply to Sean98
Really good points here. If you've listened to D1 stuff this week, they tend to think they are deeper and better at every pitching spot than us except for slight lean Asch. I want to see what their pitching does this weekend AT Kentucky and the week AT Olsen. In between they get Miss St, which is a middle of the SEC offense with basically zero power.
twk
11:02a, 5/2/24
In reply to Sean98
Quote:

The question will be "can they survive Regionals/Supers" in a smaller park to get to the big one and flourish. Obviously they'd rather hit .280 instead of .211 so that's not part of the plan, but if they can make it to the CWS that pitching should play.
Arkansas's park is somewhat pitcher friendly. Faces SE like the park in Omaha, and has legit dimensions. If they get a strong SE wind, it's definitely a pitcher's park.
dermdoc
11:41a, 5/2/24
In reply to Sean98
Playing at Olsen is a big advantage for us.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
W
12:53p, 5/2/24
In reply to Sean98
this is spot on

the regional/SR round is where Arkansas is vulnerable

edit...where they can get overwhelmed by a hot-hitting team...like last year vs. TCU
jkag89
6:07p, 5/2/24
W
6:54p, 5/2/24
so the #1 ranked team in the country is in Baton Rouge this weekend...

a few notes about the series...

- there has never been a sweep in SEC play. It's always gone 2 of 3 for one team or the other

- the road team has won each series since the pandemic. LSU in 2019 was the last home team to prevail

- A&M has won the series twice in BR -- in 2017 and 2022 -- coinciding with the Ags' last 2 trips to the CWS
RED AG 98
7:03p, 5/2/24
In reply to W
Oooooh, lots to like in this note!
W
7:10p, 5/2/24
the Ags (39-6) are 1 win away from a 40-win regular season

the program's most recent 40-win regular seasons were in 2015 and 2016

the 2015 team finished the regular season at 43-10. The 2016 club finished at 41-13

going further back...

the 2012 team went 41-14 in the regular season

the 2011 CWS squad did not get their 40th win until the Big 12 tournament
jkag89
7:19p, 5/2/24
Sean98
8:04p, 5/2/24
In reply to cablinaggie
cablinaggie said:

Is this actually a real thing?
RED AG 98
8:06p, 5/2/24
In reply to Sean98
Sean98 said:

cablinaggie said:

Is this actually a real thing?
On Apple TV and Xbox. Basically just allows you to choose your own Picture in Picture kind of setup.
I want year round ESPN Bases Loaded...

Multicast & One-Click Multicast for Apple TV and Xbox ESPN Fan Support
jkag89
8:14p, 5/2/24
RED AG 98
8:15p, 5/2/24
BYU has tied Miami 2-2 T9. Still batting with 1 out and 2 on.

edit 1: Free baseball in Miami. 2-2 E9
edit 2: to the 11th, 2-2
edit 3: to the 12th, 2-2
edit 4: Canes walk it off -- BYU 2, Canes 3 F/12
cablinaggie
9:06p, 5/2/24
In reply to Sean98
Yeah it's great. I have Apple TV:

RED AG 98
9:15p, 5/2/24
In reply to cablinaggie
Agreed. I have ATV as well and it's great. There are several different layout options but I usually do 4up like your picture.

NukeAg10
10:57a, 5/3/24
Just looked at the ELO rankings for the first time in a couple weeks...

Ags are still 1, but SEC is 9 of the top 17. It's been said too many times, but SEC baseball is insanity.
dabo man
12:26p, 5/3/24
Apple TV looks intriguing, but I can't really watch four games on a 49" set from the other side of a large bedroom.

I still have a dream of four actual TVs on the same wall. If they were big enough I could get Apple TV and watch four games on each!
RED AG 98
12:28p, 5/3/24
In reply to dabo man
Or two on each. Or 1 large and 3 small on the side. It's a really cool feature. And the audio instantly moves to whichever you highlight.
RED AG 98
12:43p, 5/3/24
Most of the day games are blowouts so far. Anyone watching anything interesting at the moment?
RGLAG85
12:49p, 5/3/24
How about a 9'x16' LED monitor? Get to watch my son on occasion on it.

When we get to the regionals, I have an 82" in my family room and can bring out 2 65" to put on the floor underneath it. Wife grumbles but knows it's an annual ritual.
dabo man
12:52p, 5/3/24
In reply to RED AG 98
It isn't interesting, and the bright Clemson orange HURTS MY EYES.

I'm just killing time until Tennessee at Florida.
RED AG 98
12:55p, 5/3/24
In reply to dabo man
Same. That particular orange is so hot on the screen it almost looks out of white balance...
RED AG 98
12:55p, 5/3/24
In reply to RGLAG85
9' x 16'? or 9" x 16"?
RGLAG85
12:58p, 5/3/24
In reply to RED AG 98
RED AG 98 said:

9' x 16'? or 9" x 16"?

It wasn't a mistype. Feet
RGLAG85
1:00p, 5/3/24
In reply to RED AG 98
jkag89
1:04p, 5/3/24
In reply to dabo man
The whole Clemson color scheme just ain't right, orange and purple? What were they thinking?
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 5
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings