Montgomery question
3,184 Views | 25 Replies
agspirit_09
8:57a, 5/4/24
I've seen a couple people throw around the "slump" word, and while he had a down game yesterday offensively, do y'all really think it's a slump?

I will say I have noticed that when we're in a situation where we NEED runs, he seems like he's swinging for the fences instead of relaxing and hitting what the pitcher gives him. When he just relaxes and lets the game come to him, he's much more effective
jkag89
9:14a, 5/4/24
If two games without a hit is a slump, he is in a slump. I guess it can be extended to three if the hat trick overrides the two hits in the final Georgia game.
greg.w.h
9:17a, 5/4/24
He's seeing better pitching. I think they all need to play more fungo golf myself…getting inside your own head while hitting is the slow death.
agspirit_09
9:27a, 5/4/24
In reply to greg.w.h
greg.w.h said:

He's seeing better pitching. I think they all need to play more fungo golf myself…getting inside your own head while hitting is the slow death.

I agree. I feel like I'm seeing that from him. I don't know if I would call it a slump, but I'm worried he is feeling the pressure of being this home run hitting machine
dabo man
9:30a, 5/4/24
I don't think two games without a hit is a slump. I don't start thinking "slump" until about four games.
Sean98
9:32a, 5/4/24
His pitch selection seems to be a little off the last 5 games or so. And then when he tried to be selective he gets rung up on borderline pitches which surely doesn't help the mental approach.

When you're an immortal any little glitch looks like a slump. He'll be fine. I'd tell him how to fix it but he is capable of doing things I can't even begin to comprehend so I can't.
Capitol Ag
9:39a, 5/4/24
In reply to Sean98
Sean98 said:

His pitch selection seems to be a little off the last 5 games or so. And then when he tried to be selective he gets rung up on borderline pitches which surely doesn't help the mental approach.

When you're an immortal any little glitch looks like a slump. He'll be fine. I'd tell him how to fix it but he is capable of doing things I can't even begin to comprehend so I can't.

Agree. Not a slump at all. But when you get rung up for taking an obvious ball as the last pitch, that's not on him other than if you'd take the position that in your last strike you almost always foul it off to stay alive but seriously, most take that obvious ball there. Not even sure, given how big it appeared upon my first watching, that it would have been easy to foul off. Blue wanted to go home, imo.

Braden looked fine last weekend and it's literally Tuesday and Friday that has been a "drought". I'll wager he gets back to form b4 the weekend is over. Especially if the ump calls pitches correctly and the pitcher isn't cheating (UGA pitcher "fondling" himself in bullpen Saturday night).
dabo man
9:44a, 5/4/24
I think 90% of the ball/strike complaints on this board are maroon goggle induced, but the pitch Monty struck out looking at was high and might have been outside as well. Don't know who was in the bucket last night, but it wasn't a great performance.
Sean98
9:46a, 5/4/24
In reply to dabo man
dabo man said:

I think 90% of the ball/strike complaints on this board are maroon google induced, but the pitch Monty struck out looking at was high and might have been outside as well. Don't know who was in the bucket last night, but it wasn't a great performance.
Scott Cline. He's s*** and has been for his whole career.
agspirit_09
9:51a, 5/4/24
In reply to dabo man
dabo man said:

I think 90% of the ball/strike complaints on this board are maroon google induced, but the pitch Monty struck out looking at was high and might have been outside as well. Don't know who was in the bucket last night, but it wasn't a great performance.

That's funny you say it was high and might have been outside. I said the exact opposite last night… it was DEFINITELY outside and might have been a little high as well
The Marksman
9:52a, 5/4/24
In reply to dabo man
dabo man said:

I need this to exist
Muktheduck
9:59a, 5/4/24
Whatever your definition, he's certainly cooled off.

It happens to everyone, and I'm perfectly fine with it occurring now and not 3 weeks from now
dabo man
10:00a, 5/4/24
In reply to agspirit_09
When something looks outside to a right hander (or inside to a lefty), keep in mind that the CF camera's off-center position is pushing the ball left on your screen. That's why I said might have been outside. Uncertain if the offset accounted for the entire amount the ball looked to be off the plate.
RED AG 98
10:14a, 5/4/24
In reply to dabo man
There is definitely a lot of this going on. It's not always the same.

threeanout
10:40a, 5/4/24
What are his split stats.....batting right compared to left?
Thisguy1
10:47a, 5/4/24
In reply to RED AG 98
I've always loved Tampa Bay's camera angle. I can still remember the first time I saw it when David Price was pitching and thinking I could watch this all day.
cs69ag
10:48a, 5/4/24
On the broadcast last night, they said only 5 of his 23 home runs are from
batting right handed. Did not address batting average.
Sean98
11:41a, 5/4/24
In reply to The Marksman
The Marksman said:

dabo man said:

I need this to exist
I tried it last week... No matter what question you ask it just returns a photo of Johnny Football in a Scooby Doo costume with a hot blonde on his arm.
MEEN Ag 05
11:56a, 5/4/24
In reply to dabo man
dabo man said:

When something looks outside to a right hander (or inside to a lefty), keep in mind that the CF camera's off-center position is pushing the ball left on your screen. That's why I said might have been outside. Uncertain if the offset accounted for the entire amount the ball looked to be off the plate.

True. I typically watch how the catcher tries to frame it. On the last pitch the catcher brought it down and in quite a bit.
whatthehey78
1:32p, 5/4/24
IMHO, he's trying too hard. Needs to relax and just concentrate on getting on base instead of hitting the long ball.
StinkyPinky
1:54p, 5/4/24
He needs to picture the pitcher in only his underwear.
12thMan9
2:04p, 5/4/24
In reply to dabo man
dabo man said:

I think 90% of the ball/strike complaints on this board are maroon google induced

Boy you sure underestimated that.
Ronnie '88
Bryanisbest
3:30p, 5/4/24
In reply to Sean98
Sean98 said:

dabo man said:

Scott Cline. He's s*** and has been for his whole career.

Last pitch of game to Braden was high outside. Catcher testified as he "framed" the pitch when he pulled his mitt down and in after catch. Was not close to being a strike.
JW1612
3:49p, 5/4/24
In reply to threeanout
They said in one of the broadcast recently it was like .385 left handed and 3.15 right handed
Luke The Drifter
5:39p, 5/4/24
Montgomery needs to hang out with Mark Grace for a little bit. Get things back on track.
But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
jrodwh00p
10:28p, 5/4/24
attention is not always a great thing. pressure can get overwhelming for these guys and it becomes technical rather than feel.
..The history of the world is that of religion. Violent faith, in either God or Man has shed an endless river of blood. It is not a matter of what you can live without, but which allows you the freedom to be indifferent..

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings