Hard to be better than perfect
2,544 Views | 25 Replies
Sq 17
10:55p, 5/9/24
That being said what other schools have comparable OOC records and was our slate of OOC competition reasonable. Obviously if tu, rice and U of H were better that would help our SOS
dabo man
10:59p, 5/9/24
In reply to Sq 17
Our SOS is 16 of 305. Playing a super regional each weekend takes care of it by this time of the year.
Sq 17
5:46a, 5/10/24
I was curious about our OOC SOS
Being undefeated is impressive because the nature of baseball just curious what other teams were near perfect and how their schedules compared
you moran
6:19a, 5/10/24
D1 Baseball RPI Report has the info you seek.

Ags were the only team to go undefeated in non-conference games. Non-con rpi of 6.

https://d1baseball.com/nitty-gritty/
Sean98
6:36a, 5/10/24
In reply to you moran
But Non-con SOS of 139. Winning them all really helps obviously, but it wasn't exactly a murderers row.
you moran
6:38a, 5/10/24
In reply to Sean98
So?
you moran
6:41a, 5/10/24
Oh wait. Meant to use the light bulb.
Sq 17
6:48a, 5/10/24
In reply to Sean98
Sean98 said:

But Non-con SOS of 139. Winning them all really helps obviously, but it wasn't exactly a murderers row.

Thanks that is some of the info I was
Looking for
I believe I have read that The Vols have a truly atrocious OOC slate, it seems like the Ags have played most of the better teams within a 150 mile radius

You guys that follow closely know this stuff or can find it one or two clicks The internet is great but finding small details like that can be difficult. I also was hoping to start a discussion about just how good The Ags perfect OOC mark was
Sean98
6:49a, 5/10/24
In reply to you moran
So he asked what our SOS was and you responded with RPI of 6.

Any time your weekend or season ends when x-0 it's good. But if our OOC SOS was 39 instead of 139 it might not be a "0." I'm fine with it. We need chances early in the season to tinker with the lineup and let the kids play. Because it's unlikely you get to tinker mid-conference schedule.
you moran
7:22a, 5/10/24
He asked how our record compared. 6 rpi (for non-con) is how it compares. Whether you think rpi is worth a sh*t or not (I can say the same about SOS). It attempts to factor it all. I gave him all the info with the link.
you moran
7:23a, 5/10/24
Oh yeah, lightbulb.
you moran
7:27a, 5/10/24
Also, read Hop's article, op. I think it's still on the first page and may have some relevance for a broader discussion and correlation or lack thereof to post-season success.
Luke The Drifter
7:44a, 5/10/24
We (sort of) tried to schedule some tough non-conference games, but it didn't pan out. I'm sure Schloss thought Arizona State, USC, maybe Houston and even Texas would be better than they are. We did get an unexpected bump out of Lamar, but that's just one game.

The weekend series vs. McNeese, Wagner, and Rhode Island were terrible. I'm not saying we should have put in Clemson in place of one of them, but we need to schedule at least a little better on those opening weekends…even if it means a weekend road trip.
But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
TexasLeaguer
7:45a, 5/10/24
Arizona State, USC, and Houston hurt our OOC SOS. If those programs are not "bad" this year then our OOC SOS is probably significantly higher.
greg.w.h
8:38a, 5/10/24
In reply to Sean98
Sean98 said:

We are in Murderer's Row Conference. We took care of business perfectly. Ignoring that rpi is imperfect for "reasons", it still tracks neatly with seeding for host sites for the season.

What exactly is the point of borrowing trouble from tomorrow? Each day has enough of its own after all…
Tex100
8:41a, 5/10/24
In reply to you moran
you moran said:

Oh wait. Meant to use the light bulb.
user name fits
Sq 17
8:44a, 5/10/24
In reply to TexasLeaguer
Throw tu and Rice onto that list
To summarize the schedule had some good teams on it that just weren't good this year

And if those team for a better we'd probably be sitting at strength of schedule may be in the 80s or 90s
Tex100
8:47a, 5/10/24
The out of conference strength of schedules are probably upside down. Weaker conference schools want to schedule stronger teams to improve their SOS and stronger conferences play them to give playing time to guys not getting playing time in the weekend games.
Sean98
9:03a, 5/10/24
In reply to Sq 17
Sq 17 said:

Throw tu and Rice onto that list
To summarize the schedule had some good teams on it that just weren't good this year

And if those team for a better we'd probably be sitting at strength of schedule may be in the 80s or 90s
Rice has been dogsh** for more than a decade so that one doesn't for the narrative. The rest certainly do. The Texas win is getting better, the Sam and Lamar wins are getting worse as the season progresses. No one could have predicted that the PAC teams would be so bad and that's exacerbated by virtually every PAC team being even worse.

I think an OOC schedule of 100 is about right when you play in the SEC. What you really need to avoid is the 150+ and particularly 200+ like Duke has. That's a real killer come committee time (or should be).
jsc8116
9:19a, 5/10/24
I believe we are also the only team undefeated in Quad 2-4 games, only losses on the season were in Quad 1.
Sq 17
9:47a, 5/10/24
In reply to Sean98
I knew Rice had faded as a program and it has been awhile since they were good. Their RPI is 180 if it was 120 that would be better. But very possibly they have been a quad 3/4 team for awhile
TheBonifaceOption
1:05p, 5/10/24
I don't care what the SOS is at because it matters if you win. Imagine for instance these 4 teams:

A) SoS 200, 20-0
B) SoS 100, 15-5, losses to #20, 40, 50, 55, 60 (no losses to low RPI)
C) SoS 1, 10-10, losses and wins evenly distributed
D) SoS 200, 19-1, single loss to #250

How would you order them?
Sean98
2:13p, 5/10/24
In reply to jsc8116
jsc8116 said:

I believe we are also the only team undefeated in Quad 2-4 games, only losses on the season were in Quad 1.
I don't particularly love how they've changed Quad designations either. Way too much emphasis on road games. For 2024 the quads are as follows:

Quad 1 is home games against teams 1-25 in RPI, neutral games against 1-40 and road games against 1-60. Quad 2 is home games against 26-50, neutral games against 41-80 and road games against 61-120. Quad 3 is home games against 51-100, neutral games against 81-160 and road games against 121-240. Quad 4 is home games against 101+, neutral games against 161+ and road games against 241+.

Effectively losing at home to #26 is the same as losing in the road to #61. That's far too much emphasis on location.
NE PA Ag
2:44p, 5/10/24
It's baseball. It's hard to win all games against a set of your competition unless it's always against the Lipscombs of the world...oh yeah, that's not easy either if you ask current #1.
Sean98
2:53p, 5/10/24
In reply to jsc8116
Dp
you moran
5:53p, 5/17/24
Moving on up. Warren Nolan shows our non-con rpi at #1 with an SOS of 115 (nice little bump from where it was when this thread was made). D1's Nitty Gritty RPI has us at #4 non-con rpi and SOS of 117 (still a nice bump up).

Arizona St, USC and Lamar have all moved up in rpi the last 7 days. Haven't checked the rest. Unbeaten club membership has it's privileges. However, more importantly, let's beat some Arky azz and keep that #1 overall rpi.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings