Door-to-door salesmen/solicitors
3,188 Views | 39 Replies
TequilaMockingbird
1:05p, 5/6/24
GET OFF MY PORCH!

Seriously, does anyone actually buy anything from these people?
FIDO*98*
1:11p, 5/6/24
Absolutely.........as long as they have Thin Mints
TheHappyCouch-potato
1:12p, 5/6/24
The Mormons showed up to my door a couple of weeks back. I was baked off of my ass and burst out laughing when they said they wanted to talk to me about Jesus. I said "We'll get together, but some other time," and shut the door in their faces.
NoahAg
1:16p, 5/6/24
Meh, I don't mind as long as they're polite. You know, you don't have to answer the door.
I've never actually had Mormons stop by. Jehovah's Witness used to come to our old house. They were always really nice (and well dressed). Crazy theology tho.
Caesar4
1:24p, 5/6/24
I've been looking for a sign for years that has just the right message. Something like:

No soliciting, except for neighborhood kids.

And, the sign needs to be sturdy and weather-resistant.

To be sure, no way in heck would I buy something pricey (windows, roofing, tree-trimming, etc) from what's essentially a cold-call. I'll get my own recommendations/etc.

I usually try to be polite and just decline with a "No thanks". Sometimes I have to exaggerate and say "We're moving". That usually gets rid of them.

But, sometimes they come back with "our warranty is transferable to the new owner". So, those times, I just say "I have to report to prison tomorrow so I have other things on my mind".
IIIHorn
2:08p, 5/6/24

I in the Jehovah's Witness Protection Program

I have to go door to door telling people I'm someone else.

- Steven Wright

GIF Reactor
2:21p, 5/6/24
MAROON
2:39p, 5/6/24
Sea Speed
2:54p, 5/6/24
2 houses ago we would get solicitors ALL THE TIME even after putting up a no soliciting sign. The worst offenders would come back after my wife told them to go away. My wife is a kind and gentle person but when the same woman knocked two separate times, both times waking up our baby at the time due to dogs barking because of the doorbell, i may have had to dispose of a body.
Know Your Enemy
3:13p, 5/6/24
In reply to FIDO*98*
FIDO*98* said:

Absolutely.........as long as they have Thin Mints

Wait. You don't make a superior one at home with your own recipe?
Ragoo
3:20p, 5/6/24
The worst are the solar panel guys.
Ginormus Ag
3:58p, 5/6/24
LOL! Poors that don't live in a guard gated neighborhood.
AgsMyDude
4:03p, 5/6/24
In reply to Ragoo
Ragoo said:

Nah the roofers that drive by after a hail storm hits the neighborhood
Alte Schule
4:18p, 5/6/24
In reply to Ragoo
Ragoo said:

For me the worst are the roofing contractors. After any storm that might produce minuscule hail they descend on my neighborhood like cockroaches. I have a pre-made sign I put on my door after any storm that states "Roofing contractors I do not need my roof inspected!". It's been ignored a few times over the years. I have a ring doorbell and security cameras so I usually don't answer but I make an exception for vermin. I answer with my German Shepard who absolutely does not like strangers. They get the message.
Brian Earl Spilner
4:23p, 5/6/24
I did this in Houston for about 6 weeks for my first job out of college to make a little money. But, I was going to small businesses to sell office supplies.

One day, I was making the rounds through what seemed like a mostly empty industrial park. The last place I went, there was no business name or sign out front, but I tried the door, and it was unlocked.

There was nobody out front, and it looked like the place had either been recently abandoned, or was in the middle of renovations or something, but they trained us to keep going as far as we can until we find someone to talk to us.

Started calling out to see if anyone was there, and walked halfway down an empty hallway, before I heard someone yell (in a panicked voice) to stop. He runs out, and tells me to turn around and get out, but not in an angry tone, more so in a way that felt like he was trying to get me out of a dangerous situation immediately.

To this day I wonder what I almost walked into. Glad I didn't see something I shouldn't have...
gabehcoud
6:16p, 5/6/24
In reply to Brian Earl Spilner
That's a really long way of saying, "one time nothing happened"
javajaws
6:45p, 5/6/24
Need to make a sign that says:

Don't knock unless you have my package, my pizza, or Girl Scout Cookies.
swc93
9:05a, 5/10/24
I get cold calls and sales guys all the time at work so I am not afraid to talk to strangers and meet with people; while it can be annoying timing when I am at home I have had decent success.

Tree trimmers - they were down the street (I could see the crew) and said they had to wait for a home owner and could they trim my trees while they waited. He said $750. I said I have 150 cash on hand. Done deal, great job.

Pest Control - Guy showed me a bunch of issues I didn't notice and likely would not have noticed without him. Thanked him. Called Aggie owned ABC Pest Control to take care of it.

Internet/TV - young girl; very quick talker, really smart and pushing AT&T U-verse. Been awhile but the options available through her were way cheaper than anything I had seen. Prices had creeped up with whoever I was with, even their counter offer was high, so switched to AT&T for internet and TV; signed a two year agreement. When contract was up; the price almost tripled so switched to some else again. They give these door/door sales reps a lot of negotiation power to sign new customers banking on them not switching when the sweetheart deal expires.

House Painters - solid quote from a local vendor; don't know yet if I will use them; but I do need the wood trim cleaned and painted. Kid was so thorough I ended up recruiting him for a sales position.

Solar - have talked to different ones a couple times; last guy was great but the prices are just not there yet. It will hit that sweet spot soon though; electricity prices keep going up and solar prices keep dropping.

Roofers - first time we needed a new roof I met with 5 or 6 of these guys. Picked one and ended up using him twice; would have been a third time but family friends own a popular roofing company so used them. Put the roofer's sign in your yard asap.

When we moved to North Texas my boss at the time said to find three things; a good lawyer, a real estate agent and a roofer. Be pretty funny if lawyers went door to door.

rednecked
10:11a, 5/10/24
sometimes I just say "I rent". I don't rent.

other times, if I'm feeling it, I will ask them a series of questions
- did you graduate highschool?
-good, then I assume you can read?
- yes, so, did you bother to read the sign? I point to the no soliciting sign
-do you know what the sign means?
-then why are you knocking on my door?
- now, go away.
Claude!
10:21a, 5/10/24
On the rare occasion where I get door to door folks and the rarer occasions when I answer the door, I will open the door, say "Thanks, but I'm not interested in anything" and shut the door.

I did get got one time, though; I answered the door to a kid selling pest control services. I had a doormat that said HOWDY was wearing my Whataburger ketchup t-shirt. Guy started the conversation asking me if I went to A&M, then showed me his student ID. Not a common sight in Charlotte.
StinkyPinky
11:08a, 5/10/24
In reply to TheHappyCouch-potato
TheHappyCouch-potato said:

The Mormons showed up to my door a couple of weeks back. I was baked off of my ass and burst out laughing when they said they wanted to talk to me about Jesus. I said "We'll get together, but some other time," and shut the door in their faces.
LMAO!

StinkyPinky
11:13a, 5/10/24
In reply to Alte Schule
Alte Schule said:

Ragoo said:

For me the worst are the roofing contractors. After any storm that might produce minuscule hail they descend on my neighborhood like cockroaches. I have a pre-made sign I put on my door after any storm that states "Roofing contractors I do not need my roof inspected!". It's been ignored a few times over the years. I have a ring doorbell and security cameras so I usually don't answer but I make an exception for vermin. I answer with my German Shepard who absolutely does not like strangers. They get the message.
In college I had an 85 lb boxer while was a big wuss, looked mean as crap and loved barking at people at the door and struggled against his choker. If they went "Booo" he would probably pee himself take off and hide, but they didn't know that and was a fantastic deterrent to those I didn't want to waste my time with.
Spicy McHaggis
1:28p, 5/10/24
In reply to AgsMyDude
AgsMyDude said:

Ragoo said:

Nah the roofers that drive by after a hail storm hits the neighborhood

A pretty decent hailstorm blew through yesterday afternoon. I've already had guys from two different roofing companies knock on my door today.
Duckhook
4:12p, 5/10/24
My barber had this in his front window.

[url=https://ibb.co/3zkFgKw]
[/url]
aglaohfour
4:32p, 5/10/24
In reply to rednecked
rednecked said:

This is the most reliable way to get rid of them, in my experience. Regarding the "no soliciting" sign, I had a really pretty metal made on Etsy that said "Please no sales, no religion, no politics." Only problem was that I had it done in cursive font, and it turns out that a lot of people actually can't read cursive. Fail on my part.
Wahoo82
4:38p, 5/10/24
Have the same sign as Duckhook's barber on our front porch.
AgsMyDude
4:53p, 5/10/24
In reply to aglaohfour
aglaohfour said:

rednecked said:

This is the most reliable way to get rid of them, in my experience. Regarding the "no soliciting" sign, I had a really pretty metal made on Etsy that said "Please no sales, no religion, no politics." Only problem was that I had it done in cursive font, and it turns out that a lot of people actually can't read cursive. Fail on my part.

Genius, I'm going to say I rent now
CCred92
11:47a, 5/12/24
I tell them I am in same business as whatever they are selling.
Texker
5:40p, 5/12/24
If I don't know you I don't answer the door, or the phone.
Jugstore Cowboy
8:32p, 5/12/24
In reply to Brian Earl Spilner

Quote:

Started calling out to see if anyone was there, and walked halfway down an empty hallway, before I heard someone yell (in a panicked voice) to stop. He runs out, and tells me to turn around and get out, but not in an angry tone, more so in a way that felt like he was trying to get me out of a dangerous situation immediately.

To this day I wonder what I almost walked into. Glad I didn't see something I shouldn't have...
It was a salesman test, and you failed.

Bazooka Joe
8:53p, 5/12/24
Just had a "first" last week with a kid selling door-to-door. By kid, I mean early 20's. As I'm driving up on my home, I see this kid at my neighbors house so he's obviously making the rounds. I'm usually pretty patient about listening to the pitch because I know they're college kids with a crappy part time job.

I walk in the house and in less than a minute there's a ring at the door. I still have my gym bag over my shoulder when I answer the door. Open the door and ask the kid what's up. He's leaning against the wall and asked if he could speak to the man of the house. This didn't land well with because I haven't even unloaded my hands from work and I'm 51…so this kid is now waisting my time. I ask him directly what he's selling. He responds "my personality" to which I respond I've got plenty and SLAM.

My 12 year old was standing behind with mouth wide open. I told him it's not a good idea ti be a smart ass with someone you're trying to sell to.

First time I've ever slammed a door in the face of a salesman. Kid asked for it.
lotsofhp
4:41p, 5/14/24
I'm a roofing contractor who does not knock doors and it blows me away how many people do buy from the door knockers. They get a tremendous amount of roofs after a storm. So, yes, people do buy from them.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
5:08p, 5/14/24
What if it turns out the solicitor is your long-lost son?

Ragnar Danneskjoldd
7:15p, 5/14/24
Solar panels guy ignore two no soliciting
signs to knock on the door and say "we're just letting people know we're in the neighborhood in case you have any questions ". **** all the way off
Decay
7:51p, 5/14/24
In reply to Ragnar Danneskjoldd
Ragnar Danneskjoldd said:

Solar panels guy ignore two no soliciting
signs to knock on the door and say "we're just letting people know we're in the neighborhood in case you have any questions ". **** all the way off

get their info, decline their services, and report them to the cops for ignoring no soliciting signs
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 2
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings